Adding An Additional Fishfinder

Started by Herdbull, November 22, 2007, 10:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herdbull

Just wondering if anyone ever heard of this?

I would like to add an additional fishfiner to my boat which is a G3. I already have one on the console but would like to put one in the front at my trolling motor pedal. The marina said it might be a problem adding one because of the transducers??

I don't understand?  Does anyone know what they mean by that?

I already have a Lowrance unit.

Anyway thanks to all responses and Happy Thanksgiving

bassadict69

Put the transducer for the front depth finder on the bottom of your trolling motor & you shouldn't have any problems!

BassBUFF

fishin couillon

Don't know what's wrong with your marina but 99.99% of boats have them in both places.

guardrail

Herdbull  i have a g3 hp200 and have a transducer on my trollingmotor and hve no problems like everybody has said most bass boat have them mounted there already

Herdbull

Thanks Guy's I appreciate the responses. I'll give it a try.

tomd

On your boat it should not be a problem but with some shorter boats the transducers can read each others signals and get all confused.  On my 16' boat the front unit will go nuts if the back unit is on.  You may see some issues if the water you fish is deep enough for the signals to cross.

Good Luck,
Tom D.

Herdbull

Tomd,

That's probably what they were refferring to when they said it could create a problem.

Thanks

coldfront

Quote from: Herdbull on December 17, 2007, 10:53:09 AM
Tomd,

That's probably what they were refferring to when they said it could create a problem.

Thanks

I'm set up with a Lowrance LX-17 on the console (transducer off the stern) and an LMS-480m on my bow mounted trolling motor.  The boat is a 16 foot aluminum jon boat.

sometimes in deeper water (>15 feet) or on particularly hard bottom I get feedback  when both units are on.

But, to be candid, I've taken to not using the sonar units when I know the area I'm targeting/fishing.  I prefer (and think my catch rates go up) to fish without the sonars 'on'...

But they're invaluable for learning bottom contours and relationships...

Herdbull

Hey guy's thanks to all the replys. I appreciate it.

I think I found the solution. I just purchased a 2 way transducer switch that lets me switch between units, front and back.  Got it from LEI for $109.00 that is for the Lowerance units. I think this will work out pretty good. It eliminates mounting a 2nd transducer on the boat.