I want to welcome you to the next installment of Member Spotlight here on UltimateBass.com. This month’s spotlight is shining brightly on Kevin Oleen, or Swede from the great bass state of Florida. Let’s not waste any time, here’s Swede.
Hello everyone! My name is Kevin Oleen, also known as Swede here on Ultimate Bass. I grew up in central Minnesota, graduating from Blaine High School in 1985. I spent my next 4 years at the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado where I played football and rugby while receiving my degree. After graduating from the Academy, I attended pilot training and have spent the better part of my 18-year Air Force career flying different variations of the C-130 and involved with various tests as an operational test director. I have been married to my beautiful wife Wendy for 10 years and we have a healthy and active 6 year old daughter. We call Destin, Florida our home.
1. Do you have any other hobbies other than fishing? When I am not busy with fishing or fishing related activities, you will find me involved with home improvement, real estate investment, and expanding our AMSOIL dealership.
2. Do you fish for any other species other than bass? Not in Florida however, I do fish for walleye and pike when visiting my family and friends in Minnesota.
3. Name the one person who you have never fished with, that you would love to fish a
day with? Why? Kevin Van Dam (KVD). I’ve always respected his preparation, mental toughness, versatility, and instinct. Most of all though, he is an excellent role model for our up and coming youngsters. I respect him most for that, being the ultimate professional.
4. What is your favorite technique for catching bass? I prefer crankbaits and soft plastics. My least favorite technique is flipping grass mats.
5. What do you feel is the biggest mistake anglers make when fishing for bass? Lack of preparation – fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
6. When did you start fishing and why? I was very young when my Dad put a rod in my hands.
7. Can you tell us about your favorite local body of water and why it is your favorite? Lake Seminole and the rivers associated with it. Your options for catching good quality bass are endless.
8. Have you traveled across the country to bass fish, and if so, where have you gone? The USAF has allowed me the opportunity to fish in numerous states which has allowed me to fish for bass in many different ways.
9. What bodies of water have you not fished that you would like to fish? Lake Champlain (NY), Santee Cooper (SC), Potomac River (VA), Lake Kentucky/Barkley (KY), and Clear Lake (CA).
10. Tell us a little about your fishing equipment (boat, rods, reels, baits)? Boat – 2000 Nitro 911CDC, Rods – ESOX, Reels – Shimano, Baits – V&M/Cyclone Baits and variety of CBs.
11. What is the biggest bass you’ve ever caught, where did you catch it, and on what? 8 pounds, a pond on Eglin AFB, FL, caught on a plastic worm.
12. Any sponsors that you want to give some credit to? Bayou Outdoors, ESOX Rods, Catch-N.com, and UltimateBass. They have all fed my desire to better myself as an angler and as a person.
13. What are some of your future goals as far as fishing is concerned? I want to continue to improve as an angler, continue to introduce our kids to the sport, and make one of our Florida federation state teams again.
14. Tell us a little about the circuits/clubs you associate with? Miracle Strip Bass Club, Florida Bass Federation, Florida Federation Nation, FLW, BASS, ABA, and a couple of local bass trails.
I’d like to take this opportunity to thank Kevin for taking the time to answer the questions for myself and the site in particular. He has shown by his promptness that he is truely a great member of our site. Best wishes to Swede and his family in all their endeavours in the future.
Eric Huber is the Staff Editor here at UltimateBass.com and can be reached at email@example.com.
Price: $208.26Was: $259.99
As an Amazon Associate Ultimate Bass earns from qualifying purchases.