Alaska Fishing Reports: Interior (Fairbanks, North Pole, Delta Junction)

Started by MotherNature, June 27, 2004, 08:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silversalmon

Fishing Report for July 19, 2007

July 19, 2007

Regulations

Regulation Books for Interior & Northern Alaska (AYK & UCUS) can be found at any license vendor and online · Regulations, including bag and possession limits, are different for each waterway. There have been some changes in the regulations from last year and anglers are responsible for knowing the regulations, so please consult them before you cast your line on the water.

Flowing Waters

Kings are in the Chena & Salcha Rivers. Chum have been in the Chena River for over a week and the Salcha River counters logged their first chum on July 18. You can monitor salmon count numbers by visiting our Fish Counts web page. Simply click on the river and species of interest.

Chena River: You may fish for salmon using bait as long as the hooks have a gap between point and shank of at least 3/4 inches. You may use treble hooks as long as the gap between point and shank is 1/2 inch or greater. Therefore, Yes. You may use Wiggle Warts. Salmon fishing is closed (This means not even catch and release) upstream of the ADF&G marker that is about 300 ft downstream of the dam.

The Chena River is running relatively clear so Arctic Grayling fishing should be good. Try using egg patterns as the grayling should be keying in on salmon eggs at this time of year.*New Regulation* Chena anglers please remember that you may now only use 1 single hook, or 1 single hook artificial lure when fishing for grayling throughout the ENTIRE Chena drainage.

Salcha River: You may use bait in the Salcha River, however, upstream of the Richardson Highway Bridge bait may only be used on single hooks with a gap between point and shank larger than 3/4 inch. Otherwise, upstream of the Richardson Highway Bridge only one-unbaited single hook artificial lure may be used. Salmon fishing is closed (this means not even catch & release) upstream of the ADFG marker which is about 2.5 miles upstream of the Richardson Highway Bridge.

Delta Clearwater River: Fishing for Arctic grayling has been good in the Delta Clearwater. Folks are reporting catching variable sized fish, so if you are looking to harvest a grayling for the grill, try this river. Only unbaited single hook artificial lures may be used. Daily bag & possession limit is one fish which must be 12 inches or less.

Lakes

Arctic grayling fishing in the Tangle River is good. The fish are small, but there are lots of them.

Quartz, Birch, and Chena Lakes are producing some good catches. Try nightcrawlers, salmon eggs, or raw shrimp in the stocked lakes.

Harding Lake anglers remember that Harding is closed to all pike fishing, this includes catch and release. *New Regulations* You may now only use 1 single hook, or 1 single hook artificial lure when fishing in Harding Lake (bait is still legal). Lake Trout daily bag and possession limit is 1 fish, which must be 30 inches or more in length.

Pinch the barbs down on your hooks if you are planning to catch and release.

The Arctic-Yukon-Kuskokwim Region encompasses four military bases. Civilians can sport fish on some of these military lands, but a permit from military authorities is required. Please call the appropriate base for more information: Ft. Wainwright (353-7535 or 353-1168) Eielson AFB (377-5182) Ft. Greely (873-1615 or 353-9685) Clear AFB (585-6474 or 585-6464). Due to security concerns, fishing on ANY base can be closed at a moment's notice. Call the appropriate base prior to every fishing trip.

This report will be updated as conditions warrant. We appreciate information about fishing conditions in the area, so give us a call and tell us about your fishing success (or failures). In addition, if you have any questions or comments feel free to call our office at 459-7228.

Be safe and good fishing.

United States Air Force 1994-present

silversalmon

TRIP DATE:  8/18
REGION:  Upper Susitna & Copper R
WATER:  Donnely Creek, Gulkana River, Klutina River, Valdez
SPECIES:  Grayling, Silvers, (reds)

REPORT: Drove down to Valdez from Fairbanks over the weekend. Friday after work made it to a little campground outside of Delta Junction and squeezed in a few late evenings hours of grayling fishing on Donnely Creek. Caught 7 and a few in the 14 inch range.

