Dobyns Jerk bait Rod ?

Started by Mike Cork, October 08, 2013, 04:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

Well the season is coming. Jerk baits and Jigs! I love my jig rods and it's time to get my Jerkbait rod lined out.

Which one do you boys and girls like the best and why?

I know some of you northern boys live on Jerk Baits nearly year round so I'm counting on your inputs here :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

bobsquatch13

Well, waiting to see what some of the guys say - I am wanting to try jerkbaits a little more and not really sure I have a good rod for it? Hopefully someone with knowledge checks in?

Polaris425

Not a Dobyns, but I have a veritas (the white one) micro eye medium I usually throw mine on. Decent rod for the price.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

ʇuǝɹq™

I know I'm not a northern jerk bait guru, but I use a savvy 733.

Down4ttown

Have one of them Rick Clunn Jerkbait rods as I am still new to it. Jig Rod is a DX744 or Irod 7' MH AIR. Irod is stouter, but DX is more sensitive.

Craig314

I have two rods i use for jerkbait rod:

Dobyns 863 and a Loomis GLX 802 JWR both are paired with Revo MGX's. 6'8'' is the perfect length for me and I can work the bait very well. I know your a Dobyns guy so try the 863 as I love the action for use with a jerkbait.
A bad day fishin beats a good day workin!!!! or as my daddy says when all else fails use dynamite!

slabgrabber

I'm in Maine, I have 2 jerkbait setups. 1 is a spinning rod , Falcon bucoo 7' med., Shimano Sahara 3000, Seaguar Tatsu 8lb. FC. This is my spring /fall rig for 4" and under jerkbaits. Also shallow in summer on windy banks working it fast. This rod has great spine, slow, soft tip and only wieghs 4.5 oz.Land plenty of 3-4lbers with no problems. My other set-up is a Falcon Coastal Rod baitcast(saltwater series), 7' med. action paired with a Lews tournament MG 7:1, 12 lb P-Line Copolymer.Again, very light rod, plenty of spine, very slow tip. This set up sees a lot of action in late summer when the bait is bigger and the bass much more active(fighting), the fast reel to keep up with them. Both set ups are well balanced and easily fished all day without fatigue.My Coastal?MG set up is now switched over to a second topwater(spook, walking baits), The smallies are on fire on top and this gives me the ability to to have 2 color/size walkers going. Both rods are under 120.00, hope this helps.( I can't afford Dobyns, wish I could!)

Eric-Maine

My favorite jerk bait baitcasting rod is a Diawa Lt&Tough 6'6" topwater
Lately I have been using a 7' 6" shimano crucial spinning jig and worm rod and found that it could cast a good 30% farther (to get down deeper)and has the backbone to set the hook at that greater distance and length and tip to power the fish in without pulling out the trebles.

rockchalk06

I got to try out a 684 the other day and really liked how it felt on the cast, but it felt just a tad whippy on the jerk. I had the same question on which to use. I have a 733 and tried using it. It felt great, but the length was too much. I think a 704 would be better, but not a fan of the split grip. I may go with an Avid medium fast.

HellaBass

Quote from: rockchalk06 on October 11, 2013, 04:37:38 AM
I got to try out a 684 the other day and really liked how it felt on the cast, but it felt just a tad whippy on the jerk. I had the same question on which to use. I have a 733 and tried using it. It felt great, but the length was too much. I think a 704 would be better, but not a fan of the split grip. I may go with an Avid medium fast.

I bought the Champion 684CB thinking that would be my jerkbait rod, but it is pretty soft, so I use that for shad raps only really small jerkbaits.  My main jerkbait rod that I feel does the best job for me is the Dobyns Champion 704C.

rockchalk06

Quote from: HellaBass on October 11, 2013, 10:30:41 AM
I bought the Champion 684CB thinking that would be my jerkbait rod, but it is pretty soft, so I use that for shad raps only really small jerkbaits.  My main jerkbait rod that I feel does the best job for me is the Dobyns Champion 704C.

The 704 doesn't feel too long for you?

Bigwrench

I'm glad you asked this question Mike !  A lot of great info here ! I have been trying to decide which rod to try them out on also.  I can't get the hang of them to save my life, but really only tried them a handful of times.  I have the SS703, 704c,733c ,705cb,CW734,765cb glass,DX745
I was thinking 703,733 might work ?
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

Gwamba

I work my rod tip down and even being 6'2" , I like a shorter rod...I switched from a 703CB to a 684CB
using 8# Gamma Fluoro with good results on big Smallies.
Dobyns Rods   Piscifun Reels   Xcite Baits 
Rapala  Strike King

steve76

Do you guy's use the jerkbait rod for topwater also? I was thinking about a savvy 663 but now I am thinking it might be too soft from the responses here.

