LMS520C "BETA" update

Started by Baron49, May 27, 2009, 11:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron49

Posted a question about a problem with my LMS520C and finally got in touch with a tech at Lowrance.  Was told the "Beta" update available for download had the fix for my problem.  Normally a beta program is one that does not have all the bugs worked out of it, however the tech said this update has been around long enough and they have had nothing but good comments back about how well it has made the LMS520C a better running unit. 

I downloaded and installed this update and have to say I am impressed.  All the problems I was having were taken care of with this update.

Mike Cork

Great News, I wish I still had my 520c, ended up with the hds with the new boat and the jury is still out on that :-\

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

stratos77

baron, what was the problem you were having?

Baron49

It was not reading in shallow water or over thick weeds without going to a full manual mode.  The screen also was solid yellow to about the 3 foot depth, then changed to orange-red-blue and finally black at the 4 to 4 1/2 depth.  This was very annoying when working in the shallow water in Florida.  Called Lowrance and was told to run the "beta" update. 

After installing the update did a "hard" reset of the unit and everything is back to normal other then working in really thick weeds.  Going to manual chart mode and setting the depth still works and gives good resolution as to what is happening under the weed cover.

FYI....for those who might not be aware of it.  You can not only save your way points to a spare SD chip, if you look on the same setting for saving waypoints you can also save the overlays that you have set up in the unit as well to the same SD chip.  Makes doing a hard reset a lot easier and you can restore everything back in a matter of seconds.