how to work a zoom super fluke

Started by Bassfan17, February 10, 2009, 01:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassfan17

i have bought some of these for fishing but never caught any thing on them how do you guys work them i tried them on dropshot but nothing i heard of rigging weightless but never tried it does this work i have baby bass and emerald shiner i think and this light purple clear silver glitter are these good choices in bait colors?

thanks for the advice

Unholy_Fury

i like to rig them weightless and quickly retrieve them across the surface. Also a nice twitch and pause works good.
I sometimes take the skirt of a buzzbait and put the fluke on.

When the lights are on bright, its your time to shine, and show the world that you are here to play

#37 Running Back

Dug

Baby bass s is an awesome color for flukes, Put them on a 1/8 ounce jighead and just pitch and retrieve....

Dug
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Stump bumper

I like them on a 1/8 oz wieghted hook, sink, wiggle, sink and if they arn't hit yet work slowly across the bottom. Until the water gets up in the 50s then I will use them like a jerk bait.

Great cold water bait when you can't get a jig bite.
Beaver Lake  Arkansas

Jared

The Zoom Super fluke is a great bait that comes in a variety of different colors. They can be fished many ways. Rigged weightless and fished with a twitch-twitch-pause method has been the most effective for me. I also have caught fish by using a small 1/32 or 1/64 oz bullet weight. Here you can work it on the bottom or in the summer use it as a fast jerkbait retrieve. With the little weight added it makes it fall faster and the movement more erratic.

I sometimes fish them pre-spawn or even during the spawn to catch those buck bass cruising the bank. Just find a long shallow bank or flat and fish it across it. It's also fun when you are fishing clear water and you can see the fish eat it.

Some of the colors I use are the Watermelon/black fleck and Arkansas Shiner. Most of the time I rig them weightless because the action is alot better. Just find the method of retrieve that is the most productive for your area waters and stick with it.

Jared
Jared Rascoe-Minda Lures Pro-Staff
Stanley Lures Jr. Field Staff

Baron49

Zoom Super Flukes catch a lot of good fish and are tough to fish wrong.  The easiest way is to take a 4/0 Gamakatsu EWG hook and rig the fluke texas style.  Be sure the bait is straight on the hook.  Cast it out over or next to cover and let it sink a little bit and then get a side to side swimming motion going.  Don't over work it, just little twitches of the rod tip, allow a little slack line and twitch again.  It will look a little like "walking the dog."  Bass usually hammer it when fished like this.  If you need a little more depth use an EWG hook that is weighted and fish the same way only deeper. 

Another way to fish these baits is the "donkey rig."  This rig is simple to set up.  Tie on a 3 way swivel to your main line and then tie on one line about 12 to 18 inches long make the other one slightly shorter say about 8 to 10 inches.  Tie hooks on each line and then thread the Super flukes on the hooks.  Fish this a bit faster, but try to get the same side to side motion.  When done properly it looks like two minnows chasing each other.

There are many other ways to fish a Super Fluke and you need to experiment with what works for you.  Some of the most popular colors are White, Watermelon seed, Green Pumpkin, Baby Bass, Albino, but there are many more.

coldfront

all of these are correct.  it can be fished from top to bottom.

twitched fast it can 'skip' across the surface of the water like a fleeing baitfish...

allowed to sink, and with moderate twitches can/will dart from side to side
subtle twitches just make it move along like a baitfish...

letting is sink on slack line after the twitch makes it look like a dying shad/baitfish

in high winds, a small bullet sinker can keep you in contact with the bait ... fish simply hit this thing under all conditions...

And last, but not least, dead stick...can be tremendous...the thing about the fluke is that it can almost 'do it all' just let the fish tell you how they want it...

nnola1

i love flukes. i usually fish them weightless. i just throw them out and let them sink for maybe ten seconds give them a couple twitches then let them sit again and just do that the whole retrieve. they have amazing action like that. if fish are a little bit deeper i will fish them with a weighted hook and work them the same way. always try to go with the smallest weight possible so they have more action. also with these i usually got big strikes which is always good  ~c~ hope this helps

slick

My favorite lure, hands down.

I fish the fluke weightless, just a 5/0 hook tex-posed. They are good for open water if you have good water clarity, but they are excellent around wood, grass, bridges, and docks.

The best feature of this lure in my opinion, is that an infant could skip it under a dock with ease. (Maybe a little stretch..) Just like mentioned above, make sure it is rigged straight on the hook. Then use a twitch and pause retrieve. I would recommend NOT using braid, although im sure some do.

Favorite colors: White Pearl, White Ice, Arkansas Shad...Bubble Gum is popular too

If you use the spike dyes, try dipping the front in red and the tail in chartreuse...this makes a "custom" clown colored bait that sometimes they can't help but crush!

