The Classic is over ........... Let's talk about the Sabine........

Started by -Shawn-, February 24, 2013, 11:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Shawn-

Everyone of these guys that I talked to this week are talking 90-120 mile runs...

I had said something about that before, but now I can verify it is gonna happen.. Appears most of the field are either running to Mementau and some are tlking about running all the way to the basin.

JMGullo

Quote from: -Shawn- on February 24, 2013, 11:50:41 PM
Everyone of these guys that I talked to this week are talking 90-120 mile runs...

I had said something about that before, but now I can verify it is gonna happen.. Appears most of the field are either running to Mementau and some are tlking
about running all the way to the basin.

I don't see them running to the basin honestly. That's a long haul with two locks to make. Could be wrong

ssj3goten

It will be very mixed. I fish the tidal rivers of Mississippi and at time struggle to catch five keepers but I can catch 20 a day! The rain we are getting here has muddied the water which makes the fishing here even worse. Now the upside this is time when big fish are caught as the spawn is going on.
Winning stringers 13-17lbs a day with many 8-10lb bags my guess

-Shawn-

I don't see alot of them running deep in the basin, but They all say Henderson is doable with the right fish and none of them think it can be won in the sabine...

Alot of these Guys are Starting to run hole speed. Time is going to be less of an Issue at 80 mph

Mike Cork

It's definitely going to be interesting :-*

Sometimes I wish they would put limits on their travel areas but then that is just part of the game, if you're going to drive for 2.5 hours each way that leaves you 3 hours to fish...... You better have them.

With the exception of one tournament that I can remember, the elites seem to always find them and make the locals scratch their heads :surrender: That tournament was the Pittsburgh classic

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Creel Limit Zero

Quote from: Mike Cork on February 25, 2013, 10:07:56 AM
Sometimes I wish they would put limits on their travel areas but then that is just part of the game, if you're going to drive for 2.5 hours each way that leaves you 3 hours to fish...... You better have them.

Well, they did put limits on travel when they were in Green Bay.  Of course that was only 25 miles and took away Sturgeon's Bay.  Personally I love to hear these guys making crazy runs to only fish 3 hours.  I remember the one tournament Aaron Martens almost won because the Pro's that went with a long run couldn't get through the one Lock in time.  Creates a lot of excitement.   ~c~

-Shawn-

The faster these boats go and the better the fuel economy, the farther they will run if there is bigger fish to be had.  Even the local guys are saying it can't be won close.

I ask about the possibility of the Mermantau getting muddy..... Was told the if the fish are there, they can be caught, muddy or clear.

I am still shocked that 5 or 6 guys went all the way to Morgan city to prefishing..

Jared LeBlue

There are places in the Mermanteau that have good fish but they are few and far between. The Mermanteau is going to be muddy and I'm not talking about stained, I mean chocolate milk muddy. This tournament will be at the time of year when the rice farmers are water leveling and all of that muddy water ends up in the Mermenteau. For those that have been practicing up there, they are in for a shock. There have been several pros fishing up in Calcasieu River. The Calcasieu will be a gamble but of the river system has potential for better stringers. If the Calcasieu River is stable for a couple of weeks the guys that fish there will do good. If we have any flooding a week or two before the tournament it could be bad for those going there. There is a lot of marsh on the lower end of the sabine and I suspect several of them will be in those marshes. Pheonix Lake might get some looks and I suspect the black bayou will have quite a few boats. I think you may see some 15lb stringers but that will be one day deals. I just dont think the fishery will have what it takes to bring in 15 lbs a day for 4 days. The average should be around 9 to 11 lbs. All this area is tidal so that is going to be a big factor. Another factor for those that do stay on the Sabine is the generating schedules of Toledo Bend. That will play with the current and the water levels.  This system is going to challenge these guys and I personally can't wait to see what they do.
Ardent Prostaff

-Shawn-

Yeah I ask about the Muddy water and they just smiled and said those fish still eat....  ;D

Jared LeBlue

They better go get those new Elite tungsten 2 oz punch weights to get their bait to sink in that muddy water. ~roflmao I really don't think they realize just how bad it will be but on the flip side they are right the fish will still have to eat. If they are fishing some of the back water it might not be as bad. If someone can find an area where that black clear marsh water is mixing with the muddy water then they have found gold.  ;)
Ardent Prostaff

-Shawn-

Swindle said he ran up the calc so far he almost couldn't turn his boat around

-Shawn-

I think you are going to see a bunch of these guys in Henderson and some will be running to the far side of Mermentau. Very few are going to stay close.

Creel Limit Zero

Glad to hear the elite series are getting some tough conditions to deal with. 

Jared LeBlue

Quote from: -Shawn- on February 25, 2013, 03:37:11 PM
I think you are going to see a bunch of these guys in Henderson and some will be running to the far side of Mermentau. Very few are going to stay close.

Henderson? Where are they planning on fueling up? Thats a lot of running to go catch the same size fish. Henderson has some decent fish but like all the areas in this basin they have a bunch of small ones. More power to them. Like I said this one will be interesting.

