Humminbird 565, 718 or Garmin 160c

Started by dicef15, May 20, 2009, 09:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dicef15

Need help in choosing a new depthfinder. Most of my fishing is in 1 to 20 feet of water and i need a unit that will function well in shallow water at higher speeds without costing a fortune. The HB 565 and 718 are priced the same as is the Garmin 160c (about 200.00). I'm in South Louisiana with shallow water and lots of structure. I have a Lowrance that came with my boat, but the depth blinks right as you really need it, and it's not much good while trolling either.
Thanks for any info.

Blue Too

My wife got me the HB565 for Christmas last year (yay me!) and i love it.  My fair review would tell you that in water less than 3-4 feet i just don't even look at it.  The unit clears up again as soon as i hit 5.1'.  I don't know how well it performs at speed.  I have it mounted on a 12' Jon Boat.  I only go as fast as my 40lb trolling motor gets me ;)

While learning how to read the unit i actually used some of the screen options and that's when i got hooked.  With the HB565 i have an option that turns the bottom all black.  Then "stuff" on the bottom is gray.  This helped me learn to spot structure instead of sandy/rocky bottoms.  I'm not pro enough yet to need to know if i'm fishing rocks or mud.  One day....

the mounting bracket is also well thought-out.  The power and transducer wires connect to the bracket so the only piece to disconnect is the unit itself.  On the Tracker i just bought there is a Lowrance installed.  I dislike having to remove the unit and then also the cable.

Hope this helps..
-Blue