Does any one use any of the Rebel lures any more?

Started by gillrod2728, April 24, 2010, 08:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gillrod2728

I was at walmart yesterday and I was looking at there lures and saw a very nice looking Rebel Minnow for 2.50 I decided to buy it. Just wondering if these are good lures since the price is really cheap. I know they have been in the fishing sport for a long time.
"Kistler Rods Team" "Eye Crossin Custom Lures"  "Fishwhittler Custom Lures" "Knawbone Jigs" "Big River Tackle"

Mike Cork

They are a very under used Underdog if you will. Great price on a good lure. After all the Pop R is made by rebel  :-* and it's one of the most fish catching baits in the world (don't quote me on that but I remember reading it somewhere)

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Donald Garner

I'm sure there are but like everything else there was a new bait that came out
and replaced the Rebel.

I have a few myself and haven't used them in a while.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

gillrod2728

Quote from: Mike on April 24, 2010, 09:07:57 AM
They are a very under used Underdog if you will. Great price on a good lure. After all the Pop R is made by rebel  :-* and it's one of the most fish catching baits in the world (don't quote me on that but I remember reading it somewhere)
Thats true the Pop R is a great lure I only usually use Rapala X raps Slash Baits and Other more expensive brands like Bomber but im gona give this a try and see what it produces. Im sure it will do good.
"Kistler Rods Team" "Eye Crossin Custom Lures"  "Fishwhittler Custom Lures" "Knawbone Jigs" "Big River Tackle"

Camden

the rebel minnow used to be one of the mainstays in that category. a great lure but like donald said someone came out with something more shiny and it took off.

bigjim5589

One of the first bass I ever caught was on a Rebel lure. I still use Rebel lures, but not as much for bass as for Striped Bass with the exception of Pop-R's. Rebel & Bomber have a good following with many of us older saltwater anglers. Heck, I've still got a couple of big Rebel Minnows I bought over 30 years ago, and still use them!  ;)

I've got a few small Rebel Ghost Minnows, which I believe have been discontinued, that are great little lures for ultra light fishing, and bass still like them too!  :)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Bassonly

Pop R is the bomb. I sand down the sides a little to make it flat sided. Just barely. And I file the bottom lip down a shade, as well. Then I airbrush, and catch hawgs  ;D

Another bait that is pretty amazing is the Wee R. It's basically a finesse crankbait, and if you run it on 10 pound line it can really be the ticket for post frontal fish around rip rap and hardwoods.
Boone Powell
Fishing is my job and my passion.

Swede

Rebel Super R crankbaits are still a great crankbait when you can find them.  They have a single bb in them and make a very unique sound.  I like pulling them along just as slow as the bait will allow.  I find mine on EBAY and have a box dedicated to them.

My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, your worries stay small.
Rascal Flatts

DaveP63

Shhhhh...Don't tell everybody! Those minnows will still catch fish!
Join Bass Unlimited !

gillrod2728

Gangly

I've had good luck with the Rebel minnows.  A particular favorite is the very small F4901 Minnow.  I mainly use it for panfish, and it literally catches everything.  I have caught so may fish with that little lure that it will never be anywhere but in the front of my tacklebox. 
Aaron Z

To get a fish, take your rod, to get a memory, take your child

"Whose your favorite Little Rascal......Spanky?"

SlingandWind

Around here the Pop-R is the best topwater for late Summer and early Fall IMO. That time of year I usually throw a Pop and a buzzbait in the backs of the "non-flowing" creek arms early in the morning. It also works well on schoolers when they are chasing small bait fish

Stump bumper

Rebel makes a crawdad crank that is great for smallmouth in the rivers, I would not go to the little rivers in southwest Missiouri without one. I also usd them a lot in the streams leading into lake Onterio.
Beaver Lake  Arkansas

Dan1962

I Love the Rebel Crank-R  Crank Baits I Like them better then  Bandits & Bombers   Have caught a ton of bass on the Black/Chartreuse color shallow Crank-R   BUT Getting Real hard to Find these days

[attachment outdated - deleted by admin]

bassindude

Quote from: Swede on April 25, 2010, 11:56:30 PM
Rebel Super R crankbaits are still a great crankbait when you can find them.  They have a single bb in them and make a very unique sound.  I like pulling them along just as slow as the bait will allow.  I find mine on EBAY and have a box dedicated to them.

I only have 2 left Swede, but it is also one of my go to's at certain times.
Jim ><///'>><///'>

gillrod2728

Quote from: Dan1962 on April 28, 2010, 06:34:04 PM
I Love the Rebel Crank-R  Crank Baits I Like them better then  Bandits & Bombers   Have caught a ton of bass on the Black/Chartreuse color shallow Crank-R   BUT Getting Real hard to Find these days
That is a good looking crank for sure.

Dunham Fisher

I still use the Pop-R, Minnow, and Wee-R, from time to time.  I think they belong in every tacklebox.

phred

The Pop R is my summer evening favorite.

Scott
Want to help returning vets? Check out the site.

www.armybassanglers.com/returningheroeshome/