New boat owner lowrance help needed.

Started by opti_angler, March 01, 2009, 07:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opti_angler

I have a 522c igps ramp mounted at console and X-135 up front. I want to know if I need the ether net thing and what other things do you suggest? I am not really liking the b/w up front and want something in color next year. I am told that if I can read the b/w color would be a breeze but what about the other things that enhance the unit? Does anyone else still use the b/w units?

BassBUFF

I've got the 520c at the console and the 102c at the bow. I won't go back to B/W!

If you go with a GPS unit up front then you could tie them together via an ethernet connection, if you so desire. This would allow you to use one antenna.

bassinbob 1

Network shares GPS info .Ethernet shares sonar info.

coldfront

Quote from: opti_angler on March 01, 2009, 07:30:14 AM
I have a 522c igps ramp mounted at console and X-135 up front. I want to know if I need the ether net thing and what other things do you suggest? I am not really liking the b/w up front and want something in color next year. I am told that if I can read the b/w color would be a breeze but what about the other things that enhance the unit? Does anyone else still use the b/w units?

I'm assuming both units have their own dedicated transducers...in which case, there's very little 'need' to connect the two to 'cross-talk'.

Yep, I use B/W models.  Both of mine are B/W mostly because I bought the best I could afford about 4 years ago and haven't seen enough value to upgrade to color.  Now that the new HD units are out, I'm seriously looking at them...but planning on waiting 1-2 years for prices to come down a bit...

What I'm not going to wait on however is the new LGC-4000 GPS 'puck' (I'm not a fan of internal antennae) which updates 5 times/sec and is supposed to improve positional accuracyc...then, it's only a matter of time before Lowrance comes out with their side imaging...and it all comes together.

I still use a lot of monofilament too (yes, I know, seriously old=school)

BassBUFF

Quote from: bassinbob 1 on March 12, 2009, 08:04:26 AM
Network shares GPS info .Ethernet shares sonar info.

I thought the ethernet was the Network connection.

fishrman

I thought the ethernet was the Network connection.

No two separate things, saw the rigging guys hooking them up on my boat. One shares gps info, the other shares sonar image.
Sit Down, shut up, and hold on!

Mark from NY

NMEA2000 Networking allows the gps module and any sensors like temp/fuel to be shared. They must be the NMEA2000 sensors and not a temp probe like in a transducer. 
The Ethernet allows sonar sharing. Has nothing to do with the GPS. You can set either unit to see the other transducer. This DOES come in handy when drop shotting or spooning deep water with a partner. You get in water over 25-30 feet in depth and the two units start to interfere. Just switch the console unit to read the trolling motor transducer and problem solved.

bassinbob 1

Network shares gps eternet shares sonar