sonar question

Started by lugnut, January 03, 2009, 05:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lugnut

i own a lowrance LMS 525

i've used it on a pond and on a river. i get a ton of clutter with this thing. i've tried adjusting the transducer, i've messed with every setting possible and nothing makes a differance.

when i adjust the sensativity i loose the bottom.

is this due to the amount of particles floating in the water or does this mean the unit is going bad??

if your unsure of what i'm talking about, i can use the sonar viewer to get a screen shot and post it here so you guys can see what i'm talking about
Lugnut is now accepting donations of gasoline (ethanol free desired)

lugnut

here are some screen shots at different sensativity settings.

first is at 75%

this one is at 85%

92%

BassBUFF

Were you sitting still when you captured these? The 85% one looked pretty good. Have you played with the colorline yet?

lugnut

yea, the color line looked good to me on the river.

i was trolling at idle with my outboard when i took these. while drifting on the current they looked the same way

lugnut

am i reading to much into sonar and this is just typical of a normal return that i should see?

i see the ads and commercials and the sonar pictures are amazing, then you put one on your boat and it doesn't look quit right.

bassinbob 1

LMS525is a dual frequency unit in shallow water thats less than 60ft. you should be on 200Khz to get a better picture

lugnut

i've only used the 200khz freq. i don't go anywhere deep enough to use the other one.

traveler

Do you have the updates installed in it, the Beta one is the latest 10/27/08?
2004 201ProXL DC,  2008 250HO E-Tec
2004 3500 Dodge Diesel,1999 Montana f/w.
Retired and fun to go

BandedBait

Quote from: bassinbob 1 on June 11, 2009, 12:06:19 PM
LMS525is a dual frequency unit in shallow water thats less than 60ft. you should be on 200Khz to get a better picture

On a dual frequency unit that has the capability to overlay the two you can use dual frequency very effectively. Having to switch back and forth from 50 to 200 based on your depth would be a pain. You do have to adjust sensitivity for different depths though.

lugnut

yep, i got the updates

bandedbait; i didn't know that

flippinout

Hey Lug,

My 522i also shows alot of "trash" on the screen when I fish around here.  I was up at Kentucky Lake in April and then up at Lake Norfork over the 4th weekend and the screen was nice and clear.  I'm guessing the stuff in the water is affecting the signal.  You and I both fish the same places so I know what you're talking about.