Curtis Bay / Furnance Creek

Started by Litzy, May 07, 2010, 12:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Litzy

Has anyone ever fished the area of Curtis Bay back around the Coast Guard Yard? There looks to be allot of sunken wooden boats and loads of structure. Not sure if there are any Bass in there or not. I you have any information please let me know. T

greg hall

NO bass that Ive ever heard of only bass is in the Patasaco river & Bellegrove pond area.Bear creek is suppose to have bass in the back.

bigjim5589

Anythings possible.  ::)  There are bass in the Magothy River now & there didn't used to be. Curtis Creek & Furnace Creek used to be very polluted, and likely may still be too much so to support bass, but I know some guys who catch White Perch in both, and Striper's are caught at the mouth of both so there may be a few bass as well. Only one way to find out!  ~shade  ~gf
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

basspro15

Whats up with bellegrove? Is it any good?  Ive heard about it butnever gave it a shot.

Sam I am

Lots of yellow and white perch, small rockfish throughout the year... A few, but very rare largemouths. I grew up within minutes of there, and one of my best friends grew up on the water there. We would have a bunch of crab traps out and rarely there would be a largemouth in one of them, but never a good sized one. I still go out on the creek all the time, but thats to go to Ric's or the beach bar... you can catch better views then you can fish  ~shade

Howie

As far as Curtis/Furnace goes, I concur with Sam I am... You can catch the dog snot out of White Perch back there, bunch of Yellow Perch too.  Rock will get in there pretty heavy from time to time, there are two great spots before you ever go under the drawbridges on the way in.  I have never caught or even seen a Largemouth back there though.  Pickerel, Sunfish, Bluegill, White and Yellow Perch, Rock, Croaker, and even some small Flounder from time to time.  You may even see some Bull Rays swimming around in the Summer.

As far as Belle Grove goes (for basspro15), it is not what it used to be.  There is a sh*t plant on the main river off of 648.  The thing is constantly spewing in to the river.  This past year, they shaved a bunch of trees down and did some construction on the plant "discharge" area.  The ponds have suffered due to all of the leaks and construction.  Most of the fish have moved upstream.  You can still catch fish in there, but the water is nasty and you may spend an entire day to just get one or two Bass.  The Perch fishing is still somewhat good in the smaller pond behind the Legion.  I used to live in those ponds, I would drop in at Southwest Area Park, fish the main river and the ponds, and I know that place inside and out.  It just isn't worth it anymore, but I am hoping it comes back after they get done working in the plant and things settle back down.

18' Tracker Avalanche (Pewter)
Mercury OptiMax 150
MotorGuide Pro Series
Dutch Master Honey Sports
Starbucks Coffee
"Do these fish really think that purple worms just fall out of the sky?"

basspro15

Thanx for the info guys! doesnt sound like Ill b going to bellegrove anytime soon!

Litzy

Thanks everyone for your input!