Lowrance Update: Structure Scan Side Imaging

Started by coldfront, June 08, 2009, 10:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coldfront

not to incite a contentious discussion...just to update folks on where the Lowrance side imaging technology 'is' at this time...

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Marine/Broadband-Sounder-and-Ethernetworking/StructureScan/

BassBUFF

BandedBait

I was trying to help a friend update a new HD7 that we could not get to work. When I asked him all he said is "available later 2009" is the answer he got. After four update attempts we did get the software to down load and then load on the HD7.

coldfront

Quote from: BandedBait on June 10, 2009, 05:15:27 PM
I was trying to help a friend update a new HD7 that we could not get to work. When I asked him all he said is "available later 2009" is the answer he got. After four update attempts we did get the software to down load and then load on the HD7.

so, what did you do differently on attempt #4?   ;D

-Bryan-

Mine was a pain to update too, and Lowrance customer service is HORRIBLE, but I love the HDS-7 I got.  The details for the Structure Scan will be released on the 15th of July @ 0900 at the ICAST and lowrance web site...there is a video on youyube (search for the structure scan video) that is pretty cool.  Can't wait to get mine!
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

tillerybass

I have two questions.
How much longer after ICAST will this be available to the public?
and
About how much do you guys think this add-on will cost?

JavelinR20

what version software are you loading, I know their up to 2.1 now, I know all of the Bass Pro Shops are supposed to have it, I know I do down at destin, and we have to make sure it's updated before any unit leaves the store, I've also told numerous people that if they brought their new HD's in, I would do the update.  usually takes about 7 to 10 minutes.

fishin couillon

The information and pics are up on the Lowrance website.  ~beer~ ~beer~ It's looking pretty good. From a lowrance dealer, it will be on sale Nov. 9th. Of course that's as of now, still a little ways off, and things can change but it looks like the wait is worth it.  ~beer~

-Bryan-

Lowrance rep told me today to expect the add-on to be on the shelves August 15th...believe that when I see it...but I will be one of the first in line.

fishin couillon

Aug. 15th.? :shocking: I would hope so. Aug. & Nov. are a few months apart but oh well. I'm on the waiting list with the electronic dealer and when it comes in i'll have my hands on one.

-Bryan-

Expect it to be around 400.00.  As soon as it shows up on lei-extras.com it will be in the stores.  Local guy will have one for me as soon as it comes in...I hope!

fishin couillon

Well i guess we wont know till it comes out for sale. I was told $599. Who knows.

Buzbait88

I was told 599 as well and that comes with transduer, mount and a converter box to split it up to 3 HD units.  seems pricey,  but once humminbird comes out with their downscan then competition will hopefully drive the price down.  Actually, hopefully the new HD units will already come with the side scan so you don't have to purchase the box.
THE VIBRASHOCK IS BACK!!
KaRu Lures
KaRu Facebook

coldfront

I was seeing approx. $600 for the 'box' ... another $200 for the transducer for side/down scan...coupled with $1000 for the HDS7...that's about $1800... :shocking: but not out of line with Humminbird comparable units...

Just another business working to extract maximum profit for value...

Jared

Jared Rascoe-Minda Lures Pro-Staff
Stanley Lures Jr. Field Staff

coldfront

Quote from: Jared on July 22, 2009, 02:46:35 PM
That's arguable...

okay Jared, you got me there...Humminbird looks to have a much higher priced unit (size to size) without ALL the features of the Lowrance that's coming...

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_97809_250003001_250000000_250003000_250-3-1?ordProd=Y&CMID=TOP_selectitems#itemDetail

thanks for helping me correct my assumption...

-Bryan-

If you don't want to network it, you only need the transducer and mount, it plugs directly into the ethernet port on the back of the head unit and it has a 20 foot cord...or at least that's what I read on the Lowrance web site, so that's what I am going with.  They talk a lot about the box, but it's not completely necessary.

fishin couillon

I believe that it's all one package - box, ducer, mount & cable. I can't see them selling it in pieces. I think the box is necessary. Again i don't know, in fact i'll make a call tomorrow and see what the dealer says. I think it's going to be like the broadband sounder when it came out, you had the add on for it now it's built into the HDS units. That's probably how the structure scan will be in the years to come, built in.

