Navigation RULES

Started by flying wasp, May 13, 2010, 09:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flying wasp

I dont want to go off on a rant with this but whoever was on the upper bay (flats) this afternoon coming in from Northeast River was absolutely in the WRONG with their "Navigation skills". When you have two boats in a "head on"  situation you are supposed to pass on the Port side which is the left!!!! However, you decided to try and cross me which created us both to do a zig zag and almost collide!!!!! You would have been just fine if you had stayed on the path in which you were heading but you nearly caused a really bad collision. Take the time and read the navigation rules of your boat before you almost kill someone else.  ~xyz ~xyz ~xyz ^-^ ~rahttp://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navrules/navrules.htmnt ~rant ~rant^-^

Rule 14

(a)    Unless otherwise agreed [Inld] When two power-driven vessels are meeting on reciprocal or nearly reciprocal courses so as to involve risk of collision each shall alter her course to starboard so that each shall pass on the port side of the other.
(b)     Such a situation shall be deemed to exist when a vessel sees the other ahead or nearly ahead and by night she could see the masthead lights of the other in a line or nearly in a line and/ [Intl] or both sidelights and by day she observes the corresponding aspect of the other vessel.

(c)     When a vessel is in any doubt as to whether such a situation exists she shall assume that it does exist and act accordingly.

i dont normally post on this site but i dont need to be killed because of someone who doesnt know the rules.
Team Outcast Member
Zipper Worm Company Pro Staff,St. Croix Pro Staff,
Gamma Fishing Line Pro Staff

hockeyref

Did you see what the boat was. This time of year you get guys from PA and DE coming down and some of them just do not know the river and running in a area that scare them.
BALTIMORE SAINTS SPIECAL HOCKEY
Team Outcast
TBF Maryland

flying wasp

Bass boat, dark grey, couldnt see the hull # or the state , unfortunately. it looked like an aluminum boat though but i could be wrong. it happened pretty quick. if it wasnt for me entertaining a friend on the boat and being short on time i would have gone after them. i would rather fish than fight.
Team Outcast Member
Zipper Worm Company Pro Staff,St. Croix Pro Staff,
Gamma Fishing Line Pro Staff

Sam I am

People always argue the boating lisc topic... I think it should need to be re taken every two or three years. I am also against the age limit topic.. I don't care how old you are, you should need one. It also peeves me off when they are out checking fish but there are 10,000,000,000 people out there getting as drunk as possible and then driving back.. When that woman drove THROUGH the marina in HDG last year I thought DNR would get a wake up call... Guess not, because I still don't see them anywhere.

Middle River is the worst. I got a kick out of it two or three years ago, the BC water patrol would all be tied up at someones house sitting on the deck eating. They are watching the mayhem and not doing anything, while 40' boats are going 15knots in the no wake zone, while kayakers are dodging bullets.

My GF's god parents have a 36' cruiser.. their whole agenda when on the boat is to kill as many coor's lights as possible. I am all for having fun, but it gets dangerous. Last year her god father drove his boat right into one of the shipping channel bouys on the bay, it did about $40k in damage to his hull. If he wasn't within eyesight of the marina it would have sank. In one hour the hull was resting on the bottom in 6' of water. They had to get a special boat to pump out enough water for the travel lift to get it out. Last weekend was the first time they took it out since it's repair... Killed two 30packs in a few hours between the four people on board.. didn't learn a thing.

Yestarday on the Potomac, I was pushing through 3'ers... The tide was going against the wind, it was rough... Another bass boat actually passed me within feet of me? The river is 4 miles wide there??? I had no idea he was there until I saw his motor. If I would have had to turn because of a log, he would have been into my side...

Same goes for cars... To hell with the guy the drove into my trailer on Indian Head yestarday... Said he couldn't see my boat?? It's 20' long and had to cover on.. It's shiney silver? Retard!

~roflmao I should have stayed in bed

hockeyref

I agree SAM i am i have to take safety course for boating even though i have been boating since i was 16. But  some of my family including my wife and brother can borrow my boat go out not knowing a dam thing and go any where because they were born before the special date.
BALTIMORE SAINTS SPIECAL HOCKEY
Team Outcast
TBF Maryland