Pocomoke River

Started by ffjosh, May 12, 2010, 03:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffjosh

Im thinking of trying the pocomke river for the first time tomorrow. Any suggestions on where to go or what to throw also what is the best ramp to use.

Sam I am

Shad Landing State Park has a wonderful ramp and marina.

I like 4" Berkley Power Worms in Red Shad, 1/4oz white/chart spinnerbaits, small chart. black back cb's, and green pumpkin jigs.

Go to the mouth of Corkers creek where it meets the river and work that area, especially the cypress knub island on the left. The first 1/4mile of Nassawango Creek. Fish the shoreline right by the country club. Just past the country club is a small small feeder creek, only about 4-5' wide, fish the drop in front, and the pads in it's mouth. Directly across the river are a bunch of cypress islands, work those good too....

I grew up fishing that place, it's the pretiest river in Md., maybe one of in the country.

bman13

That place was on fire three weeks ago. Had 13lbs in a club tournament. Caught all off cypress trees. I agree it is one of the prettiest rivers in MD.

bman13

also meant to say that second place had 12lbs and third had 11lbs. Ive never seen that big of weights on that river.

Sam I am

About 20yrs ago that river was the hottest in the mid atlantic. There were tx's galore there, more then the river could handle. This was also during the times when fish came to the scales on chain stringers. As anyone knows these days, a body of water can only handle so much of that... I can recall watching guys weigh in 20lb bags quite a bit. The parking lot at Shad landing would be into the over fill area by the campground. If the normal parking lot is full, the river is beyond packed, as it isn't much smaller then Smallwoods.. but the river is barely as wide as the back of Mattawoman. Once the late 80's hit, the river was a graveyard for largemouth fishing, and the crappies and white/yellow perch seemed like the only thing worth fish for. DNR implemented a long drawn out revitalization process for stocking the bass back. In the mid 90's we had the drought, which brought the salt line really far up, and we were catching bluefish by the state park... Not very good for young of the year fish. The river also used to harbor a huge shad population (hence shad landing state park), and it was all species of shad. The river is starting to replenish, and those 13" fish from a few years ago should be growing up and getting bigger.

I love going there and watching the alligator gar roll, the trukeys goble, and the sika deer peer through the swamp. It is also the most northern cypress swamp in the U.S. I also believe it is the deepest natural shipping channel in the mid-atlantic? I recall being in 75' of water within a cast of shore, though it is only 3 casts wide it seems.. I stopped going there so much when the O.C. traffic became insane. If you come home on a Sunday afternoon, that 2-2 1/2hr trip can turn into 4-5hrs easily.

NitroBoy8

hellbendernut

Something i wanted to share.... The Pocomoke River is awesome and beautiful....i am 47 years old now and live in Pa... i go to the Pocomoke at least once a year..bass fishing of cours... and love it... when i was a kid (13yo) I had a dream while i was in OC that i went bass fishing on a river with lily pads... at that time i didnt know the Pocomoke existed.... Was this dreaming the future..or what causes dejuveu? life can be amazing....
oh yeah back to the reason for clicking on this post.... Try a buzzbait...its a fun way to catch them....
" Get The Net! "