-Bryan-

OK, I stand corrected!  I went back and looked and sure as $%!* it's the box and all in one kit...I guess it was the rep I spoke to that told me I would only need the ducer...either way, I am ready once it hits the streets!

coldfront

Quote from: Tracker03 on July 22, 2009, 09:51:36 PM
OK, I stand corrected!  I went back and looked and sure as $%!* it's the box and all in one kit...I guess it was the rep I spoke to that told me I would only need the ducer...either way, I am ready once it hits the streets!

Me too...I'll have the HDS unit by then...already have the GCX-4000 antenna (not needed for all applications)

fishin couillon

Ok, i talked to the dealer and said that the package will include: transducer, "black" box, power cable and 15' ethernet cable for a listing price of $599. Also asked if it was the same "box" as the ethernet hub and he said no. They are two different animals. I think the box is going to work in conjunction with the software that will be loaded on to the unit. He also verified that Lowrance told him it will be out Nov. 9th. Now for that we will just have to wait and see. I'm number 4 on the waiting list with them. 8) Should recieve it in the first shipment goes out. ~beer~

coldfront

Quote from: fishin couillon on July 23, 2009, 12:23:08 PM
I'm number 4 on the waiting list with them. 8) Should recieve it in the first shipment goes out. ~beer~

now you're just braggin'...    lo 

look forward to seeing some of the images you put together when you get it installed...

I'm assuming that the new sonar unit will need to be installed on a transom?  and not be 'shoot thru hull' capable?  (as if I care since I drive aluminum ~b~)

fishin couillon

I'll post some pics when i get it. At this point i assume that i'll have to install it on the transom. I'm not wanting to make holes and such but i think i may come up with some type of bracket and see if my brother in law can make it at his work shop.

BandedBait

I just ordered the Humminbird 997 for three reasons.

Pricing $2,031.73 v.s. HD7 at $1988.72 = $43.01 difference.

Smaller transducer for Humminbird that also has regular 83/200 hkz sonar in it. The HD7 sidescan transducer is as long as my jack plate and harder to mount. If I did not have a jack plate I'm not sure how I'd mount it.

No additional black box to mount in my boat. With four batteries I don't have room to mount the module and it is big, without using a storage box or rod box.

Most important I get it this weekend. I've been waiting for almost a year since I was told I could get one and now with the Icast announcement that November ship date is tentative I can't wait.

I almost bought the 1197 but did not want to put out the extra $500 bucks. The 1197 was $2,590.69 v.s. the HD10 at $3,383.00.

I researched on line for months for pricing and the best number I could get for the structure scan was $644.98 plus the HD units. I calculated tax in all mine at 7.5% which is our tax rate here.

Next weekend I will be using the unit. I'm just tired of waiting and being told four time when I could get the unit.

No patience for another waiting list on this end, at least not for a year.......

fishin couillon

That's great. You have a choice of what you want and you chose HB. Nothing wrong with that. Not sure where your price came from but when it's done , I'll have paid right at $1700 for my whole setup and that's with the insight mapping. Yes i have to wait for the structure scan but I'm in no hurry. I don't know why some are arguing about this. Heck they just formerly announced that they were coming out with it although we figured that they would. Things take time to develop. If they would have put something together real quick and put it out and had problems then people would bitch cause it wasn't working right. I don't think that the ducer is out of wack and the box it outragous that it can't fit in the back somewhere. Come on. Go take a look at the video, the guy is holding it in one hand. Then where did you get the information about the price when they never announced how much it was going to be? Retail is $599, which the place I'll be getting it is less than that plus if you buy it before the end of December '09, you get $100 rebate. Well it's compition and when it's released for sale then everybody has a choice on what they want to buy. ;D