Saturday shore fished Valdez. Too many pinks near Allison Point, so fished from the dock in town. Got fishing about 1/2 hour before high tide. Caught a huge chum right away. People were hooking silvers about every 20 minutes and fishing 6-25 feet deep with a bobber. Ended up landing one silver and losing a few. About 45 minutes after high tide not another bite (I fished all the way until 10 pm).

Sunday, fished from the dock at 6:00 am. Not a bite all morning. One other person had a silver on around 8:00 am. Drove for the Gulkana and fished for 3 hours. One hooked up. Nothing landed. A few locals just before me limited out. (Also, stopped on the Klutina for a bit. The run is about through, but did actually see a few ugly reds caught and a few jump in a hole that looked lightly pink).

silversalmon

TRIP DATE:  8/25
REGION:  Interior
WATER:  Chena Slough, Piledriver Slough, Hidden Lake, Chena Lake
SPECIES:  Trout, Grayling

Report: LIP and I hit the waters today.  The grayling did not want to cooperate but the trout did.  Jerry caught a nice colored rainbow and I caught two little ones.  The nicer one was caught on a fly and the smaller ones were caught on a daredevil.

silversalmon

TRIP DATE:  10/12
WATER:   Chena Lake
SPECIES:  Trout/Char

Got out and hit up Chena lake before freeze up to see if anything was moving, nothing. everything has moved to deeper water and the only way now to grab them is by boat, if you can break through some of the ice that has formed and freeze up, C'MON ice fishing  ~c~

Duane Paquette

Thanks for the memories.  I was at Eielson from 85-88 and fished Pile Driver mostly.  Are the remains of the old bridge still there?  Back then there were no trout in the Pile Driver, Badger or any other Interior streams that I know off.  The rainbows were introduced in PD in the summer of 87 to the best of my memory.

Horseshoe on base was good for pike on a fly rod with a streamer but you had to strip like a madman to get them to hit it.  Other favorite haunts was Clear Creek for silvers, Birch Lake, Munson Slough and where PD entered into the Tannana. 

Here's a tip if you haven't tried it yet, Fish a spin n glow like a buzzbait.  The pike will hammer it and it goes throgh the slop very well. At least they did back then. 

I was suprised to see grayling is C&R on Pile Driver.  Hva e they been wiped out?  Back then you could stand still and see hundreds around you in casting range.  It was kind of like bone fishing where you tried to cast to a particular grayling.

Don't know if the ice is on the lakes yet but when it does I wish you luck.  I used a cheap dome tent with the bottom removed when ice fishing.  Put deadman anchors on the 4 corners and a lantern inside and you can stay tosty all day.  Believe it or not I use to use a hand powered auger on Birch to get through 5 feet of ice.  Well, the first time anyway.  After that I got a powered one from MWR.

pac
[/ center]

silversalmon

Hey Duane, great to hear the stories man.  I have been here since 1999 so I have acquired some great stuff for ice fishing, 325 dollar auger for 75 bucks from someone PCS'ing  lo Those pike still nail the spin and glows man  8) Pile Driver is still a good fishery but just not as thick as they used to be from what I understand. The rainbow population has really taken off in Pile Driver though  ~c~ Where PD enters the tanana is now a great burbot fishery and I use it every break up for that tasty fish  ~c~ Did an ice check this weekend, needs about one more week then I will be out on it this weekend hopefully  ~c~ and thanks

Duane Paquette

My Father came for a visit one time.  He grew up flyfishing for trout in Vermot but had not used a flyrod in years.  I took him to PD and I guess it was like riding a bike for him. It did't take long for him to get back into the groove.  He was fishing a little ways down stream and I cast my Salcha Pink at the eddy caused by his legs and caught 3 grayling using my dad as structure. 

Later that week I took him to the Russion to catch red salmon.  On day one we caught a few chums on the fly rod but that was it.  As I was playing a fish I noticed that if I pulled back really hard the salmon would splsh like mad and a plan  :-*developed in my mind.  Once again dad was downstream from me when I decided to put the plan into action. 

