Kayak Newbie

Started by Yakass, April 30, 2010, 03:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yakass

I recently recieved a fishing kayak for my birthday. After getting all the additional equipment and roof rack I found  that going out on the resevoirs is next to impossible for several reasons. Loch Raven is sold out of permits, my boat is only 10.5 feet long, and on top of that there is the zebra mussel issue. I think the resevoirs are out all together because I really do want to use my kayak in other bodies of water. Anyway, I spoke w someone today who says he does a lot of kayak fishing in the creeks of  Middle River, Bush River, and mouth of the Gunpowder. I was planning on going out early tomorrow near Riverwatch. Not sure of anyone has any suggestions or advice. Really just want to get the opportunity to use this kayak. Thanks.

bigjim5589

Welcome to UB! Depending on how far you're willing to travel, there's plenty of places to use a kayak for fishing in MD. I fish from a canoe or a jon boat sometimes, and like to fish the small creeks & rivers on the Eastern Shore. There's plenty of places that the bigger boats can't or won't try to get to, so sometimes I have a lot of water to myself!

Here's a link to the MD DNR website, it's the boat ramp page that shows the various public ramps, and most of them would allow launching a kayak. http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/boatramps.asp

You may need a permit in some counties for county operated ramps, (Talbot & Queen Ann) so make sure you get them before you decide to go.

And, be careful out there, as the weather gets warmer there's more boaters & jet ski's on the water, especially the weekends, and some of them have no clue about watching out for other folks!  :(
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

ryan o

I have been fishing out of my kayak for about six years now, and i have found a lot of places to fish in Maryland.  There are a ton of ponds on the Eastern Shore you can fish.  Also, if you get a Delaware license you can fish Delaware ponds.  If you go to most boat ramps you can put your kayak in, and fish where you normally see bass boats.  The ramp at Joppatowne and Mattawomen would be good places to fish.  Just start experimenting and find places that are right for you.  Hope this helps.

NitroBoy8

Like they said, the Eastern Shore is the best place to go. The majority of the small ponds/lakes out there you cannot fish from shore and you can't use a bigger boat so they are perfect for a yak. Wye mills is good, Tuckahoe is so so, and there are other small lakes that are good fishing from a canoe or yak. And like Jim said, you can get back in the little creeks where the big boats cannot and sometimes you can find some awesome spots!

Yakass

Thanks so much for the advice. I launched over at Dundee Marina/Gunpowder State Park. They have a little beach area for launching kayaks. Awesome spot. Got skunked on bass but did catch a decent yellow perch my first time out. Hope to get out again this week.

Creel Limit Zero

Check out Rocky Gorge as well, it is a nice place for some bass.  Other place to check out is Upper Potomac River, just wonderful places to fish that a lot of boats can't get to but kayakers too.