Cajun Red

Started by Jared LeBlue, January 09, 2007, 12:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared LeBlue

I've been fishing cajun red now for the past 6 months and I have to say I like it. I was not sure at first if it would actually diappear underwater like they claim but I must say I have had no problems drawing strikes with it even in very clear water. I went to Indian Creek, which has very clear water, and was throwing a worm using 6lb braid. My partner was getting 4 bites to my 1. I switched poles and went to the cajun red 14lb test and our bite ratio became the same. He was using a clear 10lb test mono and I was getting just as many bites with the 14 cajun red. Another thing I like about it is it is very easy to see above water. If you are a line watcher this is the string for you.
Ardent Prostaff

fishforfree

Nice Jared!

I have been using the 4lb test for crappie fishin' and absolutely love it. 

I need to get some more actually :-\ now that I think of it.

BassCast26

did u say cajun red braided? i have not seen such a thing in here in maine. i am very pleased with the cajun 10lb mono, and would definately like to try the braided. thank you very much :) Learn someting every day on this forum ;D
Shimano Reels
St. Croix Rods

LoonyToon

I found that the 12# test has very near the same diameter as 10# Mono so I have it rigged on 2 spinning rods and like it very much....It is easier for these old eyes to see.....

That is better than I can say for the Silver Thread-----Toooooo Much Memory for me......
gave the spools to the next door neighbor

Keep the Rod Tip up and the Hook Sharp

Jared LeBlue

Quote from: BassCast26 on January 09, 2007, 08:13:05 PM
did u say cajun red braided? i have not seen such a thing in here in maine. i am very pleased with the cajun 10lb mono, and would definately like to try the braided. thank you very much :) Learn someting every day on this forum ;D

Nope! I said I was using braid and then switched to a pole that had cajun red on it.
Ardent Prostaff

OCBassman

I love Cajun-Red I think it is the best bang for the buck.

BassCast26

Quote from: Rattle on January 10, 2007, 04:56:16 AM
Nope! I said I was using braid and then switched to a pole that had cajun red on it.
oh, my bad  ~sweat i was getting all excited though, thinking that there was a braided cajun red lo
Shimano Reels
St. Croix Rods

Swede

All I use on my spinning gear - have used it for a couple years now and love it. :-*
My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, your worries stay small.
Rascal Flatts

Quick Skirt

How long before the memory sets in and need to change it out ?

Shawn

Swede

I fish quite a few tourneys so change it out quite regular - a couple full days of heavy use I change.  Not necessarily because I have to, but do so because it gives me peace of mind knowing I have fresh stuff spooled.  I don't necessarily respool the whole reel either.  I pull about half off - tie new line to old and spool fresh on.  I think it a waste to spool the whole thing every time.  3-4 times a year everything comes off. 

To answer your question - I don't know.  Never keep it on long enough to find out. 

http://www.ultimatebass.com/content/view/81/148/
My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, your worries stay small.
Rascal Flatts

dawsonb

I have used it and it is very good line, but I know for a fact that the red thing is a gimick and that bothers me and keep me from buying it. I was a die hard Stren man untill I found silver thread and I have become a die hard silver thread man ever since.
Thanks and have a great day!

BassCast26

the red thing is a gimick? :-\
Shimano Reels
St. Croix Rods

OCBassman

Quote from: BassCast26 on January 11, 2007, 06:08:07 AM
oh, my bad  ~sweat i was getting all excited though, thinking that there was a braided cajun red lo

Power Pro Makes a red braid.

dawsonb

Quote from: BassCast26 on January 11, 2007, 09:23:51 PM
the red thing is a gimick? :-\

Yes it is a gimick. Color does go away under water but it does not disapear it turns black or gray. Different shades of color loose there luster at different depths. Due mainly to the amout of light that hits them. Without light you have no color only black and white. I suspect to a fish it would be like us watching black and white television.

Jared LeBlue

The line is translucent so when you no longer have the red color you have clear line. If it were solid you would see a grey line. The color spectrum of red is the first to go in water. Now that all depends on clearity and all that good stuff but it will be the first color to go. The good thing about Cajun Red is you can see it on top of the water very easy, which is why I like it.
Ardent Prostaff

dawsonb

Red translucent or not will turn gray or black not clear.

Jared LeBlue

It does not change color, it loses the color hue, spectrum or whatever you want to call it. Solid objects apper gray because you are seeing the object, like a hook or even braid and there is no color too it so it appears grey. If line is translucent there is nothing to reflect off of therefor it will appear just as a clear line would. You will see the same thing with red transluncent line as you would clear line at the depth where the color red is no longer visible.
Ardent Prostaff

dawsonb

Pigments are pigments and unless they are ultra violet they will be seen as grey under water regardless of wether they are opaque or transluscent.

HellaBass

Disapearing or not, I like it because it is affordable and very tough, particulary the Lightinin

AJ

If ya using the same Cajun Red I am it has a lot of memory  very strong and durable memorable

dawsonb

I won't disagree about how it functions mechanicly, because it is a good line, but I will not spend any money with shakespeare for anything. The marketing practices they are using for cajun red are fraudulent.

BeetleSpinQueen

I think it was originally supposed to be a salt water line but it has been being used in fresh water as well i tried it but it was a little to stiff for my likeing with 8lb test i like to use the trilene xl for most of my applications got a 6lbder on 8 with the xl just have to play the fish right and have your drag set properly and not try to horse the fish or you will break it off everytime.

Gman

I like it pretty good and use it sometimes. I use berkley big game most of the time never had any problem with it.
!!Garrett Toney Outdoors!!
www.toneyoutdoors.com

cjr4497

it is cheap and it is good. you can't go wrong with that. 

the color is not a gimmick. i have had days when the red line caught all or most of the fish. a friend and i were using the same worm, pound test line, and everything. i had eight bass in the boat and he had none. we then switched poles to see what the deal was. he started catching bass. i let him catch 3 or 4 and i took my rod back. another time we had 4 guys in the boat fishing redfish. i was the only one with red line and i had five reds to their one.

if it ain't braid on my rod it is cajun red cast!

p.s. i mark my braid with a red marker when it fades >:D

cjr4497

Quote from: BassCast26 on January 11, 2007, 06:08:07 AM

you are in luck. power pro is making red braid now ~c~