Which Smelly Jelly?

Started by TNDiver, February 02, 2012, 01:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNDiver

I want to start using Smelly Jelly and saw that there are a ton of scents for Bass so my question is has anyone used the different ones or which would you use?

http://www.outdoorproshop.com/Smelly-Jelly-Jars-p/smelly_jars.htm

Bass Feast
Bass Maxx
Crawdaddy
Crawfish
Shad
softshell crawfish
ETC, ETC, ETC!!!
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

bassindude

I have used the Garlic and the crawdad, but I mainly use to make the bait slick, and to mask my scent.  Not bought into the use as an attractant.  Jim
Jim ><///'>><///'>

Steve Reed MFT

I've always used Bass Feast - I'm just particular to that for whatever reason. Scents are a peculiar product. Scientific studies vary on the results of how effective the scents are in attracting bass - I actually use them because I believe fish hold on longer because of the texture.
Monster Fishing Tackle - http://www.monsterfishingtackle.com
-Helping make the memories that last a lifetime, by educating our customers on the proper use of the products we offer-

Andrew

I can't seem to get into using scents. Especially spray on scents. I believe soon as they hit the water it's gone off the bait. The one I have used and still use on a rare whim is Megastrike. It actually stays on the bait and there is no scent to it, it's all about the taste of it with Megastrike. I can not however say it's ever been a deciding factor when catching bass long using it.
Everyone talks about rock these days; the problem is they forget about the roll - Keith Richards

coldfront

crawdaddy and they also make one that's orange with glitter...get that one if you can for 'craw flavor' on your baits.

I also like to keep a bottle of the sticky liquid in shad/baitfish (green)  put a drop/two in the hook slot of my flukes...really seems to help the fish hold on to them a lot better.

does this stuff work?  I believe it does.  Not to attract, that's the job of the lure action/shape.  But once that bait is in their mouth, that's when this stuff does it's job.  Helps them hold on longer and let me  figure out 'they have it'...

I use these things for my soft plastic jig trailers, worms, c-rig baits, tubes, flukes, senkos, brushhogs...beavers...all of it....whether I go craw of shad depends on what the fish are keying on (or what I think they're keying on)...

Good luck

Kal-Kevin

I use Megastrike for two main reasons first is I do not like to dip my bait in scent and lose most do to dripping off before the cast. As for the sprays, again you lose most when it misses the bait and lands in the water.

NateG

I like Kickin Bass. I don't know that it attracts fish, but it holds a scent for about a week.  Works for me.

bass1cpr

I'll second the bass feast from smelly jelly, also garlic because all bass are Italian.  lo  I do use others Mega Strike is one, but garlic is still one scent I've almost always have on mainly because I use Spike-it on almost everything.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

gillrod2728

How often do yall aplly the stuff like mega strike or smelly jelly? Every cast? Every other cast? Every few casts?
"Kistler Rods Team" "Eye Crossin Custom Lures"  "Fishwhittler Custom Lures" "Knawbone Jigs" "Big River Tackle"

kidd

I used the crawfish smelly jelly last year for the first time and although I didn't catch more fish using it I'm convinced the fish held on to my jig longer which really helped on the softer bite.  You'll run out quick if you apply it every other cast.  I'd usually reapply after a catch.

gillrod2728

Quote from: BUZZKIDD on February 02, 2012, 10:32:46 PM
I used the crawfish smelly jelly last year for the first time and although I didn't catch more fish using it I'm convinced the fish held on to my jig longer which really helped on the softer bite.  You'll run out quick if you apply it every other cast.  I'd usually reapply after a catch.
sounds good thanks
"Kistler Rods Team" "Eye Crossin Custom Lures"  "Fishwhittler Custom Lures" "Knawbone Jigs" "Big River Tackle"

Andrew

Quote from: gillrod2728 on February 02, 2012, 10:26:34 PM
How often do yall aplly the stuff like mega strike or smelly jelly? Every cast? Every other cast? Every few casts?

I would apply it about every ten or more casts. If hot weather maybe more often. It stays on pretty good. If I was pulling plastics through grass I might put it on every few casts cause it would get wore off more easily in grass.

