Women's Bassmaster Tour Cancelled

Started by Mike Cork, January 04, 2010, 12:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

Laurie just got an email from the Director of the Women's Bassmaster Tour (WBT) telling her that with great regret B.A.S.S. has decided to shut down the WBT, they sight declining participation since inception.

I think that if they would have given the Women more coverage [ESPN] or even at each event they could have had more participation. Meaning with better coverage the ladies could have received better support from sponsors to help cover costs of entry fees and traveling the country. As it stood all the women even Pam Martin-Wells still had to hold down jobs to survive the costs.

Take their Championship tournament here in Louisiana. When the Classic was here the radio, TV, hell even our local phone book had KVD on the cover, coverage and announcements everywhere. For the Ladies, if you didn't already follow it you didn't know it was here. B.A.S.S. only set out three bleacher stands and roped off a maybe 100 yards of an Academy parking lot for the ladies? How could they expect this to work with such little effort on their part.  Just goes to show B.A.S.S. and ESPN are about the dollar in their pocket not the fisher-persons.

Enough of my ramblings, how about yours, what's your thoughts?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Olebiker

I am convinced that BASS did not really want to be bothered with the women's tour.  They made it nearly impossible to find anything on the Web site.

J B

I think we will see at lot of things change in tournament fishing if something doesn't happen to change the economy fast.Berkley dumped all there FLW Stren Pros without even a thank you.One tournament Org. can't find a engine sponsor to put on there prize boats.Things are bad all over.But BASS has always been about the money first..
Laurie, just start fishing the BASS central div.You are just as good a fisherPerson as anyone there.Thats what Debra Hengst is going to do.

pawpaw

I really hate to see this , but I'm not surprised. They put minimum dollars and minimum effort into it and expected maximum results. I hope somebody else picks it up.
I don't mind not knowing all the answers, but I keep forgeting the danged questions.

nmanley

As bad as it is, I can understand it based on the economy and such. No business, ESPN or otherwise, can keep putting money in something that doesn't support it's self. A series is no good if they can't pay something back to the competitors and make it worth their wild, TV or not.

I was planning on trying to attend a WBT event just to see how it is and to give a little support by spending money in the area holding the event.  :(
Nolan Manley - Daleville AL

Groma

This is certainly not good news . I don't buy their lame excuse at all but would be shocked if they actually told the truth !

I feel sorry for all the ladies that put so much work and effort into making the WBT a success.

I fear however it may only be the tip of the iceberg.
"You have to fight for the right to fish "

Pro Reel

That stinks, they never even tried to make it work.

Swede

There was a Women's Bass Tour before BASS and there will be a Women's Bass Tour after BASS.  What people need to keep in mind is that this is a business and "business is business" as we like to say.  Like buying a home - there should be no emotional involvement, but usually is.  What BASS did for the WBT was bring visibility to our sport that was not there before - even if less than everyone would have liked.  Payouts I'm willing to bet were higher after BASS got involved too.  I'd love to see women transition to other BASS sponsored events like the Opens/Elite Series and FLW sposored events like FLW Series/Tour.  I know a couple of these ladies could compete with those already fishing at the top of our sport.  It will be interesting to see where this takes women's bass fishing.  Although I am sorry to hear the news - I am also hopeful that this will drive some of you ladies to fish in and compete against all anglers - not just just your fellow lady anglers!!  Good Luck and Good Fishin'!!
My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, your worries stay small.
Rascal Flatts

kevin dye

I agree with Mike. B.A.S.S. is all about the money. It's not a sport where both men and women a like can make a living at something they love to do and thats fish. It may have started out that way back when Ray Scott formed B.A.S.S. But now it's gotten to damn political. They are afraid the women will take something away from them. You know B.A.S.S. and ESPN are together on this. They may not get to cover their 5 or 6 pros they talk about every week. They forget it's not the 5 or 6 pros that keeps bass fishing alive. It's every damn one of us who fish for the same cause. To be the best at it as we can be.  B.A.S.S. is making a big mistake 1st. the cut co-anglers now stopping WBT. If they start cutting people the PEOPLE will start cutting them.
    If their entry fee wasn't 5000.00 to fish you would have more people fishing. If they would lower their standards some. Maybe some of us little people would have a shot of fishing for a living as well.
    All this is wrong, I hope the ladies will over come this and keep pounding that water. GOOD LUCK!!!
sponsors:
KaRu lures         Koppers lures
line and lure       Ike-con tackle
BTS                  Equatec tackle
rod wrap            Pro-Cure
Izorline

Beagle

Sorry to hear this. I enjoyed watching the women fish as much as I enjoyed the Elites. Heck, I was the one Well's was refering to that went "Ike" at their championship. Sad, sad day for the sport of bass fishing. I wish the FLW orother tour would get very proactive and take everything away from ESPN.