Quote from: Creel Limit Zero on February 25, 2013, 04:08:12 PM
Glad to hear the elite series are getting some tough conditions to deal with. 

It's not going to be tough to catch a lot of fish, it's the size that will be the problem. I like these kind of tournaments, it will be interesting to see what they do. One thing is for sure they going to catch em. ;D
Ardent Prostaff

-Shawn-

Jared, the 120 mile run these guys are talking about is one way not round trip. lo

The guys looking around Morgan city were talking about having to fuel twice..

I was told that one guy running to bigger fish will force everyone fishing for the win to do the same..

It will be interesting.. Most have made their runs twice now to zero in on the fuel usage and have done it with a partner to plan for a camera man.

Bigwrench

I'm lost as heck on this fantasy fishing thing.  I know absolutely nothing about this river except what you guys are sharing. In fact I know nothing about river fishing period :) , except wading the James river for smallies one year with my brother that's it . So where do I start ?
       Would you say that someone who historically does good on rivers will most likely do good here ? Or is this a whole different set up than the Red ?

What would I look for if I had to research anglers to pick for the Fantasy team on Sabine?
         Not asking for specific anglers :) just how do you decide ? Where does someone like me who has very limited knowledge of tournament fishing and fantasy fishing start when trying to pick 5 anglers ?

Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

-Shawn-

The Guys who is the Local Stick would be Cliff Crochet............  Born and Raised in the Basin.
Tietje is a Local also.

Faircloth has spent ALOT of time in the area Also.

Guys like Vandam and Ike can never be counted out because of all the Team assistance they get.

All of the non Locals has been there with Local Help in the boat with them.  8)

DBrooke

Quote from: Creel Limit Zero on February 25, 2013, 10:23:45 AM
Well, they did put limits on travel when they were in Green Bay.  Of course that was only 25 miles and took away Sturgeon's Bay.  Personally I love to hear these guys making crazy runs to only fish 3 hours.  I remember the one tournament Aaron Martens almost won because the Pro's that went with a long run couldn't get through the one Lock in time.  Creates a lot of excitement.   ~c~

Gotta remember, that was Wisconsin that put the limit on them though.
This section under construction.

truth2

Honestly when i hear about llllllonnnng runs like this the first name that comes to my mind is A Mart cause he will stay close like he always does and actually fish for 8 hours instead of running.
Just my way of thinking thow so take it for what its worth.
Jaw breaker

-Shawn-

Quote from: truth2 on February 25, 2013, 10:09:30 PM
Honestly when i hear about llllllonnnng runs like this the first name that comes to my mind is A Mart cause he will stay close like he always does and actually fish for 8 hours instead of running.
Just my way of thinking thow so take it for what its worth.

The problem is the size of fish close will not win. Not even  close. this is from the Elite guys I have talked too.  Aaron won't be staying close this time either.  ~shade

Nutoy

Don't under estimate the Sabine. There are places that produce huge fish, and there are places that are loaded with dinks.
I think it's going to come down to fish management. If a fella finds one of those spots thats holding a some toads and doesn't beat it up, he'll do good.
The Sabine has produced 20+ lb sacks in the past. A few years ago, two locals fished a tourney on T Bend and were caught cheating. They had caught thier fish in the Sabine river and hauled them here to weigh in,, and won. Gotta love the polygraph.

BassCatBates

I talked to Matt Reed at BPS in Dallas back in January.  He said that this will definately be an Area tournament versus a pattern tournament.  He felt like there were two areas it could be won and said he felt like a 3lb average per fish would go a long way.... said you would see a ton of 14 inch 2lbers cross the scales but the bigger bites would be hard to come by.  He said he could easily run 50+ miles a day and that was a low estimate.
2009 MediaBass South Arkansas Division Angler of the Year.

Union County Bass Club.

-Shawn-

Sorry, but 20lb sacks on the Sabine or the Calc are an accident both are a once every 4 years accident..

Believe me, every one of these guys knows what it has taken to win every tourney that has been fished there since Katrina..

It is this simple... If one guy runs 40 miles to 2.5lb fish the next will run 60 miles to 3lb fish an so on..

The Sabine is going to realistically produce 10-13lb max bag over 4 days..
The Calc will be 12-15 if there lucky
When the first guy runs to 16-18 lbs worth of fish it forces every one of them to make the run..

They aren't fishing for club money... They will run as far as they have to.

Jared LeBlue

Some big names on the Calcasieu River today. There are at least 10 pros up here today. The river is high and muddy so the conditions are rough. Don't know how many will stay to fish here for the tournament. If they find the clear water in the back cuts look out things could get interesting.
Ardent Prostaff

ssj3goten

I fished tournaments on the tidal rivers of Mississippi which are probally similiar to those of TX/LA its been a mix. 2 weeks ago when it was really cold and strong north wind the fishing was on fire! With over 10lbs needed to cash a check with several 4-5lb fish. This weekend fished another tourny and many struggled to catch a 2-3 let alone limit of fish.