Bass Quest Magazine

Started by Mike Cork, December 27, 2012, 10:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coldfront

love the fact that you all are bridging the tournament series...

and okay, you just 'got me'...one more subsriber. ~c~

TomLeogrande

Guess just once - but keep the guesses coming!  I really want someone to win and until we have most of the anglers guessed - there is no sure winner.   

TomLeogrande

Thank you ColdFront - I think you will be very glad you did! 

Bigwrench

I need to get in on this subscription also ! I will try and figure out how to get it done this evening.  Thanks Tom
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

stumpy05

I'll say David walker

Just cause the other east tn guy was done taken, hope I win lol never won a contest wld be nice to win haha

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Tryin To Make It Pro, But Still Stuck In East Tn.
One Day, Ill Make It To Where I Wanna Be!

TomLeogrande

Also, be sure to LIKE us on Facebook - we'll be having some contest there as well.  We can't clutter up UB too much!!   Although, we all do enjoy UltimateBass.com.  https://www.facebook.com/BassQuest

I know Randy checks it often and Aaron and Brent browse it from time to time as well.

SonofDitka

Complete sleeper/dark horse guess because I like the guy: Shin Fukae
The only things that matter in life: Jeeps, guns and fishing.

d.branch3

Powell Rods.

duckhuntmcnutt

So ill go with an flw pro... Scott Martin??
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff www.solarbat.com  Denali Rods Pro Staff www.denalirods.com  Picasso Lures pro staff www.picassooutdoors.com, Livingston lures pro staff www.livingstonlures.com

jocko

Quote from: coldfront on December 27, 2012, 01:44:27 PM
good comments Jocko...

here's a couple things I'm thinking:
1.  appreciated the sentence in the article where they speak to Bassmaster and hope to enlarge the audience rather than compete for existing...   there is a very large appetite for information on fishing in general and bass fishing specifically.  I subscribe to as many 'good' magazines as there are out there.  Not just one.  I think there's lots of room for this one...and it'll earn it's keep or it won't.

Yeah - they did acknowledge Bassmaster - it must be a delicate thing.  I too have many subscriptions and feel there is always room - you're right cold front!

jocko

Quote from: TomLeogrande on December 27, 2012, 10:41:55 PM
Thanks for the good comments everyone. We appreciate it. I can assure you that even though Randy, Brent and Aaron's schedules are very busy - they are also very involved in this magazine.  In fact, so are Robin, Bobbi and Lesley - we are all working hard to make this magazine different, fun and still very informative. 

As for 10% advertising - well I don't know about you, but I am tired of reading a magazine in or out of bass fishing that has 40-45% advertising. Also, keep in mind for every advertiser a magazine has obligations to write about their products and not write (too much anyway) about competitors products. We don't want to do that either. We want to write about whatever we want - whenever we want without worrying about making $$$ from it. Truth be told, you hit the nail on the head. It's not all about money for any of us, its about sharing the love of the sport with everyone - in the way we want to share it.   

Lastly, I don't see it any different than an Elite Series or FLW Tour angler making a TV Show. In fact, that's probably more intrusive to the BASS or FLW enterprises.

Lastly, I am sure that we made more than a few people mad at us, but truth be told good competition will only help everyone make better magazines - and guess who wins with better magazines - THE READER.

Hope you all enjoy it.  It's been my dream to do my own magazine and when these three fantastic families wanted to be a partners in it - I was thrilled. I can't wait to get the next issue finished, its already shaping up to better than the first!!!   

Tom - my apologies - I guess I should have known the brain child might just be here on UB. Had I read the UB home page information rather than W2F version - I might have caught your involvement.  I can't imagine how much work it must be.  Good luck with it.  I am interested in it and will be subscribing.   My first thought was - there's  no way the Pro's could balance their schedules and pull this off - but now that I have read the UB article - I see how many people are involved.  I wish you great success!  I look forward to my first issue.  It looks good.  And my hats off to you for doing it for the right reason and not the money.  You are right about other magazines that are 50 % ads.  And many of the Pro's cross pollenate with FLW, PAA, TV, and others.  So if someone at Bassmaster gets bent, they will get over it.   Kudo's to you and much success!

jocko

My guess -  Marty Stone.  Purely a WAG.

cubsfan02449

TomLeogrande

Jocko - no reason to apologize!  We hope you love the magazine and we'd love whatever feedback anyone has for it.  Rest assured, Aaron, Brent and Randy's #1 focus (business wise) will always be fishing - but, working with outstanding writers, photographers and the best anglers should keep our magazine as one to get!   