It's not thin stuff. Kinda like the texture of a tube of toothpaste. In fact it looks like a tube of toothpaste. But if it's summer time or hot I'd leave it out of the sun cause it will liquify pretty easily. Just put in your cooler for few minutes and it will reset to it's original form. You don't have to worry bout getting it all over the place and no smell to stink or stain your boat up like just plain scents will. There is no scent in it at all. It's made of amino acids that stimulate a fishes receptors and glands. A very small dab of it will go a long ways.
Everyone talks about rock these days; the problem is they forget about the roll - Keith Richards

coldfront

Quote from: BUZZKIDD on February 02, 2012, 10:32:46 PM

I get the 'larger' jar..as the smaller ones aren't available locally.  that 'larger jar?  I'll use about 15-20% in a season (on the water 2x/week from April through end of October..plus a couple week long trips)

I just put a small amount on my fingertips and smear it on the bait..not wanting an 'orange' coating...when it gets 'thinner' it goes 'clear'..a little goes a long way.

two things: 
1.  I'll reapply after a catch.
2.  there are days the fish prefer no scent.

bass78

I use the garlic smelly jelly and the garlic dip and glow.  Garlic has been more productive for me than any of the others.
JJ's Magic Prostaff, The Rod Glove Pro Staff, Extreme Sunglasses Pro Staff,    Blue Sports Outdoors Pro staff,

coldfront

Quote from: bass78 on February 03, 2012, 07:08:39 AM
I use the garlic smelly jelly and the garlic dip and glow.  Garlic has been more productive for me than any of the others.

must be those cajun bass versus these yankee bass up here   ;D

on another note, a friend of mine thinks that different 'scents/flavors' perform best in specific water temperature ranges... ~shhh

jocko

I use smelly jelly craw.  I only use it during pre-spawn or winter conditions with tough bites.  Times when I let the bait sit for a long while (10 minute cast).  I only apply it to soft plastic -say a tube, jig chunk, grubs, or twin tail hula grub.  AND I only apply it once and that's it.  The stuff is like vasiline and it stays on.  I have confidence in it during tough cold water fishing.  When fish are active - why mess with it or bother?  It's not needed. 

I have proved to myself and others - time and time again,  that two identical baits - one with and one without,  the smelly jelly in the winter will outfish a non scented bait everytime.  Again,  only when fishing is real tough and slow.  I don't need it on a moving bait.  I don't miss alot of bass for not holding on long enough....  \

TNDiver

Thanks everyone.  I purchased the Bass Feast and the Craw with glitter (orange) with a tube of Megastrike as well.  If all else fails and I forget my lunch, at least I will have something to snack on!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

coldfront

Quote from: TNDiver on February 04, 2012, 11:22:45 AM
Thanks everyone.  I purchased the Bass Feast and the Craw with glitter (orange) with a tube of Megastrike as well.  If all else fails and I forget my lunch, at least I will have something to snack on!

as anglers we all have our favorites...I've run across a bunch of folks who love megastrike.  I still stick to the smelly jelly.  Or  ~shhh a product made by a friend of mine...

If you can stay the course...post back on your experiences/thoughts between the two products at the end of the year...an 'unbiased' opinion/experience thing would be interesting.

TNDiver

iClass

Quote from: TNDiver on February 04, 2012, 11:22:45 AM
What? No Garlic!!!  Man, garlic on a bait always makes me hungry! 

I love smelly jelly for punching as it "lubes" everything up and aids it in slipping through the vegetation.  I almost always dip the tails of any soft plastic with garlic scent. I use JJ's Magic as they have multiple colors and the most concentrated scents I have ever used.

TNDiver

Quote from: iClass on February 05, 2012, 09:23:24 AM
What? No Garlic!!!  Man, garlic on a bait always makes me hungry! 

I already have the Spike it in Garlic!  But man does that stuff smell!!

jocko

I keep all my gear in my garage.  I had some Garlic baits that were so strong - my wife threatened to leave if I didn't get rid of them.  The baits had to go.  I can't keep any garlic baits or powerbaits in the garage without hearing something about it.  She's got a nose like a bloodhound!

gillrod2728

Quote from: jocko on February 06, 2012, 12:41:38 PM
I keep all my gear in my garage.  I had some Garlic baits that were so strong - my wife threatened to leave if I didn't get rid of them.  The baits had to go.  I can't keep any garlic baits or powerbaits in the garage without hearing something about it.  She's got a nose like a bloodhound!
To funny my wife is the same.  She threatend to throw all my powerbait away cause it kept stinking my fishing room up.  She has to walk by it daily   So I had to like triple ziplock bag all of it.

iClass

Wait...Let me get this straight...
Garlic + Powerbait = wife disappearing??? >:D  Just Kidding I love my wife! ~b~   

jocko

We stuck the garlic baits in a buddies pick up under the seat.  (grumpy old men style).  Didn't take him long too find them and have a laugh.  He ended up fishing them (senko style bait) and asked me for more!  I guess he got the last laugh.