Lake O' The Pines Bass Fishing Report

Started by docwaldo, May 16, 2004, 02:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubeflipper

I hear ya.  That's the biggest issue.  Getting out of bed.

Once I head toward the lake....IT'S ON!!   8)    Only Lightening will get me back off that lake.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Tubeflipper

I was reading some posts about Caddo the other day and it dawned on me how lucky we are to have the opportunity to fish East Texas.

There is such a wide variety of lakes in this area. You have lakes with totally different features to choose from.

Some lakes are heavily vegetated. Wide Varieties of vegetation.
Some have almost no vegetation.
Some are loaded down with boat docks to fish.
Some have standing timber in very deep water.
Some have standing timber in relatively shallow water.
Some have extensive rocky shorelines to fish.
Some have steady rivers flowing into and out of them.
Some are warm water lakes (power plant lakes).
And then you have Caddo which is heavily populated with live cypress trees to fish.

From the Pines to Palestine. From Caddo to Lake fork. The Trio of Bob Sandlin, Monticello, and Cypress. The small power plant lakes like Welch and Perky. You can throw in the Sulphur river and Lake Wright Pat.

NorthEast Texas is a magnificent bass fishing opportunity.

bulldog

The water is finally closer to normal and the ramp are once again functional.  Should be prime for shallow water bass.  plenty of fresh grass.  The  ~tumble is finally over.
Bulldog                                          Member
                                                    B.A.S.S.

Mike Cork

Thanks for the update, I guess the white perch population didn't get to much damage this winter. I imagine the fishing pressure wasn't as much.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

bulldog

I saw very very few boats on the water during the winter.  Should be one hot hot Crappie season next November, December and January.   ~shhh Caught 6 nice size crappie saturday on spinnerbaits.  They are about ready to spawn and are still getting started on their nests.  In coves in about 3-6 ft of water right now.  Was fishing for bass...
                                                    B.A.S.S.

Tubeflipper

You can pull some HUGE slabs out of this lake if you get on the right spot. 

I've never seen Crappie so big as the ones I've caught on the Pines. 

bulldog

Fished Saturday near 155 bridge.  Partner and I caught about 30 bass between the two of us from 7:30 til 2:30.  The fish were in the grass in about 6'-8' of water.  The grass was 3' under near timber.  The fishing is really good on partly cloudy days.  Spinnerbaits, Rattletraps, and 6" worms are the rule.     
                                                    B.A.S.S.

bigtex

It looks like its going to be another hot DRY summer.  We still need lots of rain.  I drive by the 155 bridge on my way to work at Lone Star Steel.  It sure is tempting to call in sick.  LOL :-*

bulldog

:-* might wanna call in this weekend... ~rain thunderstorms approaching the last of the week... get near the creeks and catch'em in that fresh water flowin' in ~cf
                                                    B.A.S.S.

Tubeflipper

Heading that way this coming weekend.  Hope to get out on the pines.

bulldog

KYKX this weekend.  Are you fishin' the Tourney?  Should be plenty crowded on that lake.
                                                    B.A.S.S.

Tubeflipper

Anyone fished the Pines lately? 

I haven't had a chance to get back over there.  I'm curious about the water level on the north end near the 155 bridge.

bulldog

water is dropping fast.  It will be back to as low as it was last summer if we don't get a couple of good rains soon.  It is almost too low on the 155 bridge.  The stumps are there under the water so you can not go too fast even in the boat lane.  The fishing is good right now though, if you don't mind shallow water.  My partner caught a fish between 8-10 lbs last week near the bridge.  We did not get the actual weight because my electronic scale died and the his manual scale was out of the boat.  I am being conservative in saying 8 lbs.  It was a big one.  We let go it pretty quick to make sure it survived.  It had wrapped the line around a tree limb in the water at about 3'.  I managed to unwrap it and get the fish in the net.  We were having success with lizards, horney toads, and spinnerbaits in 3' to 7' of water.  he caught the big one on a spinnerbait.  all fish were tight to cover under heavy clouds.  That was unusual since they usually are more agressive and spread out under cloudy conditions.  The zoom horney toad worked well for me about 5-7 in the evening, but not after 7.
                                                    B.A.S.S.

Lipripper

bulldog thanks for the report and sounds like ya'll need some rain down there real bad  :'( :'(

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

bulldog

Been to LOP twice in the last week.  Saturday the water was about 89 degrees in the morning when I caught 4 pounder near the 155 bridge on a black buzzbait at 6:30am. 

I went yesterday evening from 5:30 til just after dark.  The water temp was a hot 91 degrees.  I threw everything at the fish, got all kinds of bumps and swirls before tying on a spook.  They would bump the spook with their nose from underneath knocking it a foot above the water.  circle it for about 5-10 seconds before finally taking it under.  Caught two at just before dark.    One a two pounder and and a nice three pounder +. >:(Lost my spoook on a lily pad. This was of course near the 155 bridge in about 4-6 feet of water just off the lily pads and gunk edge. 

Looks like they are headed to deeper water or will get really tight to cover now.  Summer dog days are here...
                                                    B.A.S.S.

topcat

Thanks Bulldog for the  fishing report......been years since I have fished the lake of the Pines
your report makes me want to visit the lake again ....for a big one......

Topcat

KennyP

I am going camping on LOP this weekend and looking for some info on the lake. I have never been on the lake before so any thing would help.

KennyP
Sit Down, Shut Up, and Hang On....We Gone Fishin'

bulldog

You should launch near the overlook at Buckhorn Creek on the Dam.  You will see some good spots in the Johnson Creek area and across/up at Copeland Creek ( mid to south end of the lake).  Look for spots on the map that show points and humps near deeper water in the coves and then later in the day move closer to the main lake points..  If you fish in the morning, topwater will be good with Frogs and Spooks.  Afternoon take to deeper water at about 8'-14' with texas, wacky, and even carolina rigs. Take about 6' or 7' off of the normal elevation when reading the map.  Summer colors are Watermelon, Junebug, Fire and Ice, in the shallower water, pumkin or black n blue in deeper water.  White or green chartruese spinnerbaits with gold blades; willow
                                                    B.A.S.S.

KennyP

Thanks Bulldog. I am heading out after work tomorrow for the weekend. This will give me a good place to start.

KennyP

KennyP

Well, I spent the weekend on Lake of the Pines and had a great time. That is one nice lake. Fished Johnson Creek Friday afternoon until dark and lost 2 at the boat.  Both on a 200 crankbait, Louisiana Shad. Sat we fished from daylight until around 1000 and put 6 in the boat. 4 on spinnerbait white/chart and 2 on sweetbeaver California 420. Sunday morning fished until 0900 and boated 2 more. Again 1 on spinnerbait and 1 on a crankbait. We did try top water, C-rig and finesse worms with no luck.

The water was very low but we were able to get around with out any problems. This was my first time on the lake and I am sure I will go back.

KennyP