When I hooked another salmon I didn't let him know and let the fish peel off line.  I was into the backing when I figured the fish was near dad.  I pulled hard on the fly rod and the fish did just what I hopped for.  He came up splashing right at dad's feet.  I should have known better but I couldn't help myself. Dad must have thought the Alaska version of "Nessie" was after him.   :shocking:

If you haven't done this before and if it is still possible you might think about a canoe trip starting at the bombing range and ending at chena river annex.  It takes 2 -3 days but was a great trip.  8 of us guys from supply did this twice a year.  We never had any problems except for the occasional suprised moose.  Of course we were all around 19-20 and bullet proof back then so we didn't worry much as we would float by. 

[/ center]

silversalmon

We like to float PD, with the trout and grayling in there it is non stop action.  That is a grea story with your dad and I am glad that you have some great memories of fishing up here. I am gong to Korea for a year, but I am getting to come back and looks like I will be retiriing up here  ~c~

silversalmon

Fishing Report for November 13, 2007

Quartz Lake ice thickness as of November 6th is 7 inches, 100 feet off shore. No measurements have been taken yet this season for Harding, Birch, or Chena Lakes.

Use caution on the larger lakes, however, as they take a little longer to freeze over and will be thinner over deeper water, areas where there is an inlet or outlet to the lake, and in areas of upwelling.

Ice thickness reports for individual lakes will be posted on this site whenever received.

Minimum ice thickness for one person on foot is 3-4 inches, minimum thickness for an automobile is eight inches. Keep in mind, however, ice thickness on any given lake is variable. It is recommended that 4 inches be added to the minimum thickness for safety's sake and to account for the variability. Test every step with an ice spud or heavy pole.

If you plan to set up an ice house and leave it overnight, you must register your house with fish and game. Just stop by the offices at 1300 College RD and Bring your fishing license. There is no fee, just a simple form to fill out. You will be issued a number to paint on your house and a winter's worth of fishing will be yours for the taking.

Be safe, and good fishing.

silversalmon

TRIP DATE:  11/25
WATER:   Chena Lake
SPECIES:  Trout/Char

Drilled some holes....did not find anything of size but did manage quite a few dinks.  All the small trout are still hugging the edge, typical for now, the bigger ones will start rolling in once the ice gets a little thicker  8)

silversalmon

TRIP DATE:  4/12
REGION:  Delta Junction
WATER:  Quartz Lake
SPECIES:  Rainbow Trout

REPORT: The fishing at Quartz Lake has been very productive.  We caught 7 rainbows and 3 char in the 12 hours we were there.  The biggest rainbow was at 26" and right around 4 pounds. 

thanks to Matt for that report

silversalmon

My buddy Dennis, aka Salmon Slayer, video ice fishing, and of course doing donuts on the ice,  notice how tall the auger is  :surrender:  lo  average thickness of the ice  :surrender:

Fish_myster

Funny stuff there Jason. I know him from another site too. What a kiss costume  :shocking:  ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao
  Proud Father of an American Soldier 
Proud Grandfather of 6!

silversalmon

Fish_myster

Proud Father of an American Soldier 
Proud Grandfather of 6!

silversalmon

Fishing Report for May 09, 2008

LAKES

Quartz Lake has pulled about 20 feet off shore and rainbow trout are beginning to rise. Depending on temperature and wind conditions the ice could melt quickly. Winds may, at any point, push the ice back toward shore and close the open lead; but for now the fishing at Quartz Lake over the next week should be excellent.

No reports yet on the ice conditions on Chena, Birch, or Harding lakes, though, at the very least, ice should be getting rotten and leads should be open within the next week. Harding Lake, the deepest of the three and last to melt, is usually completely ice free by Memorial Day weekend. Division of Sport Fish will be conducting some research at Birch Lake when the ice goes out. Please watch out for nets in the water. They will have buoys attached, please drive boats around, not between buoys.