Jared LeBlue

The one great thing about this sport is that it has no racial or "woops"ual barriers. With that said I know it is harder for women to get sponsors and noticed out there on the trail. I liked the idea of the WBT but to be honost I think they should compete on the same level. There is nothing that says a woman can not compete in the opens or even in the elite series. They gonna have to get out there and put their best efforts forward. The fish don't know that it's a man or woman. Lets get behind these women and support them in the opens and the elites for those that make it. The shutting down of the WBT may seem like a big blow right now but I think it will force those women who know they have what it takes to go that extra mile and compete with best of the best. I wish all these women the best and hope that things work out for them.
Ardent Prostaff

joe4reel

I think there is some great responses on this board! My hats off to you all.......My wife was a Pro angler on the WBT and i know she sank her heart and hard earned $$$ into it.. Now what???? No notice no nothing to sponsors or otherwise... Puts the ladies in a heck of a position to say the least.. It truly is a sad loss, these ladies have struggeld to keep their head afloat and have been on their knees begging for more media and exposure. What does ESPN expect?? WIth that said, i too realize the economy is beyond awful for all involved.......Lots of broken dreams out there........All i can say is go get em Pam Martin Wells and my thoughts to all the ladies who have worked so hard for so many years to have a place to call home on a tour...DOn't give up! Keep reaching! Your class acts ladies with or without the exposure, now with or without a tour.. you hold your head up, Grab your gear and we will be looking for you in the opens etc.....You can fish with the best of em! I've seen you do it first hand without all the media glitz, a shame the rest of the world didn't get to pull for you as i did..............very sad indeed

javelin225ho

i just went on ESPN to read the article, it isn't there..........wonder why?

DBrooke

This section under construction.

Russ199A

Honestly, I don't see how they can say "they did everything to keep it going" they barely promoted it. BASS is so full of chit now, they are going to destroy the elites as well. Soon we will turn on the TV saturday morning to watch "The 10 BASS Masters". Which one of these 10 guys will win this week. Oh, wait, it's already pretty much that way now.
If I was Scott, I'd be kicking some people in the teeth they lie through.  >:(
And folks wonder why I'm not a member or subscribe to the magazine...  ::)
2014, 2016 & 2017 TCTC AOY - With a little help from the man upstairs!

lhcbassman

maybe BASS should just make it mixed have men and women i see women fish just as good  if not better than guys it would be great to see that
give a man a fish he eats for a day. But you teach a man to fish and his wife wont see him again.

Steve_W

Follow the $$$  You can only get out what you put in.

Steve

joe4reel

The Women need our support! i appreciate seeing that in this forum... here is BASS explanation to those whom are trying to find another home to fish.. with NO notice this is their option..email quoted from BASS............Many have also inquired about other fishing opportunities.  Because of the untimemliness of the decision, many anglers are having to deal with sponsors and schedules.  BASS is attempting to assist the top 30 in the points standings and all others who inquire about Open tournament opportunities.  The opportunities are somewhat limited at this time, but I am suggesting that anglers look at the Bassmaster Weekend Series, operated by American Bass Anglers at:  http://www.abaproam.com/ .   Although they only offer one day tournaments they are more localized which can reduce travel and expenses while at the same time provide great tournament experience.

Well if you are locked into contracts with sponsors first you have to get in somewhere to fish (heaven forbid your not in the top 30) and if you do get in, be sure and let your sponsors know that it is a one day tournament though you are contracted to more.........Again i understand the economy and all that comes with it and i understand a business decision when it is made.. But how about some NOTICE to all involved... there are talks of another tournament trail in the works, you tell that to the sponsors the women have had to scrape and beg to get and will continue to have to beg to keep on board.......Geesh......................

Mike Cork

Joe4reel, you will find that the Ultimate Bass forums love the woman anglers and would do just about anything to help support them.

I just don't see how BASS thinks the Ladies will be able to keep their sponsors fishing the weekend series. And of course they made the announcement after they opened registration to the Opens so the hopes of the ladies getting in there is almost nill. This is ridiculous. Not only did they let the ladies down they also made it impossible to continue. It's like they stabbed them  in the heart then twisted it to make sure they were dead

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Ron Fogelson

Quote from: Mike on January 07, 2010, 10:50:51 AM
It's like they stabbed them  in the heart then twisted it to make sure they were dead

I agree that the timing was calculated by BASS just for this reason.   ~rant

bass1cpr

Maybe the Ladies can join the PAA and get something going next year with them. It all takes time but but might be an avenue to a professional ladies tour that could last.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

bassn1

Great Idea.  :-* Ihope someone takes it and runs with it.

"Success is a Journey. Not a destination".

joe4reel

Mike i agree with you 100% ~c~ Great join the PAA it is a great organization no doubt.. but what do you tell your sponsors for the year your out because you didn't have notice to get into something different to fish? with the economy and already struggling to get sponsors, heck of alot to ask your sponsors to sit tight, you'll be on it next season.............Again, BASS/ESPN requires notice to get your entry fees back or you lose it.. they require notice for everything to their benefit.. Very Very Dirty how they did the ladies........I look forward to some of these ladies they maybe can get their foot in the door, not because their women, but because they deserve a fair shake to follow their dreams and careers which is what this is too most involved....The women can fish with the men, this isn't about their OWN trail, it's about no doors open this late in the game for them to walk into.. Hold your heads up ladies, we're pulling for you....... ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

Team KaRu

Really a shame the money and interest ran out on the Women's trail... I was waiting to see who would finally crack the top ten at the Bassmaster Classic. Now who fishes in that upcoming spot?
Like most American businesses they folded up overnight without notice.  Maybe Obama can get out some quick stimulus money to these newly added UNEMPLOYED!

And I had a side bet that Laurie Cork would be carrying some of those trophies and those oversized checks in the very near future.
PB: 10.3 lbs - Lake Fork

Beagle

I expect one WBT pro to be fishing in the Elites in 2011. I spoke to her a couple of days ago and she is fishing the Central and Southern Opens this season. She WILL make it. She will prove this in February.