Joshawa

I have never used the Flukes but am planning on stocking up this weekend.
Do they have the same feel as a Slugo? I used Slugos quite extensively a number of years ago and loved 'em.
-Josh

**2009 UB Fantasy Baseball Champ**

slick

They are very similar to the Slugo but I feel they do a better job of imitating a baitfish in most applications..and I like the split tail.

It's the little things that make the difference..

coldfront

Slick, I'll agree...having fished the sluggos a bit as well..I prefer the flukes...but have it on very good authority from some folks up north that there are definitely times when the sluggo gets more bites...

Baron49

Have used the Sluggos for years, they do work well too.  For some reason I stopped using the Sluggos and started fishing the Super Flukes more and more.  For me the Super Fluke is a much more versital bait.  With all the different ways to rig it, and how well these catch fish hard to put them down.

Jeremiah

one of my favorites I actually won a tounament on a fluke bite. i fish them weightless, and LET THEM FALL!! dont forget to try the fluke JR.

-Shawn-

I fish the weightless most of the time But ocasionally I fish them c- rigged also.

coldfront

Quote from: baron49 on February 12, 2009, 05:52:16 AM
Have used the Sluggos for years, they do work well too.  For some reason I stopped using the Sluggos and started fishing the Super Flukes more and more.  For me the Super Fluke is a much more versital bait.  With all the different ways to rig it, and how well these catch fish hard to put them down.

Baron,
Even thought they often work better than horny toads, they're not as hard to put down as the HT... ~b~ ;D

Baron49

While the horny toad is a lot more fun to catch fish on, I feel the the fluke is a better producer do to it's vesitility.  Although I must admit I have never tried to C-rig a Horny toad.  ;)

Bassfan17

do you get the same action out of the fluke jf

coldfront

Quote from: baron49 on February 12, 2009, 05:10:26 PM
While the horny toad is a lot more fun to catch fish on, I feel the the fluke is a better producer do to it's vesitility.  Although I must admit I have never tried to C-rig a Horny toad.  ;)

baron,
I never had a problem 'throwing certain baits' until I started on the Horny toad.  Guys are always talking about how they'd rather catch 1 or 2 fish on a topwater than 5-6 on a worm...not me...I wanted more, bigger, but mostly more fish.

I agree, I catch more on the fluke...but I have a fever...and the only cure is more HT!

_____

back to the question, however, I tried the Fluke jr a few times and thought it doesn't 'glide' as much as the super fluke...it's a more compact twitch bait in my mind...

if I'm going to toss a smaller fluke...I typically toss the original fluke...

Baron49

Quote from: coldfront on February 12, 2009, 09:04:13 PM
baron,
I never had a problem 'throwing certain baits' until I started on the Horny toad.  Guys are always talking about how they'd rather catch 1 or 2 fish on a topwater than 5-6 on a worm...not me...I wanted more, bigger, but mostly more fish.

I agree, I catch more on the fluke...but I have a fever...and the only cure is more HT!

_____

back to the question, however, I tried the Fluke jr a few times and thought it doesn't 'glide' as much as the super fluke...it's a more compact twitch bait in my mind...

if I'm going to toss a smaller fluke...I typically toss the original fluke...

I agree, the fluke jr just does not have the action the super fluke does.  I have tried the jr on a drop shot rig with limited success.

Coldfront....something you might want to try.  Throw that Horny Toad and when a big fish swirls on it but will not commit to taking the bait, throw the Super Fluke back to that fish.  Might suprise you how many more fish you will hook up.  This little trick works with unweighted trick worms and soft stickbaits too.

JukinFluke

Just commenting so I can come back and read it later.
~read

centerfieldr162

Good idea ^^ I'm doing the same now.

Dark3

The Fluke may have worked late summer for me in particular. One weekend i pushed my boat into the slop and easily set the hook on the HT over and over. I actually got worn out from draggin so many beasts out of it.

The very next weekend I pull my boat into the same area and sure enough whammo! There they were on the HT, but this time I couldn't get a single hookset, one after another fish off. I left frustrated and confused

Pat Curtis

I used to love throwing them (I actually prefer the BPS Super Shady Shad version), but went on to other lures.  In a pinch I still toss them..and they are very easy to skip under docks/boats.  Weightless, I toss them on a Dobyns Champion 683sf with braid.  Let it hit the water and let it die...then twitch erratically a few times then kill it.

Steve Reed MFT

People have covered most of the techniques... thought I'd chime in on one use I witnessed first hand. An angler from Utah I was fishing with actually deadsticked the bait. When I say deadstick, I mean he literally did not move it. He would cast it out and just let the wind and current do what it would. Sometimes he'd see breaking fish and toss it to them but he'd never move the bait himself.

Craziest part was... it worked.  ~rant
Monster Fishing Tackle - http://www.monsterfishingtackle.com
-Helping make the memories that last a lifetime, by educating our customers on the proper use of the products we offer-