Boat Salvage Yard-

Started by JMackey98, July 26, 2011, 11:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMackey98

Looking for a swing away style trailer for a a TZX190.  Does anyone know of a salvage yard where insurance companies take the boats that may have been totaled on the water leaving the trailer to salvage?

Mike Cork

Dealerships usually end up with this kind of stuff.  Check all your local ones then start expanding the distance. You can let your dealer know what your looking for and he may have a network that can find it?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

-Joe-

If you have a trailer and are looking for a swing away tongue, they sell the  kits to modify your existing trailer. I have seen several people do this and the only recommendation I've heard was to weld it also instead of bolt only. Here is a link to the 3 X 3 channel trailers.

Swing Away Hitch

bassindude

Im going to modify mine sometime in the near future.  Ill take pics when I do.  I alrready modified it to where the tongue slides in.  I had to do that to gget it in the new garage, but I really want the swing arm.  Just have to fab the parts. Jim
Jim ><///'>><///'>

JMackey98

Thanks for the info...But when you convert a traditional trailer you don't get the full length reduction because of where the side rails are welded to the center support.  Plus the wench for the bow is a more verticle in design which allows it to be placed further reaward on the trailer. 

Mike Cork

You've got me really thinking about this one lo

I totalled a boat on a hwy once and it was taken to a auto wrecking yard.  Shortly after that it was in the papers for sale lo

You might try calling your local wreckers and ask them what they do with them?  But if a wrecker had it, more than likely it wouldn't be in the best of shape.....

I wonder if I totalled my boat on the water if the insurance company would even worry about the trailer? Or if they would just let you keep it or if they would take it and sell it?  Not really sure what happens in this situation. 

To get an answer try calling a local mechanic and find out what the area adjusters name and number is for a couple different insurance companies.  The mechanics know most of them by name.  Then you could call and adjuster and see if you could get some "of the record" info on what they do with them.  The adjuster is the one that coordinates all these type of things and would know where they end up. :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service