.::Alexa Toolbar::.

Started by MotherNature, July 30, 2004, 12:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotherNature

ok here we go again ;) I will BRB

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

Ranger375

"It Ain't all the things that we don't know that causes all the trouble...it's all the things that we DO know that ain't so!"

MotherNature

We are cookin' with grease now ;) It even told me that 34 visitors bookmarked my web page.... that is so cool!!!

Laurie

Ranger375

Did I tell ya or did I tell ya!!   ;D
"It Ain't all the things that we don't know that causes all the trouble...it's all the things that we DO know that ain't so!"

MotherNature

You did tell me, but I asked ;) This is going to be great. I only have part of a day because I have never configured the server to hold on to the files but I did just now so we will be able to see how things are REALLY going now ;)

Ranger375

No I meant...that you would have all kinds of data to know what is happening in regard to traffic flow.  You were already on the right track anyway.

Ron Fogelson

So how does having us download this ALEXA tool bar help the website?  Does that mean everyone else that goes to the site without the tool bar doesn't count toward moving this site higher and higher on the scale to greatness?

Ranger375

With Alexa that is correct.  Alexa is a rating service and uses the toolbar to get data back from site users to see where they are going.  Alexa provides a search service and that helps promote the site to those that are looking for bass fishing sites.  There are a lot of ways that a site "moves" up the scale...depends on who you ask as to what "scale" means the most.

Ranger375

Laurie...one thing you want to watch is that those web logs will be growing on the server now that you have turned that on...they can get quite large and eat up disk space...usually you can just download them to your local PC and then dump them from the server after you have analyzed them...just a thought.

Ron Fogelson

OK cool, I downloaded it about a month ago, maybe a little less, but Hotmail was at 2 on my tool bar and myfamily.com is setting at 2,755 so I know we can at least get that high

8)
Play Nice or Die!
Fogy

Ranger375

Laurie...I am gonna hit the hay...might try going out fishing in the morning...have a good night!!

MotherNature

Have a good night Ranger, thanks for the help. I will download the logs daily probably and see how it goes. it is set to delete them once a month and archive them once  day ... not sure how that will all go but it is all a learning experieance anyway :)

Thanks for the help !!!

Mike Noble

Another move up the ladder...28,988...we are getting close to the next "goal".  I called Laurie...she was very excited.
Life is a B........each!

TREATING LIFE FAIRLY - e-reader

TREATING LIFE FAIRLY - paperback

Ask me about PROTANDIM

Mike Noble

Another move but not quite to the 25,000 mark yet....I think next week will do it for us.
Life is a B........each!

Ask me about PROTANDIM

MotherNature

:shocking:

Wow what a way to come home. I love this. I hope that we can continue to grow in page rank as we grow as a website. For those of you that are new to the site our goal in page rank is 25,000 on Alexa. To achieve that goal we ask that is you are at home on a computer download the Alexa Toolbar and add it to your browser. Alexa then counts the number of people that visit this site daily with the tool bar and it increases our page rank. The link is in this thread somewhere.... I will find it and add it later on.

Mother Nature

FisherMOM

Even if you've been fishing for 3 hours
and haven't gotten anything except
poison ivy and a sunburn,
you're still better off than the worm.

MotherNature

Alexa only gathers information on the sites that you visit. I don't consider it spyware but some of the programs out there that clean your computer of spyware do. You would have to look throught his thread and read some of the posts that are in it I think there is on that describes what it does. It does not collect any of your personal information if that is what you are asking it simply collects the information about the sites that you visit to give them a ranking.

Alexa ranks over 5 million sites on the internet and to do so it uses a toolbar to collect the URLs of the sites that you visit while it is visable on your browser. If you download it and then dont use it it will not do any good to have it on your computer.

If you use one of the more popular programs to clean your computer of spyware you can tell it not to delete the Alexa toolbar and it will leave it there.

Mother Nature

FisherMOM

the thing I worry about is will it eat up my computer's resources? 

I sure know that spyware slows a computer down tremendously. 
I have fixed a few of my friend's slow computers before...
and the only thing I did was dumped the spyware that was on their computer.

I will be at a friend's house tomorrow doing just this.  Her computer is being attacked by spyware for some reason.  hopefully tomorrow I can get
to the bottom of it for her.

I'll have to research Alexa some I suppose.

MotherNature

Good Luck, I have had to deal with spyware and various other things of that nature and it is a pain to have to deal with cleaning up computers since it isn't like you asked for these people to invade your computer but they do it anyway. I hope you get things resolved for her.

I can only say that I dont have any trouble with Alexa's toolbar or Google's toolbar and I have both of those and others as well to monitor the search results and ranking of our site. If you find out anything interesting about the toolbar please let us know I like ot stay informed with any new information that you or others find.

Laurie

FisherMOM

well I had no luck with her computer.  I cannot update windows.. access is denied it says after 1/2 an hour of preparing to update.  I think I am going to reformat her computer.  I wasted a whole day there today... and got nothing accomplished with her computer.  granted we gabbed and had fun.. but the computer is still the same! boo hoo!

She is the one I am going salmon fishing with in a few weeks!

Mike Noble

It looks like...hope, hope, hope...we could break the 3,000 mark for posts this month.  Would that be awesome or what?

And one new member away from 400.
Life is a B........each!

Ask me about PROTANDIM

MotherNature

Wow we have over 120,000 hits this month and... we are sure to get that 400th member (hope hope hope)... The site is doing outstanding, it is because we have such charming members here  ;)

Mike Noble

I hope I am in the "such charming members" category.  I don't think I have ever been called charming...which is probably one of the few things I have NOT been called.

And I think you meant 120,000 hits.
Life is a B........each!

Ask me about PROTANDIM

MotherNature

that must be like "fine" or "thanks a lot" or even "nothing" oh and my personal favorite "never mind"

Laurie

MotherNature

Another move up the preverbial ladder...

Have to work just a little but harder to get to our goal... shhheeeewww 25,000 it is still 1,582 away :(