Best spots for Smallmouth?

Started by HammytheFisherman, May 30, 2010, 10:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HammytheFisherman

Okay so I have never actually caught one of those bronze/striped fish that we call Smallmouth. I've always targeted largemouth bass and have never even caught a random smallie.

To keep it short, where are the best places to get into some good smallmouth fishing? I know the upper susq can usually produce nice smallies as well as conowingo(which I've never really fished). Like I said I've just never had the luck of catching one nor have I ever tried to catch them.

I would just like to try and catch some nice smallies one day while out on the water. I've heard they are a lot of fun to catch. ~gf Any tips as far as lures would help too although I was under the impression then hit the same stuff that we use on LM. :-\
-Team Outcast

CharlieD

Need to go out with Bill and I Hammy. We have a few smally spots in the Susky. You can also wade Deer Creek pretty much anywhere in Harford County and catch them if you want to do it from shore. I bet the upper parts of the Gunpowder would have them too - just never tried there.

Team Outcast Bass Club -www.facebook.com/teamoutcast

wvbassangler

River systems hold good smallies if you can find current you will find some smallies I prefer a tube in a dirty craw color good luck
Charleston, West Virginia

Joe Essex Bass DeVoe

If you dont mind wading you can fish the susky around the port deposit area(rt 222) and lm sure you willcatch some smallies. hit them early in the am with topwater and grubs around current. If you want to use your boat go up to conowingo in the fall all the way up to the islands and your sure to find so nice smallies up there...

HammytheFisherman

Quote from: CharlieD on May 30, 2010, 10:52:15 AM
Need to go out with Bill and I Hammy. We have a few smally spots in the Susky. You can also wade Deer Creek pretty much anywhere in Harford County and catch them if you want to do it from shore. I bet the upper parts of the Gunpowder would have them too - just never tried there.

Lets go! ~shade We will def have to get out one of these days... assuming my schedule works with yours and Bills! lo
-Team Outcast

crankin 4 bass

I have never caught one too.  Hopefully I can fit into their schedule too one day.   :) ~gf
Team Outcast Bass Club -www.facebook.com/teamoutcast

finfinder

Josh
I just caught some nice smallies this weekend up on Conowingo.  It seems like I always manage to catch them even if I target largemouth.  I was tossing senco's for LMB and nailed some good sized smallies.  Mostly though I will toss a tube if I am targeting smallmouth bass.

They have more fight per pound than any LMB of equal size.