Any Ideas; Humminbird 597ci HD DI depth issues

Started by jross, May 20, 2012, 11:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jross

I'm hoping that some of you more experienced boaters can help me resolve an issue with the Humminbird 597ci HD DI. I installed this new unit on my boat the other day and had the chance to take it out for a test run last night. It appears to work fine at slow speeds however, when I get moving the depth goes crazy jumping all over the place. Since this is my first boat I'm truly a novice when comes to troubleshooting, especially on electronics. I know that the install instructions talked about where to install if your boat has a "rib" but it made no mention of having two "ribs" as mine does (94 Ranger 392V with 200hp Mariner). I placed it as far starboard (about 15.5" from the motor) as I could before the rear of the boat curves. Not sure if lowering the transducer may help or if I have to move it to the curved portion or if even placing on the rib below the boat (if that's possible) would help. Any ideas, advice, experience, etc with this type of issue would be greatly appreciated. I have some photos that I could send to anyone that may need to see them to help or offer advice (the file was too large to include in this post). Look forward to some friendly assistance!

Camden

maybe turbulence off the prop causing it to go haywire? i remember mine saying something about watching out for that when installing.

Wayne P.

Post a picture of your transducer installation. Also you can use that transducer as a shoot-thru for your hull and won't have the transom mount location issues.

Camden, an outboard motor prop cannot affect a transom mounted transducer's performance unless you have the engine in reverse. A transom mounted transducer can affect the water flow to an outboard prop (causes cavitation) if it is mounted within the water flow to the prop.
Humminbird SOLIX 12 SI, SOLIX 12 SI G3, SOLIX 10 SI G3, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G3N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 10 CHIRP DI+ GPS G3N, Helix 8 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL

Camden

my bad i didnt read the part that you said it was 15.5" from the motor.

jross

Wayne - I tried to post some photos that I took this morning however the file is too large to post on this thread as an attachment. Been trying to figure out how to decrease the size but unfortunately I have yet to figure it out. I can send an email of the photos to anyone who thinks that they could help more after seeing them. From my online research it looks as though this is somewhat of a common occurrence. Most replies to others have been to either lower the transducer and/or point the end down more. Also people have mentioned lowering the surface sensitivity. The only issue I have with all that is according to the installation instructions I should be about spot on. I suppose I will try lowering the transducer more and hope that doesn't cause any other issues.

coldfront

Quote from: jross on May 20, 2012, 06:57:42 PM
Wayne - I tried to post some photos that I took this morning however the file is too large to post on this thread as an attachment. Been trying to figure out how to decrease the size but unfortunately I have yet to figure it out. I can send an email of the photos to anyone who thinks that they could help more after seeing them. From my online research it looks as though this is somewhat of a common occurrence. Most replies to others have been to either lower the transducer and/or point the end down more. Also people have mentioned lowering the surface sensitivity. The only issue I have with all that is according to the installation instructions I should be about spot on. I suppose I will try lowering the transducer more and hope that doesn't cause any other issues.

go the photobucket route...upload your images to photobucket...then you can copy/paste the 'forum' option...size will no longer be an issue.

jross

coldfront

Quote from: jross on May 21, 2012, 08:16:08 AM
Let's see if i did this right!

http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r606/jross1977/

close...  I'm not very good with this stuff...but I think it has to do whith HTML and language...

here's the 'location' of the image below and the format...
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c153/zkb0015/photobucketimage.png

here's the basic protocol:
1.  upload image,
2.  save to album
3.  hover cursor over image you want to 'share/insert'...when you do this, a 'box' will drop down (see image below) with a few options...the one you want is the IMG box...
4.  copy the contents of that box
5.  paste into the body of your post...you'll see automatically 'bracketed' with IMG and /IMG

the full format should be as follows [ IMG ] ...address/contents... [ /IMG ]

from your post, I think you have the address...but not the actual image you want to share...and it will need the IMG brackets... (that '/' is pretty important)

jross

jross

jross

jross

coldfront

nice job on the imagery...

I think you are in a turbulence zone...

jross

Coldfront...any ideas on where better placement would be?

coldfront

Quote from: jross on May 21, 2012, 10:47:45 AM
Coldfront...any ideas on where better placement would be?

not an HB guy...so my reference if from Lowrance and my lowrance manual...

I run a skimmer (aluminum boat)...and the manual wanted it closer to centerline...but not near a strake...then the surface of the skimmer had to be just a bit below the bottom of the boat so it was in full contact with a 'no-turbulence' area...(turbulence changes density of the water and impedes consistent transfer of the sonar wave)

Should be something in the HB manual on placement that should help...and then I'd suggest this:  give the HB folks a call...should be a customer service/contact number...they should be able to help...I know my Lowrance folks could/would...and I hear lots of stories about how much better HB customer service is ...  (sorry, I digress)...

here's the HB support page... http://www.humminbird.com/support/Contact_Support.aspx

Who to call:
Toll-free: 1-800-633-1468
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 4:30pm CST   

here's a PDF on transom installation of a 'ducer from HB... 

that's about as much assistance as I can provide...the folks at HB sure ought to be a lot more knowledgeable than I am...and I'm betting happy to help.