Fish stockings will start the week of May 12.

RIVERS

Flowing waters of the Tanana Drainage are breaking up. The Goodpaster River is boatable, though use caution as the occasional chunk ice may still be present. No specific information available for other Tanana Drainage rivers.

ARCTIC GRAYLING

Arctic grayling are moving through Badger Slough. Try fishing dry or wet flies. Remember Badger Slough is a tributary of the Chena River and therefore is catch and release only for Arctic grayling. Please use proper catch and release technique to minimize damage to fish.

NORTHERN PIKE

Northern pike season opens in lakes of the Tanana Drainage on June 1. Harding Lake is closed to pike fishing. The bag and possession limit for northern pike in the Minto Flaats area is reduced to two fish per day, only one of which may be 30 inches or longer. The Minto Flats Area includes the Minto Lakes and the Chatanika and Tolovana rivers.

EVENTS

Kids' Fish and Game Fun Day will be held on Saturday, May 17 from 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Please leave rods at home, we have plenty of rods for the little ones to fish in the Kids' Day Pond. There will be many other organizations and agencies present with hands-on outdoor activities for kids and their families. For more information, call 459-7228.

silversalmon

Fishing Report for May 09, 2008

PERSONAL USE

The Chitina Subdistrict pre-season schedule is Wednesday, June 4th at 08:00 A.M. and close on Sunday, June 8th at 11:59 PM for a 112-hour opening. The preliminary season schedule is based on the projected daily sonar counts at the Miles Lake sonar and is subject to change based on actual salmon escapement. The total seasonal limit is 15 salmon for a household of one, and 30 salmon for a household of two or more of which only one may be a king salmon. Visit the Copper River Personal Use and Subsistence Fisheries and the Miles Lake Sonar web sites for more information.

KING SALMON FISHING

King salmon fishing usually starts around Memorial Day weekend for the Gulkana River. King salmon and sockeye salmon escapement can be monitored on the Gulkana River by going to the web site below. The Gulkana tower salmon counting tower is usually up and running around the last week of May or first week of June.

SOCKEYE SALMON FISHING

Gulkana and Klutina rivers are flowing but shelf ice is still present. Sockeye should be entering the Gulkana River at any time. Please remember to respect private property owners' land as legal access is very limited along the Klutina, Tonsina, and Gulkana Rivers.

LAKE TROUT

The larger lakes which include Lake Louise, Susitna, Tyone, Paxson, Summit, and Crosswind lakes are still covered with ice and cooler weather continues to grip the area. Caution should be taken when venturing onto the ice.

STOCKED LAKES

No stocking has taken place at this time and reduced numbers of fish will be stocked in the future until the new hatchery is built in Fairbanks. Previous lakes stocked in 2007 with fingerling rainbow trout are Ryan, Buffalo and Tex Smith Lakes on the Glenn Highway and Pippin on the Richardson Highway. Old Road and Round lakes off the Lake Louise Road and Two Mile and Three Mile lakes along the Edgerton Highway. These lakes should contain limited number of catchable fish through 2008. For the best rainbow trout fishing head out the McCarthy Road to Strelna, Silver, and Sculpin lakes which offer the best opportunity to catch more and a possibility to catch larger fish. Silver Lake was stocked with 5000 catchable rainbow trout on July 2, 2007. The rainbows were taken from Summit Lake in the Wrangell Mountains and transported to Silver Lake by airplane. Silver Lake has walk in access only, canoes and small boats can be carried in from the McCarthy Road. Peanut and Tolsona Mountain Lakes are also excellent lakes for rainbow trout but an atv is helpful to access them. These two lakes are not readily available to the road system and have been stocked in past years and receive little pressure. Information on stocked and wild lakes including contour maps can be found at: The Lake maps pages.