Jim VR

Dobyns 684CB is my favourite Jerkbait Rod!

Jim Van Ryn
www.therodglove.com

rockchalk06

Quote from: steve76 on October 12, 2013, 07:53:20 PM
Do you guy's use the jerkbait rod for topwater also? I was thinking about a savvy 663 but now I am thinking it might be too soft from the responses here.

I use a fast for top water. I can't get a decent walking action on a moderate like I can with a fast. I also use 6'6"-6'8" as well.

jjpatton

I use a dobyns 684cb for most of my jerkbaits, usually have a shad rap 5 or 7 on the 704cb.  The 663 would probably work well, havent used it and hope not to for at least 3--4 mo until i go back to jerkbaits after ice out  :'(
JJ Patton
www.dobynsrods.com
www.brovarneybaits.com

Mike Cork

This turned out to be a great thread  ~c~ thanks for everyone's input, keep it coming if you can answer someone's questions  ~c~

Cork's Reel Service

Down4ttown

Quote from: jjpatton on October 13, 2013, 12:26:19 AM
I use a dobyns 684cb for most of my jerkbaits, usually have a shad rap 5 or 7 on the 704cb.  The 663 would probably work well, havent used it and hope not to for at least 3--4 mo until i go back to jerkbaits after ice out  :'(

Not to Hijack, but how do you throw those lighter baits on a baitcaster? I can never seem to do it.

Mike Cork

Quote from: Down4ttown on October 14, 2013, 08:33:18 AM
Not to Hijack, but how do you throw those lighter baits on a baitcaster? I can never seem to do it.

I actually prefer a spinning rod myself. I find it much easier to work the baits. However I find I can cast further with a bait caster and it just takes practice to work a bait with them.

Cork's Reel Service

Gary Dobyns

CB and Jerk bait rods are great sellers for us. We have a strong line of both Glass and Graphite. It's a personal preference between the two materials. I will say our Glass rods are very light and not bulky like many others. They are a blend and I use graphite in butt section only to knock out weight and make smaller butt diameters. The forward 60% of blanks are glass and these fish like glass. I personally prefer Graphite CB rods. Ours are a true Mod-Fast and load back into the mid section of the blanks. The 704 CB is my favorite Jerk bait rod. My favorite bait is Staycee 90 and the 704 CB is perfect for it. I do not work the tip straight down like some guys do. Our best seller is 705 CB, but 704 CB is strong right behind it. We have a lot of requests for an ever shorter CB rod for Jerk baits and poppers. I am making a 634 CB and a 635 CB because of the requests. These are Mod-Fast and will be available later this year. We do sell lots of Savvy Series for Jerk baits. It just depends on how an angler fishes. I believe the Mod-Fast loading helps to keep fish pinned and helps work the bait the way I like it. Anyone with questions on rods, please give us a yell at the shop. We're glad to try and help with rod choices and info. THX!!

Mike Cork

Thanks Gary ~c~

Some many not realize it but over the years, Gary put a whoop'n on tournaments with the jerk bait. The man simply understands a rip bait and how it works.

I've got and use the 705cb quite a bit, almost for an all purpose shallow crank/trap rod. Looks like moving to the 4 power is going to be the ticket here.  ~c~

Cork's Reel Service

rockchalk06

He sold me two of his rods by speaking to me the very way he did above. Hard to find CS like that

civicrr

Quote from: Mike Cork on October 14, 2013, 01:34:15 PM
Thanks Gary ~c~

Some many not realize it but over the years, Gary put a whoop'n on tournaments with the jerk bait. The man simply understands a rip bait and how it works.

I've got and use the 705cb quite a bit, almost for an all purpose shallow crank/trap rod. Looks like moving to the 4 power is going to be the ticket here.  ~c~

I used to use a 705CB or 705CB Glass for all my ripbaits.  I got the opportunity to listen to Gary speak last year at the Sacramento ISE.  After watching his presentation, I went to the booth & spoke to Richard.  Speaking to Richard, he confirmed that I was overworking the smaller ripbaits using the 705CB.  What was happening was that the baits were just rolling over on their sides & being dragged through the water.  Going to the 704CB for the Staysee 90, Pointer 78 & sometimes the Pointer 100, I've become a better ripbait fisherman. 

Mike Cork

Good post civicrr, something I didn't think about  :-*

Cork's Reel Service