Rocky Gorge and Triadelphia Pike and Tigers

Started by T-Bone, May 10, 2010, 02:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Bone

Anyone specifically target Northerns/Muskie in the WSSC lakes?  What lures and patterns have worked best for you in the past?

Thanks,
T

Reservoir Runner

T-Bone, I don't specifically fish for northerns/muskies at the reservoirs. You might try deep running plugs such as the old "Hellbenders", a gold # 5 Mepps spinner might also work for you. I haven't caught a northern in many years at the reservoir, but they are still there, they are just hard to catch once the water warms up. I don't recall there being any muskies in the reservoirs.

clarker2000

Some of the reservoirs have tigers. I belive the gorge, tridelphia and black hills.  Black Hills is known for the tiger.  While I dont target them the guys that do are throwing very large swim baits, large inline spinners, big plugs and jerkbaits. 

I had a monster pike break me off at the gorge this past weekend and I have either caught or been wth someone that has caught a nice pike at the gorge.  I have caught the majority of my pike on big jerkbaits.  hey get pretty big there too.  Hold on tight!!!!!  Good Luck.
Owner/Sales/Installer at www.Reservoirboatworks.com

T-Bone

Sounds good clarker2000, I will be looking at getting some 5-6 inch Husky Jerks for the Gorge.  What colors work well? Are they more into silver because of the Gizzard Shads or are they like the ones up north and love chasing weird colors like clown and firetiger?

Reservoir Runner, could I substitute the hellbender with a Rapala magnum diving x rap or super shad rap?  What colors do you recommend?

Thanks!

Reservoir Runner

Yes, you can substitute the Hellbender with a Rapala. I would use the black/silver color, gold, and any pattern that resembles the forage-shad, gold shiner, etc. I forgot that they stopped making Hellbenders many years ago although Pradco baits has them available. 

T-Bone

I don't have a kayak yet, so I was wondering which of the shorelines I could work?  I know the Scott's Cove area has a very nice point at the bottom that I could try casting deep running cranks.  Also the Browns Bridge area has more a deep to shallow transition which would be good for jerkbaits.  Suplee Road is next to some coves that run very deep.  I may try deep running a rattletrap or jigging some 6 or 7 inch gulp minnows there.

Reservoir Runner

T Bone, I would give Scott's Cove and Supplee Lane a shot. They both have good deep water access and you don't have to hike too far to reach it. Brown's Bridge does not have a lot of "shore fishing" area available at this point- the water level is super high there and it just about covers all the shoreline fishing area's.

NitroBoy8

If you can find deep grass beds and throw big silver spoons. When your about to take your bait out of the water make sure there isnt one following it because they often follow baits without biting. I've never fished the reservoirs for it but i have caught northerns elsewhere using that technique.

hellbendernut

Piney Run Lake also has LARGE Tiger Muskie.....i have hooked a few.. and have seen GIANTS swimming around.....  If you want to catch a Tiger Muskie don't think they will be around here forever... Tiger Muskie dont reproduce and the DNR has stopped buying them to stock in Maryland lakes because recently the supplier had problems with a fish (bacteria) disease.... So the DNR has no plans to stock more of these fish in the maryland lakes..they are affraid... . SO, In a few years the ones which are their now will die of old age and that maybe the end of Tiger Muskie for maryland anglers.....
" Get The Net! "