My take on the Field & Stream Eagle Talon 12

Started by kidd, July 11, 2012, 11:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kidd

I finally got the kayak I bought last week on the water this morning and I can definitely say two things as a new kayak owner. The seat sucks but fishing from a kayak is a blast!  I went to my local dead sea to get acquainted with the boat more than anything but caught quite a few fish too. It's nice to be able to get into the back of some of these stump fields that bigger boats can't. I got to fish areas today that I never could in my big boat.

The kayak is not the lightest but I unload and load it with ease and that includes what little gear I'm carrying so far. I got their paddle too and it seems to work fine but I wouldn't have anything to compare it to. I can definitely see where one of those hobie pro anglers would make fishing easier but my boat was $450 and the hobie is $2500. Not really fair to compare I suppose. The kayak tracked well, was relatively quick considering the operator is a rookie, and handled fine. With more time I'm sure I'll get the layout how I want it but for now this is how I'm fishing it and it worked ok. For the money I'm happy with it but I can sure see me looking hard at that hobie soon. :o

Those practice golf balls are a perfect fit for the scupper holes under the seat. Otherwise your hiney is gonna get wet.  ;). Happy to answer any questions.

UglyStikYooper

It didn't come with the scupper hole plugs? Those hobies look nice but you won't be able to get to some places because they are so big.

kidd

No plugs and the hobie is probably just wishful thinking. I like the concept of the mirage drive to keep my hands somewhat free.

bonerfortuna

You should have gotten plugs, if not go to the store and get them. Better and easier than golf balls.
Peter

kidd

Are you saying most kayaks come with plugs or specifically this brand should have?  I've called two Dicks stores and they both say this brand doesn't come with plugs.

copnjax

I have two Hobies....a 2-seater and a single seater (Mirage "sport").  My sport weighs 48 lbs.  Easy to carry to any body of water.   I recently caught an 11 3/4 lb bass in the Sport.   Let me tell you, that is a blast in a kayak!!!
Retired after 34 yrs. with Jacksonville P.D.  Now I have time to hunt and fish!

UglyStikYooper

I'm a member of a very large kayaking group and haven't heard of anyone having to buy their plugs. But then again we all fish Jackson,OK, or Hobies so that's expected to come with it.

Please do not use Outdoor Hub Mobile, Please find and use TapaTalk for your phone

kidd

Quote from: copnjax on July 11, 2012, 01:37:42 PM
I have two Hobies....a 2-seater and a single seater (Mirage "sport").  My sport weighs 48 lbs.  Easy to carry to any body of water.   I recently caught an 11 3/4 lb bass in the Sport.   Let me tell you, that is a blast in a kayak!!!
I bet!  I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on a pro angler.

kidd

Oh and I broke a Dobyns DX704 today too. Completely my fault. :-[

dmaphukn

kidd

TNDiver

I was going to warn you about overhanging trees with your rods sticking up.  I have had some close calls in my canoe with my rods pointing up.  You get focused on an area or a bite and next thing you know you are in the trees!

BTW, you can still walk to dog with your rod tip up instead of down near the water, like you may do while standing!  Just flick it back toward you from 12 to 2, not down, and it will walk for you.
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

kidd

Yea I learned years ago that you can get the walking the dog action with your rod in several positions from fishing the banks of ponds with tall grass. My rod got damaged in my truck on the way back because I didn't tie them down correctly.  Lesson learned.

TheLastRodBender

Quote from: kidd on July 11, 2012, 08:30:08 PM
Piss poor transporting

ouch... the only thing in the world worse then you breaking your own rod, is someone you let 'borrow' it and they do everything right and it happens, and you can see the guilt on their face.

Elian52

I had a Field and Stream Talon 12 as well and for the price; you can't get anything better. The space, the lay out, the anchor, the cargo space inside and on top of it...can't really complain. I just bought an Ocean Kayak Trident 13 so I let my Talon 12 go. This kayak catapulted me to get serious into kayak fishing.

kidd

Mines still going strong and I love it however I can see where one would want to upgrade to one of the higher end yaks like you got.