Bassthumb

your problem is the transducer is out of the water when on pad.

The ideal placement of this 'ducer is that same height, but just below the jack plate.  You get low speed (usually below 13 MPH) readings, but once the boat lifts on pad, the 'ducer is lifted out of the water (unless you drive on right circles--LoL).

You will need to be very careful when fishing stumpy area, because stumps and stickups will rip that /ducer right off, where it is at now.

Retired USAF MSgt (1W071A)            2008 Triton Tr-196
Plattsmouth, NE                  Mercury Optimax 200
B.A.S.S   NE B.A.S.S. Federation   FoMNTT participant (never again)                   Omaha-River City Bass Club

Falcon104

From the looks of your transducer placement,you need to go around 10 inches to the left and under the step.
There are 2 companys now that make transducer mounts that can be epoxied to the fiberglass(and easily removed),instead of drilling holes.
I don't have a Humminbird mounted on the transom,instead a Lowrance Skimmer,and I choose not to mount it for high speed running.
Here is a pic of my setup.

jross

Falcon-what companies make those mounts so i can look at picking one up. Also, i didn't mount it closer as i thought it had to be off to the side due to turbulence. Ill take a look at what i can do. Thanks for your help

Falcon104

http://www.sternmate.com/
http://www.histackleboxshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SternSaver
My personnal preference and the one I have installed on my boat is the Sternmate.
I have not talked to anyone that has purchased the SternSaver.

Falcon104

Also I see your at Travis AFB?
I went to C-5A AND C-141A FAM school there before I went overseas.

coldfront

Quote from: jross on May 28, 2012, 08:57:18 AM
Falcon-what companies make those mounts so i can look at picking one up. Also, i didn't mount it closer as i thought it had to be off to the side due to turbulence. Ill take a look at what i can do. Thanks for your help

jross:  falcon indicated it's not 'rigged for high speed'...which that location would be in a turbulence zone at speed if not close to out of water...  I don't have much experience with 'higher' speeds...as I run a pretty slow boat due to 40 tired horses...   ;D

Wayne P.

Yes, all of you are correct. The transducer is not in the water or in a very aerated water area when the hull is on plane.

It has have solid water (no bubbles) passing over it to give you a depth reading no matter what speed you are going.

Epoxy it inside the hull in a tested area like the installation instructions indicate.

Getting on-plane depth readings with a stepped transom hull is difficult.
Do the correct installation for your application. "One size does not fit all".
Humminbird SOLIX 12 SI, SOLIX 12 SI G3, SOLIX 10 SI G3, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G3N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 10 CHIRP DI+ GPS G3N, Helix 8 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL

Stern Saver

Quote from: jross on May 28, 2012, 08:57:18 AM

As Falcon posted, we make the Stern Saver, which is the first ever glue-on StarBoard transducer mounting system. It offers many advantages over the competing product. Some of which are; it's made from marine grade HD Polyethylene, now comes in 6 colors to best match your boat, installs in 10 minutes or less w/o any tools, half the price, forms a stronger bond to the hull, and we can do custom shapes. West Marine is about to roll it out into their stores in July. Please let me know if you have any questions about the Stern Saver and/or transducer mounting. I am here to help.

Here is a press release about the Stern Saver from the National Marine Electronics Association (NMEA) journal:
http://www.marineelectronicsjournal-digital.com/marineelectronicsjournal/20120506?pg=47#pg47

And a YouTube video of how easy it is to install in 10 minutes or less w/o any tolls required:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciy1najrIFE

Scott
Never Drill Holes In Your Boat Below The Waterline Again! Glue On A Stern Saver, The First Ever Glue-On STARBOARD Transducer Mounting System, And Eliminate Future Patch Work And Transom Rot.

Falcon104

Just watched the U Tube video on your Stern Saver. A simpler installation than my Stern Mate. I see no mounting holes etc?? I think I like the Stern Mate to the fact that you can mount the transducer anywhere on the plate without drilling any holes????
Do you supply mounting screws etc??
Thanks.

Bigwrench

I would agree with Wayne 110% ,  you need to go with the shoot thru hull option ! I am no expert but am on My second Ranger and the ducer install was an issue on both. I'm tracking bottom with pretty high speeds now since the install.

Bass Fishin & Banjer Pickin ! :)
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.