Does the morning evening rule apply in 40 degree water?

Started by Bucketmouth91, March 16, 2013, 08:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucketmouth91

Does the morning evening rule apply in 30-40 degree water?

I understand the concept at night theres land breezes and in the day theres sea breezes. So in the morning and evening there may still be air coming off the land. High to low pressure, visibility, predator fish eye advantages play rolds as well. Im just wondering if the water is only a hand full of degrees above freezing, then does is there real difference in fish activity? Is it worth getting up at 5amor running to the lake at 5pm to catch cold water fish, or should I fish during the warm part of the day only, or what?
I'll do my talking on the water.

Creel Limit Zero

I've found this time of the year with warming water the better bite can be in the afternoon when the sun is shining and warming up the shallows.  Still, that morning bite can be good, but at 39-40 degree water you are talking about I'd usually a hard bite. 

Donald Garner

For me during the cold days I usually wait till the afternoon when the sun's been up and warmed that water up a little bit.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

BuckNutz

Man, I know what all the magazines say, but even if the water is cold I always see a "morning bite". I never skip that hour after day lite.
Flippers Rule the World!

Andrew

I think the morning bite is the best regardless of the time of year. Whether cold or warm water temps. I know from tournament fishing that 90% of all my limits are caught within the first hour or two of daylight. I think bass are mainly morning feeders more than any other time of the day. I know it's also easier to catch them grouped up early in the mornings. When the sun comes up and warms the water they start cruising around solo looking for food and you have to pick them off one by one.

When the water is as cold as you are describing they probably aren't gonna feed any better in the mornings as the evenings but I would still try for early morning bites.
Everyone talks about rock these days; the problem is they forget about the roll - Keith Richards

FishingTennessee

i raely EVER fish during summer uless its night or EARLY am but with spring coming on i would say Early evening seems to work good but then again im in TN.but we also can still get that mourning bite from time to time
Sponsord by https://www.facebook.com/MichaelsCustomBaits?fref=ts Jig maker cheap jig+ big fish=Winning

Bucketmouth91

overall yes the morning bite is better in the morning. scientifically the bass have better vision in that 30 min. of dim light than baitfish actually. Their eyes adjust quicker. Temperature/ presure chancge/ wind change with pressure can change can change the bite. I'm still leaning towards direct sunlight because that maybe a few degrees of extra heat when the land/water temp is practically parallel, fish matabolism and hunger may spike at periods of warmth. Remember I live in southern PA with a late winter.
I'll do my talking on the water.

Pat Curtis

For years I couldn't fish early AM because of my work schedule.  So I became great late mornings and throughout the afternoon.  That really hurts me in tournaments, but I feel like I have an advantage as the day goes on.

This time of the year in NE Indiana, where we still have some ice on the lakes, the north bays/coves/channels are definitely better in the afternoon.

Oldfart9999

Early morning would find the fish deeper, staging for the first grab at the feed bag, this is not prespawn, that is later. If you find them before the sun warms up the water you may be in for fast action, if you find the transition zones you should be able have action all day.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

coldfront

Quote from: Pat Curtis on March 17, 2013, 07:18:29 AM
For years I couldn't fish early AM because of my work schedule.  So I became great late mornings and throughout the afternoon.  That really hurts me in tournaments, but I feel like I have an advantage as the day goes on.

This time of the year in NE Indiana, where we still have some ice on the lakes, the north bays/coves/channels are definitely better in the afternoon.

good post.  if  you're only catching them first  hour...there's an awful lot left to learn.

not sure why, but I tend to catch my largest bass from 10-2...I get 'small kickers' in the morning...but the real heavyweights seem to come later in the day.  I'm thinking they move tighter to cover with increased sun angle.  and I'm putting my baits in front of them 'more'.

topcat

The North and the west banks will warm the quickest...and the best time to fish them is in the evening..
Remember the staind and murky warm quicker than the clear water....Hope this helps......

Topcat