ARCTIC GRAYLING

The stream levels are high around Glennallen and Sourdough and grayling are moving into the smaller tributaries to spawn. Small flies either wet or dry are worth a try. Many of the small lakes on the Lake Louise and Nabesna roads contain grayling populations. Long Lake and Jack Lake are good bets for grayling. Moose Creek in Glennallen is open to use of bait and this makes for a golden opportunity for teaching younger and inexperienced anglers how to fish.

silversalmon

Fishing Report for May 22, 2008

Tanana Drainage Regulations

Be sure to check the regulations for the area in which you plan to fish.

LAKES

Quartz Lake is ice free as of May 21.

Little Harding Lake is now open by regulation for rainbow trout fishing, though we have no ice condition reports for the lake.

Harding Lake is about 90% ice covered with about a 20 foot or so open lead around the perimeter. Historically, Harding Lake is ice free by Memorial Day, but it looks like things may be just a little behind this year.

Birch Lake was 50% ice covered as of May 21. Fishing should be good around the shore/ice edges. Division of Sport Fish will be conducting some research at Birch Lake when the ice goes out. Please watch out for nets in the water. They will have buoys attached, please drive boats around, not between buoys.

Chena Lake still has some ice cover, but leads are open and ice is pulled back from shore, so fishing should be good there also this week.

Fish stockings are now taking place. The following lakes have been stocked with catchable rainbow trout: Chena Hot Springs #30, #45.5, #47.9, Ballaine Lake, Bathing Beauty Pond, Grayling Lake, Hidden Lake (EAFB), Moose Lake, Polaris Lake, Steese Hwy 29.5, 36.6, 34.6, North Chena Pond, Otto Lake, Parks Hwy 261, Wainwritht #6, Monterey Lake Chena Lake, Johnson Pit #1, Little Harding Lake, Nenana City Pond. Chena Hot Springs #30 has also been stocked with rainbow trout broodstock. Mullins Pit has been stocked with catchable Arctic char. Fish from the Kids' Fish and Game Fun Day Pond event this past weekend have been relocated to Ballaine Lake and Twin Bears on Chena Hot Springs Road.

RIVERS

All flowing waters of the Tanana Drainage ice free. Lots of folks will be out on the water this long weekend, so please review your boating safety rules and stay safe.

ARCTIC GRAYLING

Arctic grayling fishing should be good this weekend on the Salcha River. Remember, this fishery is catch and release only until June 1.

Arctic grayling are moving through Badger Slough and the lower Chena River. These fish will be spawning soon and will then move throughout the Chena River to spend the summer. Try fishing dry or wet flies. Remember Badger Slough is a tributary of the Chena River and therefore is catch and release only for Arctic grayling. Please use proper catch and release technique to give these spawners the best possible chance for survival.

NORTHERN PIKE

Northern pike season opens in lakes of the Tanana Drainage on June 1. Harding Lake is closed to pike fishing. The bag and possession limit for northern pike in the Minto Flaats area is reduced to two fish per day, only one of which may be 30 inches or longer. The Minto Flats Area includes the Minto Lakes and the Chatanika and Tolovana rivers.

FISH BITES (Fishing Tips and Fish Facts)

Did you know that Lake trout are not really trout at all? They are char. (Both trout and char are members of the salmonid family, just like the five species of Pacific salmon). You can tell a trout from a char by this simple rule: "Light spots upon a darker fish, char is on your dinner dish; Dark spots decorate your catch? A trout for supper is hard to match." So, find some photos of Brook Trout, Brown Trout, Dolly Varden, Rainbow Trout, and Bull Trout and see if you can tell whether each is really a trout or a char.

EVENTS

Fish and Game Kids Fun Day was a terrific success with over 2000 people in attendance; with more than 1000 kids fishing in the pond and several hundred hungry rainbows were caught.

silversalmon

Fishing Report for May 22, 2008

PERSONAL USE

The Chitina Subdistrict pre-season schedule is Wednesday, June 4th at 08:00 A.M. and close on Sunday, June 8th at 11:59 PM for a 112-hour opening. The preliminary season schedule is based on the projected daily sonar counts at the Miles Lake sonar and is subject to change based on actual salmon escapement. The total seasonal limit is 15 salmon for a household of one, and 30 salmon for a household of two or more of which only one may be a king salmon. Visit the Copper River Personal Use and Subsistence Fisheries and the Miles Lake Sonar web sites for more information.

