how "FAST" is your Bass Tracker ???

Started by HondoBassPro, July 17, 2011, 11:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HondoBassPro

I am trying to figure out how fast my Tracker should go and how (if possible) it can go faster with minor tweaks.

How fast does your tracker go ?  include your setup config too please.

my boat is...

2008 Tracker Pro team 175 TXW (max hp 75 hp)
2008 Mercury 50 hp ELPTO with approx 16-17 hours on it.
Prop is whatever came standard on the engine.

typical weight, 350lb (2 people), PLUS fishing tackle, life jackets - so maybe 400 lb total.

my speedometer has never read more than 25 mph, yesterday it was 14 mph
so it took me twice as long to get there, I guess.  I used my phone GPS to
see what it was and I was hovering between

31- 32 mph      :shocking:

what Prop would give the best top end speed ?

-Bryan-

Unfortunately, I would have to say "it is what it is"...I think you are about as fast as you are going to be.  I heard this a lot when I was selling boats.  It was always my suggestion for folks to max the HP at the time of purchase because that's when it's the cheapest.  At the very most, you are going to get 1 or 2 mph more, and that's gonna cost you...new prop (talking stainless steel) is going to be several hundred dollars unless you can pick up a good used one, and that is still going to be a few bucks.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Brummo

2011 175 TXW with '11 75 HP Optimax
2 guys, gear, Drinks full of fuel...
Speedo says 43-44, but Gps is right at 40-41.  SS prop would help me too.
2011 175 TXW: 2011 75 HP OPtimax, Clarion CMS1, Humminbird 597 CI HD DI, Minnkota 55# trolling motor

Frdtrtnfx4

2006 PT 175 with a 2005 mercury bigfoot 60hp 2-stroke, SS Vengence Prop. With just me 44mph, 2 guys 42mph, 3 guys 40-41mph as per speedo in boat.

fish bone

2010 bass tracker 175 with 90 elpto  jack plate and 24p tp prop hit 53mph i could get more with a higher picth but its right on i thank you can get the 90 tags for your 08 if you want the best speed that your boat can handle the thing about the max moter is that you want wonder all the time

SoFLnative

Quote from: HondoBassPro on July 17, 2011, 11:22:53 AM
I am trying to figure out how fast my Tracker should go and how (if possible) it can go faster with minor tweaks.

How fast does your tracker go ?  include your setup config too please.

my boat is...

2008 Tracker Pro team 175 TXW (max hp 75 hp)
2008 Mercury 50 hp ELPTO with approx 16-17 hours on it.
Prop is whatever came standard on the engine.

typical weight, 350lb (2 people), PLUS fishing tackle, life jackets - so maybe 400 lb total.

my speedometer has never read more than 25 mph, yesterday it was 14 mph
so it took me twice as long to get there, I guess.  I used my phone GPS to
see what it was and I was hovering between

31- 32 mph      :shocking:

what Prop would give the best top end speed ?

I had a 50 eplto prior to repowering. The best prop was a 15 pitch trophy sport plus. I saw 36 gps with one person.
2008 PT 175
2009 90 Opti
MJ5 jackplate
25 trophy
54.6 (gps)

Goldstar225

'87 Tracker pro tournament 17 with '86 yamaha 70HP, very dented hull from stumps.  35 MPH GPS with two men and gear.

Brummo

2011 175 TXW with '11 75 HP Optimax
2 guys, gear, Drinks full of fuel...
Speedo says 43-44, but Gps is right at 40-41.  SS prop would help me too.

Forgot to add 13x19 P facotry aluminum prop. @5500 Rpm
2011 175 TXW: 2011 75 HP OPtimax, Clarion CMS1, Humminbird 597 CI HD DI, Minnkota 55# trolling motor

bass1cpr

My 87 Tournament V 17 Tracker with 75 horse Mariner and 21 pitch stainless steel prop runs 41 mph, good chop runnin with the wind. 39 runnin into the wind, two guys fully loaded on both runs. Gps checked about the same.

My 2002 with a Merc 25 big foot four stroke runs about 18 mph, 9 pitch aluminum prop, still looking for a stainless prop for it.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

pilgrim

2004 PT185 90 ELPTO 21P stock Mercury aluminum prop -42 MPH

RGM

New 2011 175txw with 60 4 stroke top out at 6000rpm and 36 mph with full load and just me in boat. Fast enough since the lake I fish most of the time has a 35 mph speed limit. I don,t catch too many fish going that speed however.  lol

tsmith35

Heh, here's a guy with an '88 Bass Tracker and a 150 Black Max running 58mph:

bass1cpr

tsmith that's afiberglass tracker with the 150.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

tsmith35

Are the alum. Trackers slower than fiberglass? Strangely, the one in the video never looks like it gets on plane like some other boats.

bass1cpr

Your wright tsmith it didn't look like it was getting up very well at all just shows that some people only think that waht they are doing is cool.  ~roflmao  But hey he's on the Web.  lo
   Yes to the other part of your question glass boats generally are faster than aluminum. It comes down to the efficencey of the hull design, you can mold fiberglass to do things that can't be done with working flat plate into an aluminum hull. No two welds are exactly the same, so no two joints are ever going to be exactly the same. You can meet tollerances for production, but it's not the same as having a mold that can produce the same thing over and over.

-Bryan-

'03 Tracker Avalanche...150 EFI, factory 23 pitch tempest...she'll bump 60 GPS on a good day with just me but full gear, gas, etc. and I ain't afraid to trim it up like the sissy on the video...but the Avalanche is the formed aluminum hull that looks like a glass boat.

[attachment outdated - deleted by admin]

tsmith35

Quote from: -Bryan- on July 25, 2011, 03:38:00 PMthe Avalanche is the formed aluminum hull that looks like a glass boat.

Wow, that's pretty cool. Fiberglass shape, aluminum strength. What the max HP allowed on that?

-Bryan-

Quote from: tsmith35 on July 25, 2011, 10:08:19 PM
What the max HP allowed on that?
Max is 175.  When I bought mine, the Opti-Max was still experiencing problems so I went with the 150 EFI, if I could come up with the cash, I'd re-power to a 175 Opti.