Stupid lure names

Started by lapoolboy, March 10, 2013, 08:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lapoolboy

What's with lure companies using the word ""woops"y" in their bait names; i.e. "woops"y Shad, "woops"y Dawg, etc.?   ~b~  I know they are just playing on our emotions to get us to spend money but I think the names are dumb.

Bobby Saffel

Nothing is "woops"y about super shark treble hooks. Sounds painful actually

Team_Reeder20

It doesn't bother me. If I catch fish with it, I'll keep buying it. Looks like SK has done well with their ""woops"y" line of lures! ;)
Member of the "Little Boats, Big Bass" Fishing Club

Sponsors: Minda Lures

OxbowBass

The legend of the story is when Strike King people showed KVD a prototype of a new lure paint job, KVD responded "that's "woops"y."  Again according to the story, that is when the "woops"y Shad was born.  They had a great name with a nice bit of alliteration, and The GOAT as the author.

One thing followed another and everybody jumped on the "woops"y bandwagon.  Heck, a couple of years ago at BPS I bought a small plastic box from Strike King that had a sample of many baits all in the SS color scheme.  It ranged from topwater all the way down to a 6x crank. That box of baits has been a great producer so I guess they have developed a marketing scheme that really does work - at least for me.
Some people say doing the same thing over and over again, all the while expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.  I just call it fishing.

Oldfart9999

Watch TV then tell me what doesn't use "woops" to sell a product, even even cough meds for kids, ever notice the very attractive young mother administrating them?
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Herdbull

It's the way the advertising market works.

bass78

Well innovative reactions has some jewels in their names also... Kinky Beaver, sweet beaver, ect.  Plus the packages they are in are suggestive... it doesn't bother me but I don't want my 6 years old son to get a hold of them.
JJ's Magic Prostaff, The Rod Glove Pro Staff, Extreme Sunglasses Pro Staff,    Blue Sports Outdoors Pro staff,

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Herdbull on March 11, 2013, 08:11:14 AM
It's the way the advertising market works.
Actually it's the way we work, we are wired for s&x and that's why the banned word is used in advertising.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Facepunch

RI has the money shot lol. Smh

Bobby Saffel

Quote from: Facepunch on March 11, 2013, 10:52:18 AM
RI has the money shot lol. Smh

They also have penetration and dirty Sanchez

Creel Limit Zero

Quote from: Bobby Saffel on March 11, 2013, 10:59:18 AM
They also have penetration and dirty Sanchez

Just about the whole line cracks me up.  I have bought several color schemes I knew I wouldn't throw just because the name cracked me up...  Guess I'm the sucker they are targeting...   ~roflmao ~roflmao

allen howard

It was  a few years ago an FLW pro freind of mine gave me a package of skinny dippers. Which in it self is funny.But he said thats not what the guys on tour call it. he holds the lure up and said "What does that look like?" And sure enough if you look at it thats what it looks like. "We call it the swimmin D---k.''  lo It's a great swim bait but I still laugh everytime I get one out of the package.

SHEPHERD

I think it was Zona who called the paint scheme ""woops"y" so KVD/Strike King rolled with it.

OxbowBass

Thanks for getting me straight on that Shepherd.  Those two guys are joined at the hip and I am easily confused in my dotage. 
Some people say doing the same thing over and over again, all the while expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.  I just call it fishing.

West6550

A buddy showed me a site the other day for Shallow Water Anchor systems the flat boats use.. aka manual power poles lol any the site and company is:
Holdmypole.com lolol

Mike Cork

Quote from: West6550 on March 14, 2013, 03:09:34 PM
A buddy showed me a site the other day for Shallow Water Anchor systems the flat boats use.. aka manual power poles lol any the site and company is:
Holdmypole.com lolol

That's funny  ~roflmao

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

REDFISH

You mean like booyah?  I've never said booyah after catching a fish
Tight Lines,
Chris Breland

lunchbox

Quote from: lapoolboy on March 10, 2013, 08:30:30 AM
"woops"y Shad, "woops"y Dawg, etc.?   
The fact that you can name colors and lures means that it works. Even if you feel it is dumb you remember the product. It is a very high percentage chance that companies like Strike King and Pure Fishing do polling to find out if a color's name will fly.
Is the branding dumb? Sure. Is it any more dumb than "Like a Rock"? Who wants a truck that just sits there and erodes? I mean that is what rocks do right? Yet it was one of the most memorable and effective add campaigns Chevrolet had. The ""woops"y" branding is the same thing. We are programmed as males to gravitate to anything branded as ""woops"y". It is subliminal peer pressure. If you think I am being outlandish, I am not. It is a societal thing.
Brandon

coldfront

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on March 11, 2013, 07:55:16 AM
Watch TV then tell me what doesn't use "woops" to sell a product, even even cough meds for kids, ever notice the very attractive young mother administrating them?
Rodney

hit it's peak with REaction Innovations...which I think really opened up 'pandoras box'...

no pun intended.

TNDiver

Quote from: coldfront on March 15, 2013, 11:11:58 AM
hit it's peak with REaction Innovations...which I think really opened up 'pandoras box'...

Wow, this conversation has been interesting. We have been talking about "woops"y fish, phallic lures and now talking about opening someone's box!  Wait til Mother finds this thread!  ~roflmao
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

REDFISH

Quote from: coldfront on March 15, 2013, 11:11:58 AM

no pun intended.

Or sweet beaver...
Tight Lines,
Chris Breland

Bobby Saffel

Quote from: TNDiver on March 15, 2013, 05:23:29 PM
Wow, this conversation has been interesting. We have been talking about "woops"y fish, phallic lures and now talking about opening someone's box!  Wait til Mother finds this thread!  ~roflmao

If she finds this thread we'll be grounded for months!