Keep the guesses coming. 

TNDiver

I'm sold!  Just put in my membership!  I can't wait!

My guess for the cover is Tim Horton
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

truth2

Quote from: cubsfan02449 on December 29, 2012, 01:33:05 PM
Todd Faircloth
I was gonna go with my man faircloth but as you can see im to late.
Guess ill go on a limb with
Ish Monroe.
Jaw breaker

TomLeogrande

Alright - I didn't want to have to do this - but, sorry to those that have guessed so far. None of the above guesses are correct.   This will be the last comment I make on right or wrong guesses!

I have confirmed a Jersey from Brent Chapman - 2012 Elite Series AOY - for the first person to guess who will be on the next cover.

truth2

So do those who already guessed get a 2nd guess :))
Jaw breaker

bsimpson

jocko

Jacob Wheeler?  Man - this kids had an incredible career and he's just getting started!

TomLeogrande

Sorry no second guesses.  But we are going to do this for an Aaron Martens jersey on our Facebook page and you can guess there.  You'll have an advantage since a few anglers are eliminated from th list already on here.

Get in on the Facebook contest starting now  https://www.facebook.com/BassQuest

longdraw

Life is a game of ounces.

Smallie_Stalker

My guess is David Dudley. He's just been so consistant  over the last year or so. My first inclination was G-Man, but I am going to go with an FLW angler.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: TomLeogrande on December 27, 2012, 10:41:55 PM

As for 10% advertising - well I don't know about you, but I am tired of reading a magazine in or out of bass fishing that has 40-45% advertising. Also, keep in mind for every advertiser a magazine has obligations to write about their products and not write (too much anyway) about competitors products. We don't want to do that either. We want to write about whatever we want - whenever we want without worrying about making $$$ from it. Truth be told, you hit the nail on the head. It's not all about money for any of us, its about sharing the love of the sport with everyone - in the way we want to share it.   

Lastly, I am sure that we made more than a few people mad at us, but truth be told good competition will only help everyone make better magazines - and guess who wins with better magazines - THE READER.

Hope you all enjoy it.  It's been my dream to do my own magazine and when these three fantastic families wanted to be a partners in it - I was thrilled. I can't wait to get the next issue finished, its already shaping up to better than the first!!!   

First let me say congratulations!

I totally agree about the amount of advertising in some other magazines, and it will be refreshing to see info. on products other than those of the advertisers. I am so sick and tired of people not being able to talk about what works for them because it is not their sponsors product or not an advertisers product or website. I do understand the business side of the issue and the need to promote advertisers products and services, but not at the expense of denying the truth or preventing an angler from hearing about what actually worked etc. It is a nice change to see  something not motivated entirely by the amount of money that someone can make out of it. Ultimate Bass is like that and tha is one of the reasons I am proud to be a member.

As for people getting mad at you, I would say that you might not be doing your job right if they weren't. The only REAL reason that they could be truly mad at you is if you are offering a better product than they are. Like Abe Lincoln said "You can't please all of the people all of the time". The only people you have to worry about pleasing are your readers.

One small thing -  You say "its about sharing the love of the sport with everyone - in the way we want to share it." I applaud you all for that and support the idea, but I hope that you will also accept reader input on the magazine as well, because sometimes the way you want to share it might not be the way the reader wants or needs it. Please do not take this as a criticism, but just as a simple observation from personal experience with other magazines as it was meant to be.

I have looked over the digital edition of the first issue and I am sold. You will be getting my business. It may not be this week but it will be sometime before the month of January is out. Thanks for creating a great magazine. Tight Lines.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

BassmanRudy

Might have to try this mag out! Anything bass related that I can learn more from sounds Great!! Tom- what's the yearly subscription start off at?
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com