KING SALMON FISHING

King salmon fishing usually starts around Memorial Day weekend for the Gulkana River. King salmon and sockeye salmon escapement can be monitored on the Gulkana River by going to the web site below. The Gulkana tower salmon counting tower is usually up and running around the last week of May or first week of June.

SOCKEYE SALMON FISHING

Gulkana and Klutina rivers are flowing but shelf ice is still present. Sockeye should be entering the Gulkana River at any time. Please remember to respect private property owners' land as legal access is very limited along the Klutina, Tonsina, and Gulkana Rivers.

LAKE TROUT

The larger lakes which include Lake Louise, Susitna, Tyone, Paxson, Summit, and Crosswind lakes are still covered with ice but are currently breaking up.

STOCKED LAKES

No stocking has taken place at this time and reduced numbers of fish will be stocked in the future until the new hatchery is built in Fairbanks. Previous lakes stocked in 2007 with fingerling rainbow trout are Ryan, Buffalo and Tex Smith Lakes on the Glenn Highway and Pippin on the Richardson Highway. Old Road and Round lakes off the Lake Louise Road and Two Mile and Three Mile lakes along the Edgerton Highway. These lakes should contain limited number of catchable fish through 2008. For the best rainbow trout fishing head out the McCarthy Road to Strelna, Silver, and Sculpin lakes which offer the best opportunity to catch more and a possibility to catch larger fish. Silver Lake was stocked with 5000 catchable rainbow trout on July 2, 2007. The rainbows were taken from Summit Lake in the Wrangell Mountains and transported to Silver Lake by airplane. Silver Lake has walk in access only, canoes and small boats can be carried in from the McCarthy Road. Peanut and Tolsona Mountain Lakes are also excellent lakes for rainbow trout but an atv is helpful to access them. These two lakes are not readily available to the road system and have been stocked in past years and receive little pressure. Information on stocked and wild lakes including contour maps can be found at: The Gulkana River salmon counting towerwill be operational in the next few weeks

ARCTIC GRAYLING

The stream levels are high around Glennallen and Sourdough and grayling are moving into the smaller tributaries to spawn. Small flies either wet or dry are worth a try. Many of the small lakes on the Lake Louise and Nabesna roads contain grayling populations. Long Lake and Jack Lake are good bets for grayling. Moose Creek in Glennallen is open to use of bait and this makes for a golden opportunity for teaching younger and inexperienced anglers how to fish.

silversalmon

Tanana Area Sport Fishing Report

Fishing Report for July 03, 2008

Rivers/Streams

Salmon:

The first few salmon have been spotted entering the Chena River. These fish are the "scouts" or leaders of the run. The first pulse of salmon, though not large numbers, was expected to enter the Chena River yesterday or today, making the run about a week later than average. It will probably be another 5-6 days before greater numbers of salmon show up in the Chena. When the river clears a bit, fishing for kings could be good. You can monitor salmon run numbers on many rivers throughout the state by visiting our Fish Counts page.

The daily bag/possession limit for king salmon in the Chena & Salcha Rivers is one fish over 20 inches and ten fish 20 inches or less. The Chena River is closed to salmon fishing upstream from the ADF&G markers located 300 feet downstream of the Chena River dam. The Salcha River is closed to salmon fishing upstream of the ADF&G markers located about 2.5 miles upstream of the Richardson Highway Bridge. Fishing from the Richardson Highway Bridge over the Salcha River is prohibited.

