Duracell deep cycle batteries - anyone hear if they're any good?

Started by SenkoSam, September 10, 2013, 07:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SenkoSam

I was shopping at Sam's Club and went over to automotive to price Everstart. They only carry Duracell auto and marine batteries. Any good?

fishinfranklin

Sam I cant say anything about the Duracell battery but I can tell you the everstart from walmart are very good batteries and worth the money. I have some with early 08 dates that I am still using and still last all day.

Creel Limit Zero

Been running 2 Duracell AGM batteries for my TM the past year.  Been running well so far, but it is only the first year so can't give anything to you in terms for durability. 

SenkoSam

Thanks. The marine deep cycles were around $85 and the AGM above $160 and for the expected life, I'm not sure AGMs are worth the extra cost. The AGMs from Cabelas are three years old.

Creel Limit Zero

I'm running the Bass Pro AGM's on my reservoir rig now for 8 years, and they still are holding a charge.  AGM batteries will out last marine deep cells by far, and they deliver the full voltage until they are almost dead, whereas a wet cell battery will slowly lose voltage until they are dead.  Plain and simple, AGM batteries to me are well worth it, they last more than twice as long, and deliver better performance while on the water. 

FYI - to put it in perspective, on my reservoir rig, my 2 AGM batteries and my Bow mount TM are my only source of power.  So when I go out, I am constantly running my TM on 100% power to move from one spot to another.  So I am putting those batteries through the ringer, sometimes running several miles from the ramp on 100% power and still making it back.   ~c~

All this being said, I do not put the same faith in the Optima AGM batteries.  While I haven't used them, too many folks have put out a lot of problems with them so I won't try them.

Bigwrench

From reading consumer reports it shows Duracell and everstart are made by the same company
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

fishinfranklin

Bigwrench I was told by a interstate rep. once that Johnson controls made most batteries sold in the us

goosehunter4499

I run 8-6volts on my reservoir rig for my Torqeedo motor.  I have had them for 3 years and use them alot.  Like Creel stated, these batteries are the only source of power.  I usually don't run them below 30% but they do get used 3-4 times a week.  Nothing bad to say about them. 

Princeton_Man

I'm running two Duracell AGMs I bought from SAM's a little over a year ago so I may never know how many years they'll go. I researched them a little before spending the extra money and what I learned at the time worked for me. My boat's ProSport 20+ charging system always stays connected to AC year round until we pull out of the driveway.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

SenkoSam

One thing I'm sure of - it doesn't pay to fight the wind working a shoreline. I have a Minn Kota 40# thrust to pull my bass boat and 2-three year old batteries will go dead in just a few hours unless I position the boat going with the wind and use a sea anchor to slow me down. If the wind is around 5 mph, no problem; above 15 - forget it!

I did well yesterday because of low wind and anchoring in spots I could fan cast (large humps). I still had 80 % in two and 75 % in another according to the digital charger. Though AGMs hold their charge during long periods of non-use, I'll probably have to charge them occasionally once a month in winter.
Curious about how well your Duracell AGMs from Sams will do year after next.

West6550

I had everstarts from WalMart in the old boat and they held up well and lasted no problem.

The new boat came with Optima's which I'm excited about.. especially since I didn't have to buy them lol

WalMart does have a warranty if memory serves me. Just keep your receipt and if the have issues on the "test" then WalMart will exchange them.

Oh and SenkoSam I agree 100%.. high wind sucks lolol

Princeton_Man

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

fishinfranklin

SenkoSam

E S

Going to look for cranking as well as trolling batteries in the near future.  The ones in my boat are over three years old (was on the boat when I bout it three years ago) and doing ok, but I don't want to get caught short.  The charger is on them constantly except when on the lake.
I appreciate the comments on the various brands. ~cf
BASS