Sonar question

Started by BlackStrat, January 19, 2008, 01:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackStrat

Hey guys, I have about $200 to spend.  I'm kinda torn between a Humminbird 565 (or a 535 or 525) and Lowernace X96.

Which would you recommend?

OR....

If there is another brand/model you'd recommend, then please do so.

Thanks everyone!
RajunCajun™
Insert witty comment here

<><

BlackStrat

Also looking at a Humminbird 141C.....

This is so confusing!

<><

Lee Smith

I'm a Lowrance guy myself, always have been ;D JMO

Through the years I have gotten used to the look and when I'm in someone elses boat with a different type, I just can't read the graph as well.  I think it truly has more to do with their settings as compared to mine than anything else to be honest though.

Lee
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

BlackStrat

After a little further investigation, I was reading an artice on here about sonar and the author said  something about getting a high resolution.

Here's the resolution I found the fore mentioned units to have...

525 = 240 vertical pixel x 240H high contrast 5" screen
535 = 320 vertical pixel x 320H ultra high contrast 5" screen
565 = 640 vertical pixel x 320H ultra high contrast 5" screen

X96 = 320H x 320W pixel resolution, also with a 5" screen

I already have a Humminbird PirhanaMax 20 that I'm planning on moving the transducer to the back of the boat and put the new one on my TM.

<><

Hydra-Sport'n

Hey Raj..I had a couple of Hummingbirds..always had trouble with the screens just going black..then all of a sudden start opperating again...got to be real frustrating on the water as you can imagine..so a replaced both units with Lowrance haven't had any issue to date...One is the Lms480 the other is the eagle 320 which is basically the X96..

Guess it all boils down individual taste..and pixel counts and customer service...also hummingbird has that tri-beam transducer feature.....Lowrance has emulators to download enabling you to test run the units ...good luck

Bassinkorea

I have the HB 525 and for what I need it works great, but if I was to buy a new system I would spend a lot more money to get something a bit better
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Jdaddy

Quote from: Bassinkorea on January 20, 2008, 11:02:50 PM
I have the HB 525 and for what I need it works great, but if I was to buy a new system I would spend a lot more money to get something a bit better

I'm with Steve on that, if you can wait and save some more money you will get a better unit.
Are you looking for a GPS/Fish Finder unit or just Fish finder.

Look into those:

1. Lowrance X135 Fish-finder -Monochrome unit, built in temp, 4,000 watts of peak to peak power,  5" screen - solid unit for about $200-$250

2. LOWRANCE LMS-480 FISHFINDER SONAR GPS -Great unit for about $180-$220

3. Lowrance LCX-15MT - Fishfinder, GPS Capable, 350 x 480 - $250-$300

4. Lowrance X91 Depth/fishfinder - ok, simple to use unit - $180-$250

If you can step up to the $350-$400 range you will find very nice units, lms 520, 332c etc
Hope that helps a bit.

P.S - I like Lowrance more then Humminbird. All 4 units I told you will be better then the X96.

BlackStrat

Thanks guys.  I really appreciate all your advice.

Hopefully, within the next couple of years I'm going to get a Tracker.  I was planning on upgrading the FF/GPS to a Lowrance and the TM to a 24v with the highest # of thrust I can afford.

I'll probably hold off and save some more cash or just deal the Humminbird PirhanaMax 20 until then.

Thanks again for the GREAT advice!

<><

coldfront

I have the LMS-480 unit on the bow...and recently put an LCX-17m on the console.  Pretty much over-gunned for a little 16 foot john boat...(but it makes me feel better)...

Both are GPS enabled...

I too am a huge HUGE fan of Lowrance...although the new Humminbirds ability to 'paint' to the side is awful tempting...even at national budget price levels...

Stump bumper

Can I ask why you are not looking at Eagle? I have a 525 on front and an Eagle 480 GPS/Sonar on the rear and the Eagle outdoes the Humingbird all the way around and cheaper than lawrance.
Beaver Lake  Arkansas

BlackStrat

Quote from: Stump bumper on January 22, 2008, 06:56:00 PM
Can I ask why you are not looking at Eagle? I have a 525 on front and an Eagle 480 GPS/Sonar on the rear and the Eagle outdoes the Humingbird all the way around and cheaper than lawrance.
I honestly don't know.

I've never owned anything other than a Humminbird, but I'm seeing more and more Lowrances...so I figured all those Lowrance owners can't be wrong.

<><

coldfront

on an interesting note, a few years ago I went to replace my bow Eagle 240 with my Lowrance LMS-480..turns out that I couldn't just swap out the unit...had to also replace the 'cords' (power, etc)...something about the circuits being 'backwards' relative to each other...

Personally, I really like the Lowrance units I have...probably wouldn't upgrade or change unless it would be to a Humminbird with the side sonar...that definitely as applications...other than that, if you're just looking down, or using the side finder technolog to 'spot' fish, well, I wouldn't...