Anglers are reminded that both king and chum salmon may be carrying radio tags. These fish will be marked with yellow, pink, or green "spaghetti" tags (so named because they are the size and shape of a strand of spaghetti) near the base of the dorsal fin. Anglers catching a fish with a tag or internal radio transmitter should call Fish and Game, Commercial Fish Division at 459 - 7274 Try using brightly colored spoons/spinners, multicolored egg patterns, or Okie Drifters. Bait may be used in both the Chena & Salcha Rivers, but only on single hooks with a gap size greater than ¾ inch.

Resident Species:

Fish for Northern Pike at the mouths of sloughs and in deep, slow-moving holes. Try using daredevils, cyclops, red eyes, or any other flashy spoon. Usually by this time of year George Creek (the outlet of Lake George) is too low for travel into the lake, but because of all the past rain in the Delta area, George Creek is high enough to allow travel to the lake. George Creek can be expected to drop to normal levels if dry weather prevails in the Delta Area. The pike fishing is good at George Lake.

Try fishing Arctic grayling in the upper Chena River. Remember, however, that the Chena and it's tributaries are catch & release only for Arctic grayling. Arctic Grayling tend to hang out in holes just below fast moving water or riffles. When all else fails with Arctic Grayling, try using white twister tails.

Lakes

Recent rain has made fishing in area lakes successful. Lakes in the upper Tanana Drainage have risen about a foot, bringing many back to historical levels. Our stocking crew has been furiously working to get the more than 100 stocked lakes in the Tanana Valley stocked with fish.

You can pick up a booklet on the over 100 stocked lakes of the Tanana Valley At the Fairbanks, Delta or Tok ADF&G office. Other stocked lakes brochures include: Fishing the Stocked Lakes of Fort Greely, Fishing Quartz Lake,and Fishing the Rivers and Lakes of the Upper Copper/Upper Susitina. You can also access these and many other publications on the web.

This report will be updated as conditions warrant.

silversalmon

Tanana Area Sport Fishing Report

Fishing Report for July 18, 2008

Regulations

Regulation Books for Interior & Northern Alaska (AYK & UCUS) can be found at any license vendor and online · Regulations, including bag and possession limits, are different for each waterway, so please consult them before you cast your line on the water.

Flowing Waters

Kings are in the Chena & Salcha Rivers. Chums are also being counted in both rivers. You can monitor salmon count numbers by visiting our Fish Counts web page. Simply click on the river and species of interest.

Chena River: You may fish for salmon using bait as long as the hooks have a gap between point and shank of at least 3/4 inches. You may use treble hooks as long as the gap between point and shank is 1/2 inch or greater. Therefore, Yes. You may use Wiggle Warts. Salmon fishing is closed (This means not even catch and release) upstream of the ADF&G marker that is about 300 ft downstream of the dam.

The Chena River is still running very clear, so Arctic Grayling fishing should be excellent, once again, this weekend. Arctic grayling hit best in the early morning and late evenings. When the grayling quit on the flies and don't seem to be biting, drag out your spinning gear and try using white lead-headed jigs...it's magic.Chena anglers please remember that you may now only use 1 single hook, or 1 single hook artificial lure throughout the ENTIRE Chena drainage when fishing for grayling. Since the the Chena River is catch and release only for Arctic grayling, you can help reduce injury to the fish by crimping the barbs on your hooks.

Salcha River: You may fish for salmon using bait as long as the hooks have a gap between point and shank of at least 3/4 inches. However, only one unbaited artificial lure may be used upstream of the Richardson Highway Bridge to the ADF&G marker located about 2.5 miles upstream of the bridge. Absolutely no salmon fishing is permitted upstream of the marker.

Delta Clearwater River: Fishing for Arctic grayling has been good in the Delta Clearwater. Folks are reporting catching variable sized fish, so if you are looking to harvest a grayling for the grill, try this river. Only unbaited single hook artificial lures may be used. Daily bag & possession limit is one fish which must be 12 inches or less.

Lakes

Quartz, Birch, and Chena Lakes are producing some good catches. Try nightcrawlers, salmon eggs, or raw shrimp in the stocked lakes.

