Humminbird 797c2 Side Imaging

Started by nlareau, November 28, 2006, 06:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nlareau

Smaller unit is out, the SI technology is under $1000.   Ooooh, I want one bad.

http://www.humminbird.com/products.asp?ID=983
The early bird may get the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Bane

Id love to have that up on the bow, but I dont know if that would interfere with the Lowrance LMS 337 and its GPS stuff already in the boat.

got me thinking now...

OHbassaholic

I have a side finder on my boat now that came with it.  I don't care for it and have no plans to replace it with another that does the same.  Those things pick up everything that is floating by.  I've seen leaves go by about a foot under the surface and have the fish finder pick it up.  When you use it to check under a dock, it will show all kinds of targets.  Then you throw a lure up in there and drag out all kinds of junk.  To me, it's useless technology.

nlareau

You willing to sell it real cheap??  ;)
The early bird may get the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Warpath

Blaise,

Maybe you can turn down the sensitivity so you don't pick up every stray leaf that floats by the boat?  I heard, yu are a master of catching leaves however.  Now we know why.

Or, you could sell it to Neil.  He seems like he's interested in leaves floating by,too.

;D

Eric

J10B

yeah if its the 2k unit id send it back.. I've seen it work and if you are throwing at leaves....there is a problem with the unit, I have seen boots on the bottom of the water.

OHbassaholic

I'll have to give it a look.  I know it's several years old and came with the boat when I bought it.

J10B

i think you have the 2d one.  I think the poster was talking about the imaging one.  That you can see the bottom clearly not the mess you get from the older units.  HUmminbird has really turned around.

JEVSkeeter

Quote from: OHbassaholic on November 28, 2006, 09:34:56 AM
I have a side finder on my boat now that came with it.  I don't care for it and have no plans to replace it with another that does the same.  Those things pick up everything that is floating by.  I've seen leaves go by about a foot under the surface and have the fish finder pick it up.  When you use it to check under a dock, it will show all kinds of targets.  Then you throw a lure up in there and drag out all kinds of junk.  To me, it's useless technology.

Could not disagree more. If you're having issues with the unit let me know what you're really experiencing and I'll try to help you through the issues. I'll offer to trade or buy your unit also if you're that unhappy.

James 4:8,
Skeeter Boats Demo Team,
Yamaha, Minn Kota,
Humminbird, Navionics, Luck"E"Strike, Stay-N-Charge, BassWishes Tackle

JEVSkeeter

Quote from: OHbassaholic on November 29, 2006, 01:37:40 PM
I'll have to give it a look.  I know it's several years old and came with the boat when I bought it.

The units have not been out for several years??? Are you sure of the model number?

Skeeter Boats Demo Team,
Yamaha, Minn Kota,

mky286

Email me if you are willing to sell.  I have the 797si and love it!

Humminbird Greg

OHbassaholic,
I believe that you are talking about the WideSide transducer here.  Like the guys have said; the Side Imaging units only came out last year.  The WideSide and these are in totally different leagues.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
I help because I can...

JEVSkeeter

Greg,

Even the wide side like on my 787c is a great unit. Dropshot with it, no problem.

J.E.

Skeeter Boats Demo Team,
Yamaha, Minn Kota,

JayPea2006

I just installed my sidefinder week and a half ago and went with the best transducer (there is a choice of three, good, better, best). I have to say that it's the most incredible unit I've ever had on the boat!

I have found all kinds of brush piles, stacked trees, and tracked out an underwater pipeline along the lake bed. Law enforcement should have these things for finding anything from stolen cars to body recovery. It has such detail on it that nothing is safe anymore. I can go up to 350' to one side, or 150' on both sides. The other features include GPS, 3D compass heading/tracking, and other neat stuff. On the side finder, if you see something you like, you can move the cursor over to it and mark that spot as a waypoint.

Too friggin' cool  8)

BassBUFF

Do you have this on your TM or transom?

JayPea2006

Mine is mounted on the transom with no problems. It's in a break away bracket should it hit something.

JEVSkeeter

Transom mount is the way to go guys. TM mounts just offer to many potential issues, one being that the TM head moves to much and may cause the unit to go into search mode. Remember these units are used for "scouting and finding" and to work best a stead speed and constant heading give the best results.

Other than that, just like Jay says, THESE UNITS SMOKE!!!!!

Skeeter Boats Demo Team,
Yamaha, Minn Kota,

10ecfan26

I have a 797c2 mounted on the front of the boat with transducer mounted on trolling motor. Works great until I hit the on button on the trolling motor. I have had a Minn Kota 80 lb thrust and a Motor guide Tour edition 80 lb thrust up front.  Both motors result in terrible interference even with noise filter turned all the way up.  I have contacted Humminbird by email and phone and I have been ignored.

Woody

Andrew

Quote from: 10ecfan26 on June 15, 2007, 04:49:33 PM
I have a 797c2 mounted on the front of the boat with transducer mounted on trolling motor. Works great until I hit the on button on the trolling motor. I have had a Minn Kota 80 lb thrust and a Motor guide Tour edition 80 lb thrust up front.  Both motors result in terrible interference even with noise filter turned all the way up.  I have contacted Humminbird by email and phone and I have been ignored.

Woody

Go to this place right here. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaging/

This is the forum for the side sonar units. They can help you there.
Everyone talks about rock these days; the problem is they forget about the roll - Keith Richards

Humminbird Greg

Woody,

The Yahoo Unofficial Humminbird Side Imaging Group is a good place to start for information on the Side Imaging (Si) units; even if you are having a problem.  Better yet: e-mail me directly.  I try to check my e-mail at least twice a day on weekends.  If we need to talk by phone send me a number and time to call.

Greg Walters at Humminbird

I help because I can...

T1A

I wonder if there are any demo units available??  ~an~ 8) lo

JEVSkeeter

Sure is, for a eleven hundred you can demo last years model. Shipping paid....... 

Skeeter Boats Demo Team,
Yamaha, Minn Kota,

HammytheFisherman

For those with this unit, where did you mount the GPS beacon? Looking to get the unit installed this week during my free time.  ~shade
-Team Outcast

bigbassbuck69

I whish they would make smaller unit without the gps so i could put it on front by the trolling motor
The Performance Company

Aussie_Drew

I second that, generally I just don't use the GPS up front.