Sway me the right way please

Started by gdaddybassmaster, December 13, 2010, 07:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gdaddybassmaster

I am having a heck of a time making a decision!  I am nearly 100% in shallow water guy 5 ft and less, do a lot of frog and dock fishing. So here's my issue:  Got the green light go from the Mrs (Spend up to $1,400) for a fishfinder.

Now you should know currently I have a Lowrance 135 on the console and a eagle 480 at the bow.

Option one: buy a 898 SI and move the X135 to the bow

Option two: Buy 2 new units that feature only DI and not side imaging (Elite 5 DI or a bird 597 HD DI)

Which you would you go??

PS: Last year she bought me a power pole (I have a great wife) 
GD

Lee Smith

If it where me, I'd have the side imaging system.  You can see under those docs and may find a few little hiding places you never knew was there!

Great Wife brother!!    ;)
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

fishin couillon

It's a hard decisio. But I think I would opt for a side scan unit cause you will have down scan also but not sure DS will be much  of benefit in such shallow water. The side scan will help out. Then later in the future you can add another $1400 unit.

gdaddybassmaster

Thanks guys!  To others:  keep them coming: its a big chunk of change so I wish to make the best choice.

GD

coldfront

>:D

I'd stick with Lowrance...that way you can network with whichever unit you move to the bow...

by the way, very nice article on side imaging in this month's FLW mag (bass edition)

fishin couillon

IMO it would be a waist of money to link the 135 as all it shares is nema sensors. Then the Eagle 480 can't be linked cause it's not nema compatible. The only thing would be nema 0183.

coldfront

Quote from: fishin couillon on December 13, 2010, 10:13:13 PM
IMO it would be a waist of money to link the 135 as all it shares is nema sensors. Then the Eagle 480 can't be linked cause it's not nema compatible. The only thing would be nema 0183.

I'm pretty sure I can link my LMS480 into the NMEA system with my HDS-7...might be wrong...

fishin couillon

Coldfront, yes on your lowrance 480 as it is nema 2000. His post mentioned Eagle 480.

coldfront

Quote from: fishin couillon on December 14, 2010, 10:52:41 AM
Coldfront, yes on your lowrance 480 as it is nema 2000. His post mentioned Eagle 480.

sorry...my mistake...I used to have an Eagle 240 up front...and then learned that they aren't compatible with Lowrance units... ~rant  ...  need separate power cords, etc...it's like they're 'reverse engineered'...

gdaddybassmaster

My boat came with the X135 and nothing up at the bow except a plate. I added the Eagle 480 via a e-bay bid.  Its now time to upgrade to newer technology! I also had a eagle 502 IGPS ram mounted off the console and it gave up the ghost during a rain storm at a tourney.   

I will either leave the X185 mounted in the dash or take it off and use a block off plate. 

To be honest: I would rather mount a new drop in unit in the dash but I already drilled the holes for the ram mount.  I never expected a 2 year old GPS to die!

GD 

Furflys

I love my Side Image. Being able to see under docks etc.. If you get a 900 or 1100 HB you will get down image also. Bought a "new" 1197 on ebay for $1695.00 just shop around. I am sure you can find a deal.
www.therodglove.com
Dobyns Rods - Pro Staff
Oxygenator - Pro Staff

Sc Bassin

I have been told that in 5 ft of water or less SI is a waste of money.

coldfront

Quote from: Sc Bassin on December 14, 2010, 10:43:24 PM

there is an excellent article in FLW this month...

as to the above comment, and as a user of side imaging:  I disagree entirely with that philosophy.

stickum

I would go with the si, whichever brand you like, then upgrade the x135 later.

DougV

Quote from: Sc Bassin on December 14, 2010, 10:43:24 PM

Well I totally disagree with that because that is where I use mine most of the time! And it where I feel Side Imaging is the most beneficial tool because of the great coverage area. Going to use 6' of water because it's easier to divide quickly. 20° - 2D sonar has a coverage area of 1/3 of depth so you only have about a 2 Foot Circle of coverage. 60° sonar has equal to depth coverage so you have 6 Foot Circle of Coverage. with Humminbirds 455 kHz you get 180° of coverage so you can look at hundreds of feet to the sides not under the boat. Aren't you casting away from the boat in less than 6' of water????