Harding Lake anglers remember that Harding is closed to all pike fishing, this includes catch and release. You may now only use 1 single hook, or 1 single hook artificial lure when fishing in Harding Lake (bait is still legal). Lake Trout daily bag and possession limit is 1 fish, which must be 30 inches or more in length.

The Arctic-Yukon-Kuskokwim Region encompasses four military bases. Civilians can sport fish on some of these military lands, but a permit from military authorities is required. Please call the appropriate base for more information: Ft. Wainwright (353-7535 or 353-1168) Eielson AFB (377-5182) Ft. Greely (873-1615 or 353-9685) Clear AFB (585-6474 or 585-6464). Due to security concerns, fishing on ANY base can be closed at a moment's notice. Call the appropriate base prior to every fishing trip.

This report will be updated as conditions warrant. We appreciate information about fishing conditions in the area, so give us a call and tell us about your fishing success (or failures). In addition, if you have any questions or comments feel free to call our office at 459-7228.

Be safe and good fishing.

silversalmon

Tanana Area

Sport Fishing Report
Fishing Report for August 01, 2008

It should be noted that fishing is expected to be extremely poor due to the recent flooding in all areas of the Tanana River drainages. Rivers/Streams

Salmon

Fishing for kings is very slow in the Chena River, and in the Salcha River. The fish counting panels were pulled from the Chena River during the evening of 29 July. The water conditions at the Salcha River counting station have caused the counts to be suspended. You can monitor salmon run numbers on many rivers throughout the state by visiting our Fish Counts page.

The daily bag/possession limit for king salmon in the Chena River is one fish over 20 inches and ten fish 20 inches or less. The Chena River is closed to salmon fishing upstream from the ADF&G markers located 300 feet downstream of the Chena River dam. The Salcha River is closed to salmon fishing upstream of the ADF&G markers located about 2.5 miles upstream of the Richardson Highway Bridge. Fishing from the Richardson Highway Bridge over the Salcha River is prohibited.

Anglers are reminded that both king and chum salmon may be carrying radio tags. These fish will be marked with yellow, pink, or green "spaghetti" tags (so named because they are the size and shape of a strand of spaghetti) near the base of the dorsal fin. Anglers catching a fish with a tag or internal radio transmitter should call Fish and Game, Commercial Fish Division at 459-7274.

Try using brightly colored spoons/spinners, multicolored egg patterns, or Okie Drifters. Bait may be used in both the Chena & Salcha Rivers, but only on single hooks with a gap size greater than 3/4 inch.

Resident Species

Fish for Northern Pike at the mouths of sloughs and in deep, slow-moving holes. Try using daredevils, cyclops, red eyes, or any other flashy spoon. Usually by this time of year George Creek (the outlet of Lake George) is too low for travel into the lake, but because of all the past rain in the Delta area, George Lake should be high enough to allow travel to the lake. George Creek can be expected to drop to normal levels if dry weather prevails in the Delta Area. The pike fishing is usually good at George Lake.

Try fishing Arctic grayling in the upper Chena River, Chatanika River, or the Delta Clearwater River. Remember, however, that the Chena & Delta Clearwater Rivers and all their tributaries are catch & release only for Arctic grayling. Arctic grayling tend to hang out in holes just below fast moving water or riffles. When fly fishing for Arctic grayling, try small dry flies or nymphs. When spin fishing and all else fails with Arctic grayling, try using white twister tails.

Lakes

Stocked lakes are providing some good fishing. The high water produced by the continuous rain showers in the interior is not always conducive to good fishing. If the weather breaks this weekend, fishing should be more productive. Early morning and mid to late evening fishing outings will probably yield the best results.

You can pick up a booklet on the over 100 stocked lakes of the Tanana Valley at the Fairbanks, Delta or Tok ADF&G office. Other stocked lakes brochures include: Fishing the Stocked Lakes of Fort Greely, Fishing Quartz Lake ,and Fishing the Rivers and Lakes of the Upper Copper/Upper Susitina. You can also access these and many other publications on the web.