Potomac River info

Started by tcole007, April 19, 2010, 12:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcole007

Hey guys,  I'm coming up this week / weekend from Jacksonville, FL to fish the Potomac out of Mattawoman.  Any recommendations on where to run?  Thanks in advance!! 
TC

greg hall

stay right there in the creek,plenty of fish.caught a 8 pounder yesterday in the back of mattowomen.

fishen4bass

Work is for people who don't know how to fish!

Bob E NCBF

I also agree on the Mattawoman! You may want to try the rock piles right out in front of Leesylvania boat ramp.
Nations Capitol Bass Federation

FLW TBF Federation

http://www.fishncbf.com/

Litzy

where is that boat ramp located. Also I'm new to the Potomac. Only been out of the Mattawomen twice. Any suggestions about navigating this place. Seems like shallow water sneaks up on you fast. Also noticed to sections of sunken pier timbers extending across the creek. Is there a way to completely avoid these areas? Thanks.

tcole007

Thanks guys!!  Litzy....I would recommend getting a good map or get a navionics chip if you have a good gps/sonar unit??

Sam I am

tcole007 - are you coming up for a tournament? If so which? If not, I would highly recommend using a different ramp... You haven't witnessed a crowded marina until you have been to Smallwood on the weekends in the spring. You can have just as much fun watching live boating bloopers then actually catching fish.

tcole007

It's a little club tournament.  I've been there on the weekends hundreds of times. I just recently moved to FL in October.  Thanks for the suggestion though!!!

NitroBoy8

Leesylvania is Straight accross the river from Mattawoman on the VA side. You shouldnt have to worry about hitting anything even in shallow water. Most of what you have to look out for will be floating in the main river. My advice, find some grass and pick it apart. If your only getting the smaller males, move because your gonna be wasting your time looking for 13 and 14in fish to grow but they never do. Good luck

Litzy

Thanks for the input guys. Hey what about Fort Washington? How is the fishing in that area?

NitroBoy8

It can be very good, there is a big grass bed just accross the creek from the Ft Washington ramp that is very productive, if you don't know where im talking about, just look for boats, bound to be at least 10 boats sitting on it. It's a long run from Smallwood but no matter where you fish it's the weekend and it's spring so there is gonna be boats everywhere. Good luck!

justinl8688

Besides Mattawoman, What other creeks on the potomac normally produce in June. I am sure everywhere with grass will. The bass should be post-spawn by then and near the creek mouths or do they just related to grass and wood