Lowrance 522 power up help

Started by Jdaddy, September 13, 2007, 05:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdaddy

see if you can help me out,

i got 3 wires coming from the power connector, 1 - Data cable ( don't Care about it )
2 - NMEA-2000 power cable ( i guess that means GPS )
3 - ( another Power on/off )

i want to connect the power to  something like a toggle switch right? on/off.
OK, lets say I will, just to protect my cranking battery from draining.

Do i need to connect the thick power cable to the battery then to a fuse then to the switch and the unit and  after i did that do i need another different switch to the GPS ( battery > switch>fuse>unit)?????

or can i even hook them together, will the GPS still work if Its only connected to the the regular power cable and not the GPS power cable.

BassBUFF

I'm pretty sure if you're using it as a stand alone unit you won't have to hook up the Nema power line. Is this the internal antenna model??

fishin couillon

Jdaddy, did you have a depth finder on the console before?? If so, you can use the power wires to connect power up to the new unit. Also, i believe that you have to connect the NEMA power for the internal antenna to work. The reason i say this is cause on the external antenna it has to be connected to power. Also you should have a fuse block under the dash. Check and see if there is any empty slots to connect the nema wire to. If so, then when you turn the mast switch off, it will shut off the power for nema. Basically, this is how i done mine. Recap, i use existing power wires from old unit for new unit and nema wires are connected to an empty slot on the fues block.

-Shawn-

You only need to conect the nmea wires if you are going to network lowrance products together. if you are using as a stand alone unit disregard the nmea wires.  ;)

fishin couillon

Even though it has the internal antanna??? I'm not sure on that one cause i have an external and you have to connect the nema wires for it to power up.

-Shawn-

Yep the internal powers off the unit with no other hookups.

Jdaddy

I connected only the thick cable ( red and black ) and it works great, I used it three times so far and did not had any problems, gps is reading fine, in fact here is a picture of the gps speed from yesterday on a choppy lake with the jack not set up yet ( still on 4" under pad ) i know i know, being lazy.