Here's some images that prove Humminbird Side Imaging works in less than 6 Foot of Water and the Greatest Asset of a Coverage Area, Coverage Area, Coverage Area!

Grass Beds in 4.7':

Stumps and Baitfish in 1.7 Foot: (Humminbird 898c)

And More Shallow Images:

O.7 Foot!!!!

gdaddybassmaster

OK I am sold on it's ability! Now can someone please help me understand the images?
Meaning: I cant make out a stump from a baitfish on the images posted.

Is it just time on the water with the new unit thats needed?

The Bird 898 might be the winner.

GD

coldfront

this is deeper water...but still might help (images from my HDS7)...
in the lower left, you can see a creek channel...on the bottom of this channel are some old 'beds' probably bluegill...(they're the dark 'dimples' on the bottom.

to the right side of the screen is the other part of the channel...there is a 'tree' standing on the edge...and you can see the long black 'shadow' stretching to the left...

Back to the channel lip on the left side...see those 'donuts'?  those are tires...laid along the lip of the channel edge...

On the 'upper right' of the image....you can see a hump...built by mounding dirt during reservoir construction...

you are correct in that it does take a bit of time on the water to get comfortable with the imagery...but it's so much more intuitive than what sonar has offered for many years...you'll be fine...and you'll find a lot of uses to fit with your preferred style of angling...and my guess is, you may not easily share 'all you learn' as it'll give you some advantages...   lo

and when you look at this image, you'll notice it's from my home PC screen (screen capture)...one of the real fun parts of this technology is to also play it back in the comfort of my desk chair...on a 19 inch monitor...scrolling forward/backwards...making notes...reviewing/learning from my time on the water...not just 'when' I'm on the water...

clarker2000

Below is a picture from a local reservoir that a buddy of mine took this year.  As you can see its a full blown house.  Windows and all.  He has the HB and I have lowrance.  Depends on what brand your partial to?  The detail you see is incredible to say the least. The ability to locate baitfish and seperate weeds from trees and rocks from pea gravel is one of the greatest benefits I like.  I would highly reccomend the down and side scan.   This picture is just one of many we are finding; bridges, houses, foundations, rock walls etc..

Quote from: BassthumbJE on May 30, 2010, 11:32:53 AM

this technology is amazing    ~c~   ~c~   .....my humminbird was money well spent!!!   everyone know what the pic is of and where it was taken??  ....lets hear some interpretations.
Owner/Sales/Installer at www.Reservoirboatworks.com

coldfront

Quote from: clarker2000 on December 16, 2010, 05:44:37 AM
I would highly reccomend the down and side scan.   This picture is just one of many we are finding; bridges, houses, foundations, rock walls etc..

finding those little 6 inch depressions running through large flats is MUCH easier with the side imaging tech...and since I 'think' that most of the obvious spots have already been 'educated'...the secondary/tertiary 'holding/feeding' locations for fish is what this technology is so good at 'exposing'...and locating...

this image doesn't look like much...it's actually an old 'borrow' area (where soil was scraped up to build jetties)...and you can see the 'scrape ridges' left...they're approaximately 6 inches to a foot tall...and do hold fish at certain times of the year...to the intelligent angler to find (I am not the one who found this spot; I am not that smart)...

here's another shot of an area that gives up some fish for those who 'find' it...

I labeled a couple things on it...and blocked out the GPS coordinates... >:D

it's a pic taken while motoring across a point...of an old channel swing...the dark line indicates the old bank...that now has a bit of a 'slump' to it...but at one time I think it was pretty steep and perhaps a bit undercut...the depth change on this channel lip is about a foot I think...maybe two...

with the lack of vegetation and standing timber...the 'small stuff' like drainage depressions, lone rocks, stumps...the subtle stuff...is what holds the fish...this technology really helps quickly and efficiently locate promising areas and to me, most importantly - gives me the visual. logical understanding of how it 'lays out'...it's like I can see the bottom of a 'drained lake'...and that is HUGE

Lee Smith

Great shot's everyone!  No question in my mind, SI is the way to go  ;D
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods