What boat is the better deal? Pros and cons?

Started by saltfisher, March 05, 2013, 01:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltfisher

Ok... Time to buy a used boat. I fish alot of electric only lakes, but want some power for when I fish gas lakes. Both of these boats are around the same price $8k. What would you choose? Pros and cons?

2008 alumacraft MV TEX 16'
60 Yamaha 4 stroke
54lb minkota
basic fish ffinders great shape low hours

2002 triton 176 magnum 17'
90 horse Yamaha 2 stroke
2 lowrance ffinders garaged kkept
great shape overall also low hours

i also want aluminum as I fish alot of smaller lakes also.

Which boat sounds better? Pros and cons? I'm worried the 60 4 stroke won't be fast enough for me on the alumacraft, which is why I was aiming for the triton. But... Gas consumption will probably be alot better on the 60 4 stroke over the 90 2 stroke. Plus the alumacraft is newer, lighter. Input??

thanks guys!!!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
If you can't beat um, go fishin!!

DocIrv

Tough call but it would help if the prices were included and one was significantly less than the other. Also which is more important to you, the cost of running the boat or the speed? The triton aluminum is a nice rig.
UB members get a 20% discount. Use the coupon code UB20 during check out. If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
*But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I ret

Mike Cork

The Triton will be faster with the 90 if that's your goal. But that motor is 11 years old? There could be a reliability issue with it depending on how it was taken care of. The newer 4 stroke is going to last you for many many years. The 4 stroke technology is bullet proof, it's not as fast but it's a work horse and durable.

So if speed is your only concern the triton will be the way to go, but if value and durability is a priority it's a no brainer on the the Alumacraft, it's 6 years newer with the same money and will last longer from this date forward.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

saltfisher

The triton is $8k OBO, and the alumacraft is $7800. I was going to offer $7k on one of these boats. The alumacraft dry weight is only like 695lbs. Which is good because I have a jeep cherokee 6cyl I'm towing with.

Mike Cork

I think in the long wrong the reliability of the 4 stroke will play heavily into your favor. Sure it might be a couple mph slower because it's a 60 but being a 4 stroke it's going to save money in the long run. Fuel and oil costs savings alone will pay for your fishing.

Cork's Reel Service

saltfisher

That's a good idea. Plus the gas won't be ran much. Our biggest lake in the area is 2000 acres, and the fingers are no wake. I will take trips to the susquhanna flats, and patomac maybe 2 or 3 times a year, but still, the 60 will be fine. That's also max horsepower for that boat so it still should move pretty decent. Plus use alot less gas.

Mike Cork

Another point that comes about with the way you'll be using the boat and that ethanol exposure. While still an issue that needs to be treated with a 4 stroke it's not near the problem that it presents in 2 strokes. With a lot of sitting or non use of the fuel in the tanks you'll be getting a lot of phase separation that is going to be brutal on the 2 cycle.

Cork's Reel Service

steve76

I would think you should be able to easily get 36-38 mph with that 60, maybe even faster since the boat is a 16' and lighter. I would jump on the Alumacraft over the Triton. You probably have a little more storage on the Triton if that is real important to you.

Oldfart9999

Which boat has more storage? Which would you prefer to fish from? I happen to prefer 2 strokes and Yammys are very reliable. Filters can take care of the water issues and if it will sit for a long time Marine Stabil should be used whether it a 4 or 2 stroke. The other question is what condition is either boat in?
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

saltfisher

The triton has more storage being its 1 foot bigger and has a extra storage compartment. Not a big issue.  The alumacraft is almost showroom.

saltfisher

Another thing to, is the alumacraft is 6 years newer, and should have a better resale value with the 4 stroke if I ever decide to sell it. It's the TEX special edition also, which seen the same ones in other states go for $9k and up.

BassAssassign

Get the alluminum enough said, old boats just arnt reliable. ;PEP)

coldfront

Quote from: saltfisher on March 05, 2013, 09:23:32 AM
The triton is $8k OBO, and the alumacraft is $7800. I was going to offer $7k on one of these boats. The alumacraft dry weight is only like 695lbs. Which is good because I have a jeep cherokee 6cyl I'm towing with.

there is no comparison.  of course, bear in mind that I thnk the best aluminum bass boat ever made is the Triton 176magnum...

so my answer is the Triton.  lay out of the boat/storage...hull design...  no comparison in my book.
(I missed out on a 10K Triton 176magnum over a year ago...and just bought a new Ranger Rt178 for over twice that... :surrender:)

and then there's this:  beam for the triton is 85"...beam for the Alumacraft MV TEX is 74"

going out on open water, bigger water?  still the answer is triton.  looking for a more stable side to side boat?  triton...

by the way, here's a great link to a site with some good photos...(try finding a 17.5 aluminum boat today that has a 90hp rating!)  http://www.texasboatworld.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=20928
Pay the man!

Oldfart9999

Actually I think the AlumaCraft should be a smoother ride, it's a true V, even with a narrower beam. I'm just not a big fan of 4 strokes, they have more moving parts and need oil changes, they tend to weigh more. I like simplicity, that's my bottom line. You have to buy the boat you are comfortable with and if you think it's the AlumaCraft then by all means go for it, you'll be happier and you know what you want and need in a boat. I have a 95 Tracker Pro Deep V 16 and I love the boat and I hope to a restoration and some mods that would make it fit me even better.
Rodney

saltfisher

The alumacraft is a semi v like the triton is.

coldfront

Quote from: saltfisher on March 05, 2013, 04:18:42 PM

plus, if you go on to the alumacraftwebsite, it seems to suggest it's a 4° deadrise.  that's a very flat bottom on the back end.

think you'll like either boat...but I bet you can't tell which one I'd steer you toward... lo

saltfisher

Only reason I'm aiming towards the smaller boat, is its lighter by about 500lbs package weight over the triton. And it's easier to tow to the smaller lakes I fish with my jeep cherokee 4.0 straight 6. easier on the tranny and motor. Probably 8 times out of 10 will be electric only lakes. If I fished alot of big lakes, I would no doubt be looking at glass. But I fish some hairy places, rocks, even the susquhanna river every once in awhile.

Fisher of Men

GO with the alumacraft... I have an Alumaweld Xpress with a 90hp Yamaha and 6" jackplate and i top out at 47mph.  I will soon buy a larger bass boat for room purposes only but i will never get rid of my Xpress.  I can fish stumpy waters and not cringe when sliding over a jagged stump.  I truly find it beneficial to fish out of aluminum boat in the waters around here a lot of the time. 
Choose today who you will serve, but as for me and my house; WE WILL SERVE THE LORD.
Joshua 24:15

coldfront

Quote from: BassAssassign on March 05, 2013, 01:50:13 PM
Get the alluminum enough said, old boats just arnt reliable. ;PEP)

just to clarify:  both boats are aluminum, aren't they?

the triton also has that 'performance pad' so it'll track/carve better at higher speeds...

Oldfart9999

Quote from: saltfisher on March 05, 2013, 04:18:42 PM

The Triton will give you a better ride in that case, you'll be surprised how much an aluminum bass boat will pound you even in moderate waves. But again, get the boat that you think will be the best fit for you.
Rodney

BassCatBates

I'd go with the triton because it will be a little better in rough water plus the electronics are better.  I think you'd be good with either one though.
2009 MediaBass South Arkansas Division Angler of the Year.

Union County Bass Club.

saltfisher

I will probably never be anywhere with rough water. I would go to the susquahanna flats maybe twice a year.

coldfront

look at them both. I'm not there so I don't know what kind condition the triton is in...but from a design perspective, it's the better boat (functionality, etc)...they'll both float in skinny water.

saltfisher

I looked at the alumacraft and the shape was mint!! The guys only used it 4 times a year and he is a 1 owner. Only scratch I found on the whole boat was near the trolling motor, just from lowering and raising which still are not bad. No scratches at all on the bottom which surprised me. Looks like it came off the showroom floor. Motor ran great and started right up. The guy still had a loan on the boat, so just waiting for the title to show up at his bank, and then doing the transfer. Hopefully this weekend I can pick it up. I'm excited!!! I figured a this boat will be perfect with all the electric only lakes I fish. 

DocIrv

Good choice. Use it well and have a great time and be safe. Maybe one day I will see you on the flats. I'll be the guy in the green Hobie Outback kayak.  ~cf
UB members get a 20% discount. Use the coupon code UB20 during check out. If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
*But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I ret